WoW combat latency issues?

Posted: 21 March 2007 11:23 AM

I just posted this on the Warcraft boards, but since people here play too;

Has anyone noticed strange latency issues during combat since the World of Warcraft Expansion?

The game’s become unplayable lately, and even a nuke an pave of the OS and game and a move across town hasn’t fixed the issue. (Both were unrelated to troubleshooting this a particular issue wink )

The game will sometimes seem to freeze up in combat: I can still move the camera and character, but combat will appear to halt and running characters just jog off into the distance. If I’m casting a spell, I’ll continue the casting animation until long after the spell was supposed to have gone off, and attempting to cast another spell brings up a “Another action is already in progress” warning. After a few long seconds, everything that has happened in the meanwhile happens at once, and then the game resumes. Makes me useless in parties and is almost guaranteed to kill my high-level character when grinding.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 21 March 2007 06:31 PM #1

Uninstall your addons, and try moving your wtf folder out of your wow directory.

Signature

- Gavin (DrShakagee)

Posted: 25 March 2007 03:08 PM #2

Got it fixed. Looks like my router was in the process of dying.

That’s the second dlink router to die on me within 2 years. Got a Belkin one this time. (It’s about 1/4 the cost of Apple’s hub)

Signature

-Jon Roth

Posted: 25 March 2007 03:34 PM #3

Heh. When I quickly scanned the threads, I saw “wombat latency issues.” Nothing worse than a latent wombat! Guess I need more sleep after long travels.

I had a D-link die after about 4 months of minimal use. May be some quality issues there.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 16 May 2007 09:39 AM #4

[quote author=“KitsuneStudios”]Got it fixed. Looks like my router was in the process of dying.

That’s the second dlink router to die on me within 2 years. Got a Belkin one this time. (It’s about 1/4 the cost of Apple’s hub)

What model did you buy? Are you happy with it?

Posted: 22 May 2007 11:48 AM #5

Sorry it took so long to reply iggyb, I was having a lot of trouble logging in.

I can’t remember the exact model number, but I’ll let you know when I get home.

Honestly, I’m mixed on the Belkin. The web-based interface is very buggy, regardless of the browser or OS I use to access it. Also, upgrading the firmware wasa royal pain. When you look for an update using the control panel, it tells you that yes there is an update, despite the fact that it’s a much older version number than the default.

Also, I got an abuse warning from my ISP because the router kept requesting info continuously, against the TOS. Gratefully, they provided a direct link to the firmware for my exact model that fixed the problem, because it was a huge pain trying to find the firmware on Belkin’s site.

That said, it’s cheap, and if I’m not trying to fiddle with the settings, it does exactly what I need it to do without worry. I’ll keep it, but I can’t recommend it. Go for a NetGear model instead. I had no problems at all with the one I owned in the states; I just had to leave it with the roomies when I left.

Signature

-Jon Roth

• Posted: 22 May 2007 01:39 PM #6

Re: WoW combat latency issues?

[quote author=“KitsuneStudios”]The game’s become unplayable lately, and even a nuke an pave of the OS and game and a move across town hasn’t fixed the issue. (Both were unrelated to troubleshooting this a particular issue wink )

Admit it, you reinstalled your OS and software and moved just to make WoW run better. Freak.
    wink

Posted: 22 May 2007 02:08 PM #7

There’s been a serious upgrade (patch 279Mb) that’s just come down - I have been having odd problems with combat, similar to yours, so I’ll see how it pans out over the next few days. But then I don’t seem to have had any problems with my internet connection.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming