Apple TV Experiences (Includes Set-Up Help)

• Posted: 03 April 2007 01:45 AM #46

[quote author=“Derrick”]Elgato is introducing a USB based H.264 encoder:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/04/02/elgato-announces-turbo-264-usb-stick-h-264-encoder/

Could have great implications for ATV.

I’ve seen that too but I’d much prefer a pci card…

Posted: 03 April 2007 02:14 PM #47

I just received my aTV. I configured it and it automatically synchronised with my iTunes library and photos. The experience was comparable as most described here. However, after one hour playing with it, it became VERY hot. The temperature did not go significantly lower after another hour letting it sleep. I don’t like it. I am fearfull of leaving such a hot device switched on at home while I am off. I find it disturbing. Can it be considered a normal behaviour?

• Posted: 03 April 2007 02:29 PM #48

An additional comment on the quality of iTunes downloads for TV shows:

Last night, I watched the “9:00 - 10:00” episode of “24” on FOX, in HD, but I forgot to save it on my DVR and my son wanted to see it today.

So, I paid the $1.99 to download from iTunes. The file was between 400Mb and 500Mb; didn’t take too long to download (I get around 25Mbps downstream via cable) and then I just synced it over to AppleTV.

The viewing experience was nice and seamless on a 50” Panasonic plasma. Much better image quality than scaled-up SD would have been, plus it’s in widescreen format to begin with. Not as good as the direct HD feed on cable was last night, of course, but that’s expected. HD shows on cable are so beautifully sharp and detailed (HDMI connection from the box) that even after you’re used to it, you’re still blown away by the quality.

The iTunes near-DVD-quality version was more than good enough to watch. It was a little softer overall; and on higher contrast edges, you could pick up the stair stepping in places, but these are minor. The -viewing experience- itself on a plasma display of this size was quite acceptable, better than I would have thought. (I would still greatly prefer full HD in the future, but I can wait for it and feel pleased with the quality that we get with this today, given bandwidth constraints).

Posted: 03 April 2007 03:02 PM #49

Hi guys, aren’t your aTV as burning hot as mine?. I will ask for an immediate replacement if no one tells me that his/her aTV is literaly feeling like a wall radiator.

• Posted: 03 April 2007 03:15 PM #50

[quote author=“carbonat”]Hi guys, aren’t your aTV as burning hot as mine?. I will ask for an immediate replacement if no one tells me that his/her aTV is literaly feeling like a wall radiator.

Derrick had a tip earlier for this…. simply hold down the centre button for 5 seconds and it goes to sleep (and cools off)

Posted: 03 April 2007 03:15 PM #51

[quote author=“carbonat”]Hi guys, aren’t your aTV as burning hot as mine?. I will ask for an immediate replacement if no one tells me that his/her aTV is literaly feeling like a wall radiator.

Don’t worry.. apparently its normal smile

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 03 April 2007 03:28 PM #52

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“carbonat”]Hi guys, aren’t your aTV as burning hot as mine?. I will ask for an immediate replacement if no one tells me that his/her aTV is literaly feeling like a wall radiator.

It is now about 30 minutes in sleep mode (ok, with the front light switched off after having pressed pause button for 6 seconds) and it seems that the temperature is getting lower. Or is it that you told me that it is normal to get burned from it. Anyway, I’m going to bed and I will see if tomorrow morning it has cooled down to a more warm state.

Posted: 03 April 2007 04:43 PM #53

[quote author=“carbonat”][quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“carbonat”]Hi guys, aren’t your aTV as burning hot as mine?. I will ask for an immediate replacement if no one tells me that his/her aTV is literaly feeling like a wall radiator.

It is now about 30 minutes in sleep mode (ok, with the front light switched off after having pressed pause button for 6 seconds) and it seems that the temperature is getting lower. Or is it that you told me that it is normal to get burned from it. Anyway, I’m going to bed and I will see if tomorrow morning it has cooled down to a more warm state.

Many people say it runs quite hot, which seems to be normal for the device. Mine does too. Remember it has both the hard drive and the transformer in the box - its bound to get pretty hot. Remember hot how the underside of a MacBook Pro gets - and that doesn’t even have a transformer built into it smile

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 03 April 2007 05:05 PM #54

I believe the case is also the heat sink for the system. No fan (I think), so the heat has to go somewhere.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 04 April 2007 12:26 AM #55

[quote author=“Intruder”]I believe the case is also the heat sink for the system. No fan (I think), so the heat has to go somewhere.

ATV is the same as the mini, I think. The synthetic rubber covering of the base is designed to conduct heat away. Therefore I would expect AppleTV to stabilise at a certain additional temperature to the surface on which it stands. Stand it on another warm piece of equipment, and it will be double warm. (there is a fan inside, any air drawn in is also at a low level and will be heated by the surface below too)

Carbonat - try standing it on a cold surface if it’s currently on a warm one.

Posted: 04 April 2007 03:10 AM #56

[quote author=“sleepygeek”][quote author=“Intruder”]I believe the case is also the heat sink for the system. No fan (I think), so the heat has to go somewhere.

ATV is the same as the mini, I think. The synthetic rubber covering of the base is designed to conduct heat away. Therefore I would expect AppleTV to stabilise at a certain additional temperature to the surface on which it stands. Stand it on another warm piece of equipment, and it will be double warm. (there is a fan inside, any air drawn in is also at a low level and will be heated by the surface below too)

Carbonat - try standing it on a cold surface if it’s currently on a warm one.

Thanks for all that covering of the heat issue. I feel more comfortable with my aTV now. My aTV lies now on a wooden surface but apart from that it is separated enough from other devices or sources of heat. This morning it felt somewhat cooler than yesterday after having played heavily with it, but it is still significantly hotter than any other home device I have around. I asume that the source of the heat in the sleep state is the internal power supply, just as some wall plug supplies of phones or other small devices.

As a matter of comparison, the external power supply of my MacBook Pro is much cooler even when powering the computer at full cpu use for long time. The laptop itself only heats slightly in sleep mode, so I still believe that the heat issue is something that Apple has to improve for the aTV. No more worries though.

• Posted: 05 April 2007 05:03 PM #57

Xvid has been added as a Quicktime component ... does this mean full support in ATV?

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resources/components.html

Interesting ....

Posted: 06 April 2007 07:06 AM #58

[quote author=“Derrick”]Xvid has been added as a Quicktime component ... does this mean full support in ATV?

No smile .. at least, not yet. I think the next major update to the aTV will come once Leopard is released. See my post in the other Apple TV topic about that.

Signature