FUD Alert! "Leopard Delayed"

Posted: 23 March 2007 04:25 AM

Apple ‘Leopard’ release delayed until October?
    A report claims Leopard has been delayed
    Jonny Evans, MacWorld
    A report this morning claims Apple will be forced to delay the release of Mac OS X 10.5 ‘Leopard’ in order to deliver Vista compatibility in the OS’s Boot Camp software.

The report – originally on DigiTimes – cites “industry sources” who claim the release “will be postponed until October”. The delay is solely to ensure Boot Camp supports Windows Vista, the report explains.

Can I just say this is…. “TOTAL B-U-L-L-S-H-*-T.” Can you imagine Apple delaying Leopard to provide Vista compatibility? No way! No F-ing way!

It goes on to say: “The report reckons the delay is solely in order that Apple can boost market share by attracting Windows switchers.”

Can I repeat: “TOTAL B-U-L-L-S-H-*-T.”

If Leopard aims to attract switchers, it will attract switchers from XP, not Vista. Vista compatibility could be added anytime, and is relatively unimportant compared to XP. If Leopard is delayed, it certainly isn’t because of Boot Camp. And Apple just announced a full schedule of Leopard workshops for WWDC in June - is it really likely they’d do that if the product was being delayed until October?

I can’t believe the crap I read sometimes! Oh wait, AAPL is ramping, of course.. FUD-tastic! Leopard delayed due to Vista, Steve Jobs is going to Jail, Macs are ditching OS X and will runs Windows NT, Microsoft to buy Apple, sell hardware business to DELL, then drop Windows and peddle OS X. rolleyes

I CAN believe Leopard might suffer delays - having seen Vista totally panned, perhaps Jobs might want to improve the feature set or GUI/Finder - but I doubt very much it has anything whatsoever to do with Vista compatibility.

BEWARE though - this is likely to hit Briefing.com and the other ignorant newswires, and light a fire under the cows.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

• Posted: 23 March 2007 04:58 AM #1

Release of Leopard is not imminent. Apple has to take the covers off the secret bits, and then release a half dozen full developer seeds before then. CS3 launch probably needs Leopard. And CS3 shipping must need a near final Leopard. If it’s October, we’ll get a statement from Apple within a day or two; that would be in severe contradiction to the stated spring release.

I would suggest: early option: full spec revealed at or near CS3 launch + release by WWDC (June); late option: full spec revealed at WWDC + release August. Leopard won’t ship for 60 days or so after being fully revealed to developers. If t here is a significant delay, Apple will surely offer free upgrade to cover the delay.

Obviously it’s nothing to do with Vista compatibility. Someone planted that nonsense and the October date to scrape together a few extra Vista sales now.

• Posted: 23 March 2007 05:14 AM #2

The Leopard delay rumor apparently originates with the far east publication ‘Digitimes’ which normally reports on hardware specs from componnent suppliers in the region. What they would know about Apple executive decisions is nil imo. This is probably the most unbelievable,outrageous nonsense i have read in a long time. And the Apple FUD category has some formidable competition

Posted: 23 March 2007 05:20 AM #3

The rumour is spreading and being discussed by people who patently have no idea what they’re writing about.

http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/03/report_vista_de.html

I can’t believe this crap.. it makes no sense at all.. its not even a good rumour as its totally counter-intuitive to believe that Leopard would be delayed to provide Vista compatibility! This is blatant FUD and manipulative bullshit.

Note: just hit Briefing.com
    ————————————
    08:19 AAPL Apple reportedly to postpone Leopard to support Windows Vista - digitimes.com (93.96 ) -Update-

Digitimes reports that AAPL is expected to launch its next generation Leopard operating system in April, but according to industry sources, the release of the new OS will be postponed to Oct to allow AAPL to make Leopard support (MSFT) Windows Vista through an integrated version of its Boot Camp software. The sources pointed out that the launch delay is not due to software design problems with Leopard but instead is attributed to AAPL’s plan to have its new OS support Windows Vista through an integrated version of Boot Camp. If Leopard supports only Windows XP, then the chances of the new OS attracting Windows users to buy an AAPL computer decreases, stated industry observers, noting that with Vista support, AAPL’s chances of increasing its share of the PC market would increase.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

• Posted: 23 March 2007 05:49 AM #4

I’m wondering if this has been planted by MS management, who can’t believe the failure of their beautiful Vista is because no-one’s interested. They think it must be SJ’s RDF casting a spell over their loyal fans, and if they can only break the spell, a flood of Vista orders will arrive.

