Books on OS X

• Posted: 07 August 2001 08:32 PM

I’m interested in getting some books on Mac OS X. Not something like OS X for Dummies, but a book that goes deeper. I got some books on Unix, from O’Reilly, which are good, but I was also interested in the specific mac things. Since I’m about to get a router and will probably use the G3 as server, I was interested in a book that covers that topic. Please keep in mind, I don’t own the Server version of OS X, but since both cores are equal you can do the same things on both versions. The regular version just needs some additional Unix programs, and I’d like a book with an intro into that. My programming skills are almost none, but I can learn fast so as book with decent examples won’t be a problem. Language isn’t a problem either, but I’ve read a few reviews on OS X books and not all of them were positive. So I’m looking for a book which someone here has experience with.

Thanks in Advance

[ Edited: 28 July 2014 03:29 PM by Intruder ]

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

Posted: 21 July 2001 07:46 PM #1

I agree - most of the ones I looked at a few weeks ago were pretty basic - I already know how to set preferences and use GUIs, so they weren’t that helpful.

However just this week I splashed out $NZ95 ($US40?) on “MAC OS X - The Complete Reference” by Jesse Feiler. This was what I was after - it has a Unix primer (which I don’t *really* need), an introduction to developing new code, security, networking (still can’t hook up to my wife’s WinME machine, yet…) and I’m very happy with it. I’ve gone “Aha” quite a few times so far.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 23 July 2001 11:08 AM #2

Hoytt (and others) -

You may already have this, and you may never need it, but I *HIGHLY* reccommend O’Reilley’s Unix in a Nutshell book. You can ignore a lot of the things in there (like the sections on macros or awk scripting) for everyday use. However, the list of standard UNIX commands (chmod, ls, passwd, and so on) and their explanations in invaluable. I think it’s only $10(US), so it’s pretty cheap as well.

And there is “man” as well.

• Posted: 24 July 2001 05:53 PM #3

some in-depth books for OS X that I recommend:

Learning Cocoa by O’Reilly/ADC
    Learning Carbon by O’Reilly/ADC

both of these are good for more than just learning how to program. they have chapters solely explaining the technologies in the system and both make a solid attempt at speaking to non-programmers and brand new programmers.

Inside Mac OS X - System Overview ADC/Apple Developer Library - available from Fatbrain.com.

the language in this book gets pretty technical - but it’s just that: a technical reference compiled by Apple on OS X. nothing to read through, but handy if you’re curious, programming, etc.

Peachpit has a some good “Visual Quickstart” books coming for Mac OS X and they’ve got a few for Unix, Linux and technologies like Perl as well. I find these to be the best lighweight but indepth references. Nice books… I’ve always gotten more out of them than the $40/$50 Sams and Que Press mammoth books.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mjb on 2001-07-24 20:55 ]</font>

• Posted: 24 July 2001 06:35 PM #4

As we “speak,” I’m writing an omnibus review of sorts. I’m reviewing three OS X books:

—Mastering OS X by Todd Stauffer;
    —Mac OS X: the Complete Reference, by Jesse Feiler; and
    —The OS X Little Black Book, by Gene Steinberg.

I recommend the first two. The third book, don’t even touch unless you’ve are an idiot (no offense) and have never touched a Mac (or OS X, for that matter) before, and you are afraid of computers. I group it with OS X for Dummies.

Let me put it this way: I normally get free copies of Mac-related books from publishers. These first two were good enough for me to buy them (nevermind that I’m writing off all of thison my taxes )

Hope that helps.

Rodney O. Lain
    Mac Observer Columnist, iBrotha’s page at TMO

iBrotha.com, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iBrotha on 2001-07-24 21:35 ]</font>

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 24 July 2001 10:10 PM #5

iBrotha, do any of those books have good information about NetInfo?  I discovered neat things in NetInfo tonight and I think it might be the neatest unknown thing about OS X. 

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 06 August 2001 10:09 AM #6

I have bought most of the books out there about X and hafta say that so far the three best have been:

Mac OSX Complete Reference, (O’Reilly)
    Mac OSX Web Server Handbook (Hart)
    also a PDF book I found on Apples ADC Site regarding pogamming interfaces.

Hope this helps

• Posted: 07 August 2001 07:29 PM #7

Bryan, I really have to finish that book review…

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 07 August 2001 08:32 PM #8

I just bought “Essential System Administration - Help for UNIX System Administrators” from O’Reilly. Until a more specific book covering the Darwin side of X comes along, this looks to be the most detailed guide to the BSD (derived) underpinnings and what to do with them.

Face it, we’re ALL UNIX system admins now. (all of us using X, that is)

-Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.