David Coursey switches to Mac!!!

• Posted: 21 April 2002 09:58 AM

Well, it seems that after his final article summarising his ‘experiment’ David has come down firmly in the Mac camp (http://www.anchordesk.com) .

Whilst he points out a couple of negatives the article is approx 90% positive about his experience. (One point he raises is the lack of an easy-to-use low-end Web-building program). Specifically he states that if you create anything (pic, websites, movies, books) you are better off with a Mac!

He also loves his iPod.

But will this glowing review significantly shift more Apple tin? I like to think it will, but what do others think? I live in the UK so don’t have a clear view of how influential David Coursey is.

nestreet
    iMac G4 700 Combi

Signature

nestreet

aka Matthew (UK)

iMac (G4)

Posted: 18 April 2002 06:26 AM #1

Thanks for the heads up, nestreet!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 18 April 2002 07:03 AM #2

One thing he says that’s disturbing is that he sees no hint of a version of RealPlayer for X.  I don’t particularly like RealPlayer, but it is a basic web tool.  I hope Coursey just missed the wink and the nod.

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

• Posted: 18 April 2002 07:35 AM #3

HA! I told you all that he would be assimilated. He is one of us now. Bwaaaaahaaaahaaaaha! Bwaaaaahaaaahaaaaha! [SNORT] Bwaaaaahaaaahaaaaha!

Signature

• Posted: 18 April 2002 07:37 AM #4

Coursey writes: “But if I just want to sit down and write—and use a computer that doesn’t get in the way—Microsoft Office for Mac and OS X are a powerful combination. A Mac is a perfectly credible desktop or portable system for me, even if sometimes I run Windows on it. Mac, enhanced by OS X, has a level of simplicity and transparency in operation that allows it to get out of the way and just let me work. That’s something Windows never does.”

To be honest, I don’t understand the last sentence. I have heard this before from other users, and just don’t get it. When I use MS Office for Windows, I don’t see where “Windows gets in the way.” What does this mean? I realize there are some differences with interfaces, but come on, this is just goofy. When I am working, I use Macs and PCs, and find that both are effective in getting my various jobs done.

Mitch

Signature

Hmmm… software.

• Posted: 18 April 2002 07:41 AM #5

On 2002-04-18 09:18, nestreet wrote:
    Well, it seems that after his final article summarising his ‘experiment’ David has come down firmly in the Mac camp (http://www.anchordesk.com) .

Whilst he points out a couple of negatives the article is approx 90% positive about his experience. (One point he raises is the lack of an easy-to-use low-end Web-building program). Specifically he states that if you create anything (pic, websites, movies, books) you are better off with a Mac!

He also loves his iPod.

But will this glowing review significantly shift more Apple tin? I like to think it will, but what do others think? I live in the UK so don’t have a clear view of how influential David Coursey is.

nestreet
    iMac G4 700 Combi

I am glad he likes his iMac, but I don’t think Coursey is going to do much for Mac business. I don’t consider him a very influential writer. I’d rather read Dvorak or Ebert.

Mitch

Signature

Hmmm… software.

• Posted: 18 April 2002 11:05 AM #6

i was wrong before when i said he was going to bash the Mac. guess not. happy day!

Signature

A Mac Daddy in a new level.

• Posted: 18 April 2002 01:07 PM #7

When I got my 266 MHz Grape iMac, I got a CD of Adobe Pagemill. I never used it, but wouldn’t that count as a low-end web design program for the Mac?

Does Apple still include Pagemill with new iMacs and iBooks?

• Posted: 18 April 2002 09:39 PM #8

Hey here’s some Dvorak for ya Sigmascape.

His thinking on windows xp"There is something terribly wrong with this operating system.”

dvorak article

(edit: fixed link! -Raena)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raena on 2002-04-19 05:22 ]</font>

• Posted: 19 April 2002 02:36 AM #9

I don’t know what Coursey’s problem is with the whole ‘low end web design’ thing anyway. Is it really THAT important? And when there are so many inexpensive shareware programs for this anyway, does Apple even *need* to do this?

I figure if that’s his main complaint, the Mac’s going really well.

To be honest, I don’t understand the last sentence. I have heard this before from other users, and just don’t get it. When I use MS Office for Windows, I don’t see where “Windows gets in the way.” What does this mean? I realize there are some differences with interfaces, but come on, this is just goofy. When I am working, I use Macs and PCs, and find that both are effective in getting my various jobs done.

Maybe that’s cause you’ve learned to get around it.  I’ve learned to get around some things too, after some years of being in Windows for work and school.  My brother also learned to get around his sticky accelerator pedal in his car.

That Dvorak article outlines many of the issues my friends and co-workers have seen, although they didn’t get quite as unlucky as Mr. Dvorak seems to. There’s a forum post quoted on that page (in case they’re not static, I’ll post it here):

Upgrading a PC takes some planning and knowledge, going into it blindly is often a giant headache.  This is not just specific to Windows XP, I’m sure if many of you blindly converted your OS to Unix, Linux, BSD, DOS or what-have-you, it would be quite a lesson to learn.

The point is, it shouldn’t be such a task to upgrade from one version of Windows to another. And that’s a ridiculous comparison, for that very reason: Windows is Windows. There are changes, but not as much of a shift as switching from Win to Linux like she says.

And sure, you should learn a few things, but with all the benefits an upgrade entails, you shouldn’t HAVE to spend hours making sure that your stuff works.

Stalk me. You love it. Stalk some more.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Raena on 2002-04-19 05:37 ]</font>

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

Posted: 19 April 2002 03:18 AM #10

I have always felt that Windows gets in my way.  In particular, Windows is always asking me if I really want to do the thing I just did.  I find that annoying as all get out.

I haven’t played with Windows XP, so it may be different, but I doubt it. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 20 April 2002 12:42 PM #11

Upgrading to OS X the first time wasn’t nothing like what Dvorak and his readers went/go through.

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 20 April 2002 08:36 PM #12

On 2002-04-18 16:07, Anonymous wrote:
    When I got my 266 MHz Grape iMac, I got a CD of Adobe Pagemill. I never used it, but wouldn’t that count as a low-end web design program for the Mac?

Does Apple still include Pagemill with new iMacs and iBooks?

PageMill was discontinued at the same time the 266Mhz iMacs were. It hasn’t been sold or available since.

• Posted: 21 April 2002 06:25 AM #13

On 2002-04-20 23:36, oldmrmac wrote:
    PageMill was discontinued at the same time the 266Mhz iMacs were. It hasn’t been sold or available since.

I think you’ll find it was a bit later; I got a copy with my 400, and they came with the graphite 450’s as well.

But I nitpick. And I still dispute the ‘need’ for a webpage creator on new Macs anyway.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 21 April 2002 07:08 AM #14

They don’t come with new PCs, so WTF?

• Posted: 21 April 2002 09:58 AM #15

A person came into the store yesterday. He always reads Coursey’s work and has followed him for a while. The guy has never owned a Mac, but because Coursey said he loved it this guy walked out with a new iMac, iPod, and Microsoft Office. Way to go Coursey!