Protesters protesters everywhere..

• Posted: 23 July 2001 07:44 PM

Aarrgghh.. I turned on the news this morning and saw to my great dismay that an estimated 100,000 people are protesting (and rioting) the G8 Summit in Italy today.

Am I the only one who is frustrated to no end by these people? First it’s London, then Seattle, then Quebec, now Italy. It seems that we can’t even talk about world trade and other global issues anymore without a bunch of rioters crowding the streets trying to make their point that.. something.. is really, really bad.

Do these people even have a clue about what it is they’re supposedly against? They always make a big scene and cause millions in damage (and get themselves gassed) but I never hear what it is they’re protesting. It’s always some vague thing like ‘protesting globalization’ but that isn’t helpful. Globalization is a big topic - be specific.

All I see is a bunch of people who have absolutely no idea what it is they’re against making a lot of trouble and wrecking things whenever our governments try and talk about things. Today the G8 is scheduled to talk about giving money to help stop the spread of AIDS in Africa and some environmental issues. It is widely expected that everyone will also be getting on Bush’s case about his Missile Defence System and his backing out of the Kyoto environmental agreement. What’s to protest!?!? It seems to me like our governments are collectively trying to make things better for everyone.

• Posted: 20 July 2001 11:14 AM #1

I think it would be more useful for the people doing all of the protesting to picket in front of Motorola headquarters, shouting “No Gig? No Sale!” and “We want a gigahertz, not some lame excuses!” or something like that. Really light a fire under Motorola’s butt to get faster processors out for the Mac.

That’s my idea, anyway.

I think the reason you aren’t getting a clear message from the protestors when the global leaders meet is because there are actually HUNDREDS of groups protesting everything from use of nuclear energy to whaling to raising genetically engineered crops. With so many different things being protested, no one message will stand out very much.

Signature

May you live in interesting times.
    —Ancient Chinese curse

• Posted: 22 July 2001 01:33 PM #2

I think it would be more useful for the people doing all of the protesting to picket in front of Motorola headquarters, shouting “No Gig? No Sale!” and “We want a gigahertz, not some lame excuses!” or something like that. Really light a fire under Motorola’s butt to get faster processors out for the Mac.

Nice idea!

Seriously though,we should remember that the ones causing the violence and distruction are a minority,I was in London,passing thru Oxford circus on the day of the may day riots, and it was a select few anarchist thugs wearing masks to cover their identities. The people who were peacefully demonstrating didn’t have masks on and were proud to show their faces,they had nothing to hide and were behaving responsibly.
    Unfortunatly the Metropolitan Police didn’t see this and decided to come down HEAVY on anyone and everyone,even those like myself who were just passing thru on a summers afternoon in the city!
    For those americans not in the know,Oxford Circus is a junction where regents street and oxford street meet and the Police basically penned everyone in and did not allow people to leave. Unfortunatly,the people who did manage to escape were the trouble makers and everyone else had to wait for hours before being allowed to leave in controlled amounts.

Crazy. Although to be honest I still thought the police did a good job,there was very little damage and no one was hurt which is the most important thing.

As for the people of Genoa,I can only feel for them,its horrible to see the city you love being torn up by anarchists intent of just causing trouble.

Signature

Visit my fantastic iTools constructed website,go on,whats the worst that can happen?

http://homepage.mac.com/stupidfish/

• Posted: 22 July 2001 01:42 PM #3

Do these people even have a clue about what it is they’re supposedly against? They always make a big scene and cause millions in damage (and get themselves gassed) but I never hear what it is they’re protesting. It’s always some vague thing like ‘protesting globalization’ but that isn’t helpful. Globalization is a big topic - be specific.

In Italy at the moment the main focus of the REAL peaceful protesters is the cancelling of third world debt,trying to get Blair,Bush (can he be classed as a world leader??? ) and the other guy,Sroder (can’t spell it) to totally wipe the slate clean with the 3W countries.

There is a longer answer to your question,but I’m SURE you don’t want me to rant for 20 pages about why they are protesting

Signature

Visit my fantastic iTools constructed website,go on,whats the worst that can happen?

• Posted: 22 July 2001 03:22 PM #4

I think it’s sad that people who have real issues to bring up (cancelling third world debt, etc..) are completely drowned out by a small group of people who show up for the sole purpose of making trouble. I got close to nothing from the news coverage here about what 100,000 people were doing in Genoa - just that they were rioting and wrecking everything.

