MWSF Reactions

• Posted: 09 January 2007 10:52 AM

Apple TV - very nice, I think the price point is okay, and I may consider purchasing one of these within the next year or so.  With our new HDTV, we only get a limited number of HD Channels, and I would love to watch the stuff I have on my computer more comfortably on our 40” LCD screen.

iPhone - holy crap.  this thing looks awesome.  However, it is a bit on the pricey side, and I wonder if enough people will shell that out for a phone with a ton of functionality for personal use.  I have a hard time thinking that big companies will switch their employees over to this over the blackberry or whatever, but we’ll see.  I just don’t know that the consumer will pay for all of it.  However, I think that if you think of the pricing not as for a phone with extra features, but as an awesome tiny computer +iPod, it becomes more reasonable.  I just can’t wait to see video of the finger gesturing, or better yet, to play with one in a store.

• Posted: 09 January 2007 11:00 AM #1

New Airport Extreme… when did this happen?

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

Looks cool…

Posted: 09 January 2007 11:09 AM #2

IMO the most telling part was when SJ mentioned that Apple had dropped Computer from the name. The Keynote was all about non “PC” things. The AppleTV, the Phone, all great products but not traditional stuff you’d expect from a computer company. More interesting was what was not mentioned. No iLife update, no speed bumps to existing products, no Pizza Box desktop, no new displays, no 12” MacBook Thin, not even a mention of 10.5. I still expect some of these to come over the next few weeks but it seems that SJ wanted to really focus attention on how Apple is a company with a broad product line, more than just personal computers.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 09 January 2007 11:52 AM #3

And no Leopard like I was hoping to get. Oh well.

iPhone is drool worthy. Apple TV? Eh. I don’t watch much TV so it doesn’t really matter that much to me.

Signature

Posted: 09 January 2007 12:47 PM #4

Ok, the iPhone is incredible, but I can’t get it until it arrives in Canada, and even then, it depends on whether the phone is available on a carrier in my area. Since my current provider is CDMA, I’ll have to wait until next february until I can get out of my contract.

Since I can now upgrade away from this glob-of-excrement-Audiovox, I’ll be buying a CDMA Moto RAZR at the end of the month instead.

AppleTV is interesting but until I can buy tv shows in the Canadian store, it’s not much better than an Airport Express. If it had TiVO abilities, I would have bought one.

So, yeah. Cool, but my pocketbook is safe.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

• Posted: 09 January 2007 12:51 PM #5

oh yea, i totally forgot about the tivo angle.  how do hdmi cable works, can info run both ways?  In other words, could someone hack the appleTV or install software that would allow you to pull the audio/video off the tv?

• Posted: 09 January 2007 01:17 PM #6

Interesting Expo… perhaps suggesting other big things? They probably kept it simple e.g. iPhone and the TV thing to emphasize the whole “We are not just a computer company any more” angle. What was also interesting was apart from no new Macs there was no Leopard or iLife/iWork. This suggests a number of things things.

1. A lot of focus on the iPhone. There is a lot happening there. And, the fact that it sport a version of OS X. It makes the audience out there study this new thing carefully instead of being distracted by say other Apple announcements. Apple wants to give the phone its hour of glory.

2. There will probably a special event just for Leopard (iLife and iWork as well maybe). Remember Apple have to pitch against Vista and again focus on this specific OS announcement is important. Wether this means extra secret stuff as well, I don’t know?

3. New Macs, displays and iSight? Apple seem to have started this new trend in the last year or two whereby they drip feed new products or speed bumps outside of the main events. This keeps the Apple brand fresh in the mind of the consumer. They tend to do this with a one, two, three effect, one after the other and then go quiet again for a few months, building up anticipation for the next best thing.  This is a good thing and remember it means that they don’t have to rush anything to market if it isn’t quite ready. Like say OS X. Maybe that secret feature is not quite ready yet, needs a bit more tweaking, and we will see it in three weeks time. See unlike MS, Apple doesn’t pre announce pipe dreams and then fail to deliver. They like to surprise.

4. One thing that might be on the way from all the touchy feely new tech in the iPhone is the possibility of new screens, both stand alone and in the iMac etc., are touch screen features. The iPhone says that this is the next best thing since the mouse. Though for the life of me ( and others have questioned its use) I don’t know what we may do with touch screens?

Signature

Dogma is Mans best friend

Posted: 09 January 2007 01:21 PM #7

an interesting roundup at
    http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/01/keynotereax/index.php

I’m just hoping that each morning Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday there will be an announcement of something new. “Oh, by the way, here is iLife ‘07” etc. “If anyone is interested Leopard will be available on Friday”, “Are those new monitors in the Apple booth? Oh, yeah we should’a mentioned that”.

Signature

Posted: 09 January 2007 01:47 PM #8

[quote author=“iGrouch”]4. One thing that might be on the way from all the touchy feely new tech in the iPhone is the possibility of new screens, both stand alone and in the iMac etc., are touch screen features. The iPhone says that this is the next best thing since the mouse. Though for the life of me ( and others have questioned its use) I don’t know what we may do with touch screens?

Check this out

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

• Posted: 09 January 2007 02:09 PM #9

[quote author=“KitsuneStudios”]Since I can now upgrade away from this glob-of-excrement-Audiovox, I’ll be buying a CDMA Moto RAZR at the end of the month instead.

I’ve had two Motos in a row. Never again. Moto can’t design a decent UI to save their lives.

I had to get a new phone a couple of weeks ago, after The Boy borrowed (and dropped) my V220 one time too many (he’s hard on smellphones; his RAZR broke too). I ended up getting a Samsung (Sync) primarily because the price was right, although it has an MP3 player and other goodies too. It’s a pretty decent phone, and amazingly not-crippled, but I’d dump it for an iPhone if they were available now & weren’t quite so pricey.

I wonder how soon Apple will make the iPhone SDK available, or if it’s just a matter of “make a Dashboard widget.” Running on OSX opens up a lot of possibilities. For example, I’d love to see a “GarageBand micro” (GBµ) app so you could record and edit down a podcast or audio report… pretty much anywhere.

Signature

Posted: 09 January 2007 02:42 PM #10

I think I caught a glimpse of the future here.

If indeed these things run a version of MacOS, I predict that by WWDC, we’ll see iPhone development kits for Xcode. Development for the iPhone will mean that these can compete with not only the Celphone market, but also PDAs and portable gaming systems.

The market for such development will not be limited to the iPhone. I expect to see the next generation of iPod using the same MacOS multi-touch interface; the internet features like mail and web browsing will either be removed, or available through WiFi like the Zune, rather than through a cellular connection.

Make sense?

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 09 January 2007 03:45 PM #11

[quote author=“yoyo52”][quote author=“iGrouch”]...I don’t know what we may do with touch screens?

Check this out

OK that’s one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen.

Signature

Posted: 09 January 2007 04:50 PM #12

Wow! :bugeyed:

The iPhone is really spectacular.

Three Mac rumors in one: iPhone, widescreen iPod, and tablet.
    I think we all know what the next-gen iPods will look like, and it would be great if Garmin-type GPS capabilities were added to a future version of the iPhone.

It’s clear that Mr. Jobs was really looking forward to this announcement. He has every right to be proud of this achievement.

I had been considering a Blackberry because I spend a lot of time on the road, but my plans seem to have just changed.

Great thing is I’m a Cingular customer, and my contract runs out just a few months after the iPhone will become available. That will allow enough time to see if there are any major rev A-type issues.

The new Airport Extreme looks great, and the three ethernet ports are a nice touch.

AppleTV has a great price point, but video products have never appealed to me. It will be interesting to see how the device fares.

Now, Apple, Inc., lets bring on some new Macs!  :eg:

• Posted: 09 January 2007 09:55 PM #13

That touch screen demo. I had forgotten about that, seen it before. Thanks for reminding.

Signature

Dogma is Mans best friend

Posted: 09 January 2007 10:34 PM #14

I haven’t watched the keynote yet, but here’s my semi-provisional, random 2 cents after looking at all the live coverage stuff, the super-slick iPhone demo at apple.com, etc.

AppleTV:  IMHO, this is a potentially cool, but “optional” product.  Super media hub for QuickTime/iTunes/MPEG-4/H.264/AAC/whatever content, but it’s no TiVo.  If it were a combo media receiver/DVR that beams TV back to your Mac, it’d be killer, but I admit that’s the stuff of pipe dreams, what with #%^$@ing digital cable encryption, bandwidth/networking/tech issues, and all that.  I don’t see iPod-like appeal, but hey, what do I know.

iPhone:  Wow.  Quite a device.  It really does take smartphone design to a whole new level.  The UI definitely sets a new benchmark for intuitiveness and ease-of-use in the high-end space.  Sure there’s possible negatives, concerns and compromises which most of us Apple watchers are already aware of, and which various bloggers/commentators/journalists/reviewers/pundits/Apple haters (check any and all that apply) will repeatedly make known (harp on, whatever) before, during and after the iPhone’s launch.  But I don’t think anyone doubts that this will be a big hit for Apple.  Especially since Apple has at least a couple of months prior to production to make some improvements or toss in a couple more pleasant surprises.  Might be pricey, but if it’s best of breed, especially by a good margin, Apple might have another non-phone-iPod-sized success on its hands.

The lack of Macs in Macworld:  Yup, I was surprised too.  I didn’t think Steve Jobs would have such an exhaustive demo of the iPhone, but I guess if he was that excited about it, and the market opportunity was that huge, maybe there’s no need for One More Thing(tm).  I must shamefully admit that as a long-time Apple watcher who has a penchant to get all knee-jerky and make screwball predictions, I wondered if Steve was taking a step or two away from the Mac.  I mean, it’s just a keynote, not some Apple Strategic Product Planning Conference(tm).  But at the same time, the Mac was pretty much ignored (very unlike last year), there’s no word on Leopard, and the corporate name shortening might have more than a tint of hubris to it.  Oh well.  No one ever said the Apple experience was dull.  Since Apple would have to be crazy to ditch its core, profitable computer business (even though it may well be more like an Apple division now),  I’ll give it another year at least before I get worried about the Mac’s future.

General comment re: certain instapundits:  You can analyze, criticize and marginalize the iPhone all you want, even though you won’t know all it can do until you can get your mitts on a real live one.  Just don’t overlook certain points Steve Jobs made at this keynote.  He’d like a “modest” 1% of the mobile phone market by the end of 2008.  10 million iPhones selling for $499 minimum makes for almost $5 billion in added revenue in a single year.  You can lower the sales target and even the price by 50% apiece and still wind up with some fairly ridiculous numbers.  Long story short, if Apple gets halfway close to its sales target (heck, maybe even quarter-way), it can justifiably ignore your blather and laugh all the way to the bank.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 10 January 2007 08:38 AM #15

No wires. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.

:groucho:

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde