M$, NBC, Fox, et al Compete With Google

Posted: 22 March 2007 08:31 AM

11:20 MSFT Microsoft said it will join forces with a newly formed Newscorp and NBC Universal joint venture to distribute a vast library of online video content (28.21 -0.31)

MSFT says it would join forces with a newly formed Fox/Newscorp and NBC/Universal joint venture to distribute a vast library of online video content to MSN consumers. “Joining forces with Fox/Newscorp and NBC/Universal is completely in line with our strategy to offer our users easy access to the best video on the web in a way that is good for content owners, great for consumers, and provides compelling opportunities to advertisers. Building on the work we have done with MSN Video and SoapBox, we are taking another step toward realizing that vision.”

Oh great… more Windows Media hell….

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 22 March 2007 08:31 AM #1

TECHNOLOGY ALERT
    from The Wall Street Journal.
    March 22, 2007

NBC Universal and News Corp. announced plans to create an online-video site that would compete with Google’s YouTube. The free site will feature full episodes and clips of hit shows, including “The Simpsons,” “Heroes,” “24” and “30 Rock,” as well as films like “Borat” and “Bourne Supremacy.” The media titans have signed up AOL, Microsoft’s MSN, MySpace and Yahoo as distribution partners, and said Intel and General Motors will be among the initial advertisers on the site.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 22 March 2007 08:32 AM #2

so.. more ad-driven free content.. likely not Windows Media driven but flash-based IMO, so technically not downloadable, and not transferable to iTunes and thus the aTV without a cumbersome process to download the flash video and convert it.

Signature

• Posted: 22 March 2007 08:55 PM #3

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”]so.. more ad-driven free content.. likely not Windows Media driven but flash-based IMO, so technically not downloadable, and not transferable to iTunes and thus the aTV without a cumbersome process to download the flash video and convert it.

I’m not worried about this one. Obviously unless some type of effort is made GOOG walks away with the store. I’m not interested in ad-driven content.

• Posted: 23 March 2007 02:30 AM #4

I would think the networks big fear is the producers of their hit shows decide they could make more money bypassing traditional release and go straight to iTunes and not have their work savaged by constant interruptions with commercials. No wonder HBO wins all the awards. 60 minute dramas that totall immerse the viewer; not unlike a movie.

I am surprised the Netowrks and Apple have not gotten together to offer their programs to the public with commercials for free, alongside ad free
    offerings at $1.99.  Apple providing the bandwidth and organization for a split in the commercial revenue.

:oh:

• Posted: 23 March 2007 03:59 AM #5

Uh, I’m just wrapping my head around this one.  But here’s an interesting point.

If you liken this to music, record companies have typically wanted their music to be played on EVERY radio station possible and sold in EVERY store possible.  In a perfect world, (for everyone), music would see maximum exposure.

Now, in this case, these TV networks are putting shows up ON A SITE OF THEIR OWN, to “compete” with Google/Apple and I don’t think the public will take to that.  The public wants to go to destinations that have ALL the content they want, no?

Getting back to music, this would be akin to the consumer needing to go to the Capitol Records site to hear/purchase music of The Beatles, then over to the Interscope site to hear/purchase music of Eminem, etc.  I don’t think the consumer wants this…they want to go to ONE source (iTMS, Virgin MegaStore, etc) and consume ALL of their music needs.

Not to mention, as someone pointed out above, ad-driven content is what the public is trying to get away from.  I mean, how many of us out there have gotten so “spoiled” by DVR’s that we no longer put up with sitting through 18-22 minutes of TV commercials per hour?  At my house, we NEVER watch TV “live”, because we’d rather do something else with our time for 22 minutes, THEN watch the show, blasting through commercials with the “30-second advance” button.

Anyway, I don’t see the public taking to this new approach of these megacorps.

Signature

Johnny

• Posted: 23 March 2007 04:31 AM #6

[quote author=“johnnyvn”]

Not to mention, as someone pointed out above, ad-driven content is what the public is trying to get away from.  I mean, how many of us out there have gotten so “spoiled” by DVR’s that we no longer put up with sitting through 18-22 minutes of TV commercials per hour?  At my house, we NEVER watch TV “live”, because we’d rather do something else with our time for 22 minutes, THEN watch the show, blasting through commercials with the “30-second advance” button.

Anyway, I don’t see the public taking to this new approach of these megacorps.

I mentioned some months ago it also boiled down to some simple math. The average American TV series show is 44 minutes. Apple charges $2.00 per episode. you can watch 4 shows in 3 hours for $8.00 or watch 4 shows in 4 hours for free with commercials. The question you have to ask yourself; ‘’ Is my time worth more than $ 8.00 an hour?’’

The other overlooked aspect to comercial driven productions is the quality of the show itself. When the producers and writers put together a drama they have a huge handicap. They have to put in 4 or 5 mini scripts ending with small climaxes before the breaks. This is virtually impossible to do and totally envelope the viewer. This is why movies and HBO (commercial free) productions are so good by comparison.

Live sports in America have some of the same problems. Hockey and Football are almost unwatchable. Athletes get going and have to stop constantly to stand around waiting for the commercials to the TV audience to end. Baseball is ok because of its natural breaks and Golf is OK especially the ‘‘Masters’’ because the Augusta club control the event not the TV network suits. No wonder Soccer is so popular around the world… The game comes first, sponsors second.

Sorry to get off topic kinda but a really big peeve of mine. I almost hope Apple, if they get enough resistance from the networks, Hollywood etc., will pull an HBO and invite producers to go directly to iTunes with their products.

• Posted: 24 March 2007 09:15 AM #7

[quote author=“SNIPUS”]Sorry to get off topic kinda but a really big peeve of mine. I almost hope Apple, if they get enough resistance from the networks, Hollywood etc., will pull an HBO and invite producers to go directly to iTunes with their products.

Interesting…there is the possibility of straight to iTunes programming of commercial quality content. This could be one of Google’s big aims - a de facto broadcast network of unique content over broadband, bypassing traditional distribution.

• Posted: 25 March 2007 07:20 AM #8

[quote author=“DawnTreader”][quote author=“SNIPUS”]Sorry to get off topic kinda but a really big peeve of mine. I almost hope Apple, if they get enough resistance from the networks, Hollywood etc., will pull an HBO and invite producers to go directly to iTunes with their products.

Interesting…there is the possibility of straight to iTunes programming of commercial quality content. This could be one of Google’s big aims - a de facto broadcast network of unique content over broadband, bypassing traditional distribution.

Uh, yeah…they could call it the YouTube Network.

Signature

Johnny

• Posted: 25 March 2007 10:39 AM #9

[quote author=“johnnyvn”]Uh, yeah…they could call it the YouTube Network.

Absent, of course, the amateur flicks posted by self-absorbed people with far too much time on their hands to keep maladjusted teenagers consumed for hours. wink

• Posted: 25 March 2007 10:47 AM #10

[quote author=“johnnyvn”]

Uh, yeah…they could call it the YouTube Network.

hm, YouTube is too easily associated with teenagers lighting their farts :D

maybe Google Network (plainly and simply) smile
    it would raise brand awareness and appeal to everyone who knows the search engine