Perhaps if there wern’t any riots we might actually hear about issues that need addressing. It’s unfortunate that the people causing trouble don’t have an agenda outside of destruction (anarchists!?), even more unfortunate that these people get all the press.

• Posted: 22 July 2001 03:53 PM #5

I got close to nothing from the news coverage here about what 100,000 people were doing in Genoa - just that they were rioting and wrecking everything.

Thats also part of their arguement,world wide media control over our daily lives. Eg.The media only supplied you with half the story,that all the protesting in Genoa was bad.

I can assure you that the violence has been caused by a minority of thugs,be them anarchists,far right and left wing campaigners or just people looking for a fight with a water cannon. 90% of those 100,00 people are peaceful people just looking to air their views.

By the way,I’m not supporting these protesters,I actually dissagree with many of their views,globalisation being the main,but I do think that world debt is a issue that our leaders hold the power to fix,and I feel that its important for them to be able to transmit this message without elements of the media distorting the truth.

Phew,I went OTT there Think different guys,thats what we’re being told by our god

Signature

• Posted: 23 July 2001 11:39 AM #6

Cancel world debt? Hm, I wonder if I can do that with my home loan after I take all the money and {TOSS} it away.

Or, in the words of Calvin Coolidge, “They hired the money, didn’t they?”

Of course, they claim that the third world is in debt because of those wicked, bad, evil, capitalist banks. That the leaders of the third world governments took the money and socked it away in private Swiss bank accounts is never brought up.

And do you know who will have to pay for it? “The wealthy governments.”

And where will the wealthy governments get the money? “The elite rich.”

Wrong. The elite rich are too smart to trust their money where the tax authorities can get to it. It will come down to you and me and every taxpayer in the G8 countries.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted: 23 July 2001 01:06 PM #7

Well stated, tbone.  I too get frustrated with those who say that it is the fault of the capitalists and banks for loaning the money to Third World governments in the first place.  Then there’s the evil World Bank and WTO that make economic reforms a prerequisite for additional loans.

There are certainly a variety of issues at play, mind you, and I think there is a case for eliminating some debt, but the “anti-globalization” forces don’t have a good grasps of their own issues IMO.

That said, and this is why I am actually posting to this thread, I find it deliciously ironic that the “anti-globalization” “groups” use the Internet, a tool and technology made possible by corporations and globalization itself, to get and stay organized.  That is just so beautifully hilarious, it escapes description.

There are problems in the world that need to be addressed and fixed, but the hooligans spraking the violence are only a part of the problem.  The people intending on peaceful demonstrations about issues I don’t think they fully understand, that then get dragged into the violence need to rethink their actions.  They are being duped just as much, if not more so, by the hooligans as they are by corporate giants.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 23 July 2001 07:44 PM #8

On 2001-07-22 18:22, Morto wrote:
    Perhaps if there wern’t any riots we might actually hear about issues that need addressing. It’s unfortunate that the people causing trouble don’t have an agenda outside of destruction (anarchists!?), even more unfortunate that these people get all the press.

You know, when you said this a thought came to mind.  Think of the state that the computer “platform wars” are in.  There are so many idiots that go around the internet, spreading hatred and lies and FUD.  They are ignorant, but they don’t know it.  And they don’t WANT to know it.  Somehow to them, making some other person mad makes them happy.  Insulting a person’s computer platform makes them more secure in their own little world.  Why can’t they just understand that some people like their platform, and they have their own reasons for using it.  But they take it upon themselves to convince other people that a certain platform is “useless” etc. etc.

WHat always gets me is that people call us Mac people “zealots”.  I wonder if they ever EVER take a look at themselves.  There are so few Mac people who I have found that do anything more than spread truths about the platform to combat FUD.  I suppose PC users get tired of some of those people rubbing it in their face whenever a security hole is found in Microsoft.  I can understand this.  I mean, I can sympathize with them.  But to the extent that they ostracize any and every Mac user on the planet is absurd.  I have grown weary of this crap that no rational person should have to put up with.  I want it to end.  The talkback sections at ZDNet and Maccentral are perfect examples.  There are no good things to find there, only hate.

Lets stop the platform wars people.  Say it with me.. from this day forward I promise to waste no more of my energy spreading hate on the internet.  And I promise to be kinder to my fellow netizens.  There is a real person at the other end of that connection, lets treat them with the respect that they deserve.  Sorry, I got off topic. 

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Retro on 2001-07-23 22:44 ]</font>

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.