Antagonistic sales staff

Posted: 27 January 2007 10:01 AM

Today is my brother-out-law’s birthday, and tomorrow he goes back to England-land. Yesterday we went out looking for a 80g iPod for him. Because there are quite a few similar shops in one area, we went to the oddly named Mega Centre (it’s not that big, and it’s off to one side) in Porirua, north of Wellington.

First up, Harvey Norman’s. “Sorry, out of stock. Should be back in in a fortnight.”

Second, Bond and Bond. “It’s been discontinued.” When I took him to task for that, he said, “Oh, we put in a back order months ago and Apple haven’t bothered filling our orders.” When we asked how long we thought it would take, he said, pricelessly (especially because I won’t be shopping there again), “If I were you I wouldn’t buy it. Because I don’t want you coming in every week because it’s broken.”

My wife is much more forgiving than me; I turned on my heel and walked out.

The other three places we went to, including Dick(head) Smith, all said that the reason there were no 80g iPods was Christmas: they’d been walking out the door, and Apple hadn’t been able to keep up. Annette asked them about the reliability and they all chorused, “Oh sure, the odd one needs repair or replacement, but we sell more of them so we notice it more.” One of them said that he couldn’t remember an 80g giving any problems at all.

I think I’ll write a letter to Apple…

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 27 January 2007 11:56 AM #1

This reminds me of a friend who was desperately searching for a white MacBook. Everywhere she went, she was told that there were only black MacBooks available, as the white ones had sold out because of their lower price.