iWeb question

Posted: 06 December 2006 09:27 AM

Anybody know how to make clicking on a link open that link in a new browser window?

Posted: 07 December 2006 07:10 AM #1

Re: iWeb question

[quote author=“burreyeann”]Anybody know how to make clicking on a link open that link in a new browser window?

Unfortunately, you can’t do that in iWeb. Instead, you’ll have to edit the HTML after you publish your site. You can use an HTML editor, or even TextEdit for the task. The trick is to find the HTML code for your URL link, and add the “target” tag to it.

For example, if I had a link to TMO attached to “Visit The Mac Observer,” the HTML would look like this:
    Visit The Mac Observer

After adding the target tag, it looks like this:
    Visit The Mac Observer

Hopefully Apple will make this an easier task by launching a new version of iWeb in January.

Jeff

Posted: 08 December 2006 07:55 AM #2

smile Thanks for the reply Jeff. I found what you were talking about. The only way I know how to do this is to open my web page with Safari. View the source and copy that to TextEdit. Add the “target” tag and save as .html. The problem I’m having now is how do I publish the new page to .mac.

rolleyes I seem to remember that Netscape 4.7 had a “publish” feature that I never used, too bad Safari doesn’t have this (or is my recall wrong?). I am going to try a few more things.

Hopefully Apple will make this an easier task by launching a new version of iWeb in January.

I second that.

Edit @ 11:25 - I opened my site in Netscape 4.77 in Classic. WHEW!! Looks terrible!! No links work!! I tried changing the source and publishing from NS and got a message “Invalid Method” and some other things. Back to the drawing board.

• Posted: 11 December 2006 10:12 PM #3

[quote author=“burreyeann”]Edit @ 11:25 - I opened my site in Netscape 4.77 in Classic. WHEW!! Looks terrible!! No links work!! I tried changing the source and publishing from NS and got a message “Invalid Method” and some other things. Back to the drawing board.

If you want a site that’s Netscape 4 compatible,  it’s probably not going to happen with iWeb. However, we do have to accept a cutoff at which older browsers just won’t display the page correctly.

It’s really unfortunate if iWeb can’t even make the links in your page usable in an older browser, though. Maybe the links in question involve some JavaScript?

Posted: 12 December 2006 07:13 AM #4

:D :D :D Thanks again Jeff!!

Let’s see where I went wrong…1. Don’t copy and paste from a browser window-open the original file. 2. Open in plain text and save with rich text commands allowed in html. 3. PLACE THE CODE IN THE RIGHT SPOT!

:wink: I am now in the process of updating my Old Shopper Pages to do this.

+

David, you are probably right. I’m just happy I’m starting to figure this stuff out (with help from the good people here)!!

I’ll start learning Java someday…but not today. By the time I can code some Java, Safari 2.0 will be considered ancient.  LOL