Posted: 23 March 2007 05:50 AM #5

[quote author=“sleepygeek”]I’m wondering if this has been planted by MS management, who can’t believe the failure of their beautiful Vista is because no-one’s interested. They think it must be SJ’s RDF casting a spell over their loyal fans, and if they can only break the spell, a flood of Vista orders will arrive.

Nah I reckon its just pure, outright FUD spread by lying hedgies.

Signature

• Posted: 23 March 2007 05:54 AM #6

I sold my April 90 calls and bought some May 95’s yesterday but If this tanks down I am loading up with some April 90’s this am… If the stock stays down on volume in the 91 area Apple Inc will respond imho

Posted: 23 March 2007 09:07 AM #7

[quote author=“SNIPUS”]I sold my April 90 calls and bought some May 95’s yesterday but If this tanks down I am loading up with some April 90’s this am… If the stock stays down on volume in the 91 area Apple Inc will respond imho

Options trading is an interesting game.  I did the opposite.  Buy-to-close Apr $90 calls and sell-to-open May $95 calls.  Normally, I would do this on OE week but on vacation during OE week - school holiday.

I need to pay 50 cents for the privilege of making an extra $5.00 from the difference in strike price.  Note that strike price of calls writing is trending up :apple:.  Jan $90, Feb $85, Mar $85, Apr $90, May $95.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 23 March 2007 11:10 AM #8

Re: FUD Alert! "Leopard Delayed"

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”]Can I just say this is…. “TOTAL B-U-L-L-S-H-*-T.” Can you imagine Apple delaying Leopard to provide Vista compatibility? No way! No F-ing way!

It goes on to say: “The report reckons the delay is solely in order that Apple can boost market share by attracting Windows switchers.”

Can I repeat: “TOTAL B-U-L-L-S-H-*-T.”

Yes. You can say all that. Especially since it’s as you describe. Can you imagine Apple delaying the release of Mac OS X, 10.5 over a Vista issue?

Must be a slow news day.  rolleyes

• Posted: 23 March 2007 12:53 PM #9

that’s so funny…when I heard it, my first thought was this originated at Steve Jobs’ desk, where he hoped it would dull anticipation, making it all the more noteworthy when he releases it “early”.

Signature

Johnny

Posted: 23 March 2007 01:04 PM #10

Apple contacted me today with the following:

Thank you for your email and voicemail.  As a matter of policy we don’t comment or rumor or speculation.  We previously announced that we plan to release Leopard in spring 2007.
    Regards,
    Apple Investor Relations
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
    http://www.apple.com/investor/

Signature

Posted: 23 March 2007 02:23 PM #11

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”]Apple contacted me today with the following:

Thank you for your email and voicemail.  As a matter of policy we don’t comment or rumor or speculation.  We previously announced that we plan to release Leopard in spring 2007.
    Regards,
    Apple Investor Relations
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
    http://www.apple.com/investor/

Don’t you think that they already knew you would be posting it in AFB, so it would be like a way for them to publicy comment on that rumor without having to break their policy?

Posted: 23 March 2007 03:06 PM #12

[quote author=“carbonat”][quote author=“Tommo_UK”]Apple contacted me today with the following:Thank you for your email and voicemail.  As a matter of policy we don’t comment or rumor or speculation.  We previously announced that we plan to release Leopard in spring 2007.

Don’t you think that they already knew you would be posting it in AFB, so it would be like a way for them to publicy comment on that rumor without having to break their policy?

I doubt they made any connection between me and AFB from my email and voicemail smile

Signature

Posted: 23 March 2007 03:16 PM #13

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“carbonat”][quote author=“Tommo_UK”]Apple contacted me today with the following:Thank you for your email and voicemail.  As a matter of policy we don’t comment or rumor or speculation.  We previously announced that we plan to release Leopard in spring 2007.

I doubt they made any connection between me and AFB from my email and voicemail smile

Who knows, but you asked to Apple Investor Relations, so it would not be that hard to assume that as an investor you would simply repost the answer to a major news feed (or forum) for your own interest.

• Posted: 23 March 2007 11:16 PM #14

A delay in the release of Leopard would skew anticipated results to such a degree the company would need to make a major public announcement under securities laws. It would be a material change in the company’s operating position.

There’s no delay and no announcement.

Posted: 24 March 2007 08:58 AM #15

Great article, as usual, on Roughy Drafted.  Let’s set the record straight!

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM.Tech.Q1.07/5209A3EE-03DE-42CA-8A27-55DBF41C6F5D.html

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.