New Avatars!

Posted: 03 May 2002 03:32 PM

We have uploaded some 390 avatars, and there are more on the way.  We have worked with some great designers to provide these icons to you, and they are organized by artist.  We will be adding some information about each designer to their gallery of images soon.

Note that some of the avatars still need to be cleaned up a bit, so if the one you want doesn’t look quite right, give us a few days to fix it.  If your avatar disappears after having chosen it, just realize we are still moving things around.  grin

Lastly, with the advent of the avatars, we are prohibiting images in sig lines.  That’s to try and keep the forums as clean as possible, and we appreciate your cooperation.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 04 May 2002 02:05 AM #1

:wink:  :wink:

Signature

-Louie

• Posted: 04 May 2002 11:32 AM #2

Louie, I’ve been meaning to ask you… What the heck is that a picture of? (my guess is a skiier standing in front of some blurry unknown object…)

-Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 04 May 2002 01:56 PM #3

Dan,

thats me, quite a few years ago skiing in my driveway.

I put me in a new layer and blurred the background in photoshop. Thats because with the small image size its hard to tell what’s me, and what’s my brother (the blurry object in the background) since it’s MY avatar, and not “his” or “our’s” he’s not important to the image…

Signature

-Louie

Posted: 04 May 2002 03:38 PM #4

But, what is the huge pinkish thing that makes you look like a pumpkinhead? Are you wrapped up in a scarf? It’s kind of hard to tell what’s going on there.

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 06 May 2002 11:21 AM #5

Re: New Avatars!

How would one go about creating these avatars for forum use?

Signature

I’m out of time, patience and my mind… but I have plenty of excuses.

Posted: 06 May 2002 02:25 PM #6

It’s easy, actually.  Either find an image (for which you have the right to use) or create an image yourself, that conforms to the guidelines I posted elsewhere , and send it/them to me.

Post questions in the Graphics Forum if you have more specific questions.

Good luck!

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 06 May 2002 02:28 PM #7

Ummm, ask a graphic artist?  *nudge - points at desk to your right*
    raspberry
    -Danstein

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 07 May 2002 09:02 AM #8

[quote author=“Photodan”]Ummm, ask a graphic artist?  *nudge - points at desk to your right*
    raspberry
    -Danstein

Thanks Bryan.  BTW, VERY very cool redesign.  And Dan… just because someone writes code all day doesn’t mean they can’t draw.  That’d be like assuming that a Photographer couldn’t do Tech support.  You’ll just have to wait and see.  smile

Signature

I’m out of time, patience and my mind… but I have plenty of excuses.

Posted: 07 May 2002 01:25 PM #9

... or that a graphic designer couldn’t code. :D

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 07 May 2002 10:36 PM #10

How about website editors? *coughs delicately*

Raena: So what do you want?
    Bryan: I don’t know!
    Raena: No, really.
    Bryan: I don’t know!
    Raena: How can you not know?
    Bryan: I know what I want, I just don’t know how to get there.
    Raena: *twitch*

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 08 May 2002 08:50 AM #11

Can I post my request for a personal Avatar here?

Hi guys,

Since I’m a bit of an old-school gamer, I’d REALLY like to have one of these as my Avatar. I know the sizes aren’t really right (they’re a bit too long), but I hope they’re acceptable.

and

I found a smaller version of the pics on another site…

and

If you think they look crappy, that’s OK.

In the meantime, I’ll have to get myself some image-editor of some king to make my own creation….

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

• Posted: 06 June 2002 09:01 AM #12

Bryan, this is my first avatar. The thingy on the left side is my hand holding something that’s illegal in your country. The second version is ‘clean’  :D

Of course I’m not as good looking as Photodan or Rob, but it provides a face with the nonsense I dare to post
    raspberry

Posted: 06 June 2002 05:47 PM #13

I uploaded the “clean” one for you, this being a family forum and all.  I also edited out the other one from your post, for the same reason.  grin

It is available for you in the “Members” gallery.  grin

Signature

• Posted: 06 June 2002 06:18 PM #14

[quote author=“Bryan”]I uploaded the “clean” one for you, this being a family forum and all. 

Ah, but which family? I’ve always considered using Steve Earl’s “Copperhead Road” as the background music for iPhoto when showing a slideshow of my ancestors ...

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 06 June 2002 06:58 PM #15

[quote author=“Bryan”]I uploaded the “clean” one for you, this being a family forum and all.  I also edited out the other one from your post, for the same reason.  grin

Ooh, ooh! I know! It was a ferret, right? It had to have been a ferret.

Or maybe a shoulder-mounted Stinger surface-to-air missile launcher. That’s a possibility.

On second thought, I think I’m leaning more towards it being a ferret launcher.

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!