Member Submitted Avatars

Posted: 04 May 2002 09:31 AM

8/19/08 UPDATE : You may now upload avatars on the Edit Profile page.

Hello everyone,

You may have noticed the new features in the forums, but just in case you are new or didn’t notice, one of those new features is avatars.  We have some 390 avatars currently uploaded, and these have been provided by some fantastic Mac artists.  You’ll find the avatars organized by the artists’ names.  Note that there may be some changes in the current avatars over the next few days.

We will also be accepting submissions from anyone that wants their own avatar.  If you want to submit a whole series, we will add them in a directory with your name like our current ones.  For those wanting to submit a single avatar, we will have a “Members” directory for all submitted avatars.

Guidelines:

Avatars need to measure 70 x 70.  Transparencies should look good against light blue, gray, light green, or the colors you see in this forum.  That means that any avatars with drop shadows need to be on a white background, or the drop shadow HAS to be a single color.  If you don’t understand what this means, post a note in the Digital Imaging, Graphics, & iPhoto Help forum.  grin

We will summarily reject tacky, ugly, bad, or inappropriate avatars.  Seriously.  The submission process is entirely at our discretion, and we will maintain the integrity of our forums.  grin

No animations whatsoever are allowed. There are some vey good, and very cool animations out there, but they can quickly overwhelm a forum.

File size must be under 4k, though in some circumstances we may accept image files up to 4.5k. 1-3k is preferable.  This is to keep load times in the forums as quick as possible.

Because we have avatars now, note that we are not allowing image files in your sig lines.  This too is to keep the forums uncluttered, and to keep load times as fast as possible.

Thanks, and enjoy!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 05 May 2002 07:05 AM #1

Great…who do we send them to? smile

Great…who do we send them to? smile

Any particular e-mail address/subject?

Thanks,

BlueDjinn

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 05 May 2002 10:05 AM #2

Sweet…

I need to get started on the iBrotha Collection. David Pogue , eat yer heart out.

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 05 May 2002 11:02 AM #3

YEEE-HAH!!

Got me my very own Blue Djinn for my BlueDjinn-self! smile

~~Thy Wish Is My Command~~

—BlueDjinn

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

Posted: 05 May 2002 02:33 PM #4

Well, I’ve selected my avatar: I’ve had to plump for this one, though I really wanted a red dragon (hint, hint).
    :oops:

Posted: 06 May 2002 06:38 AM #5

[quote author=“davidneale”]...though I really wanted a red dragon (hint, hint). :oops:

You know, if you want a red dragon, all you have to do is make it.  :grin:  Submit your avatar (fitting the above guidelines, or it’ll be ignored) in this thread as an image, and we’ll get it up in the member’s gallery for you to choose.

I, for one, have retired from the avatar-creating business.  rolleyes

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 06 May 2002 06:59 AM #6

[quote author=“jinkies”]You know, if you want a red dragon, all you have to do is make it.  :grin:

Clearly you’ve not seen my designing capabilities raspberry

My red dragon (for Wales) would probably come out like a rose (for another country…) and I wouldn’t want that!  smile

Posted: 06 May 2002 07:36 AM #7

Awww, David, you don’t have to make it yourself.  :D I mean, I so didn’t draw mine.  See if a friend wants to make something for you to scan, or if you can find some non-copyrighted image that you can shrink, etc.

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

• Posted: 06 May 2002 10:16 AM #8

wow, talk about changes.  i haven’t been able to get here for the past week or so, and everything up and changes!  looks pretty good, but shocking if you weren’t expecting it smile  i do like the “auto-smilies” a lot.

so for the avatar, is that a 70 pixel x 70 pixel?  just wanting to be sure before i try to start designing something.  i’ve actually designed a couple of icons for some friends of mine.  nothing fancy.

Signature

Mac OSX. I’ve upped my standards. Up yours.

“Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won’t be certain? We’ll look around and say ‘Pardon me, did you hear something?’?”

Posted: 06 May 2002 02:03 PM #9

Hey iShadow:  That is indeed 70 pixels by 70 pixels.  grin

I look forward to seeing it!

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 06 May 2002 02:25 PM #10

[quote author=“jinkies”]Awww, David, you don’t have to make it yourself.  :D I mean, I so didn’t draw mine.  See if a friend wants to make something for you to scan, or if you can find some non-copyrighted image that you can shrink, etc.

Well, I’ve done my best—what do you think?

(And I’ve even submitted a second, more traditional Red Dragon, so I’ll be able to change now and then!)

• Posted: 07 May 2002 10:38 AM #11

thanks for the answer, bryan.

and david, it looks really nice.  but then, i am partial to dragons,and was planning on doing something probably purplish for a dragon.  oh, and i have a red welsh dragon keychain given by a friend who visited there.  that would be a cool design.

Signature

Mac OSX. I’ve upped my standards. Up yours.

“Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won’t be certain? We’ll look around and say ‘Pardon me, did you hear something?’?”

• Posted: 07 May 2002 01:33 PM #12

?what am i missing?

i want to submit one, but can’t figure out where to place it…

maybe you guys could help me…

thanks,

josh

(the image popped up at work…)  my avatar would be at this location:

Posted: 07 May 2002 01:51 PM #13

[quote author=“iShadow”]oh, and i have a red welsh dragon keychain given by a friend who visited there.  that would be a cool design.

Have a look at the members avatars listing—I’ve placed a Red Dragon there based on the Welsh flag, so it’s probably like your keychain fob.

Posted: 07 May 2002 03:51 PM #14

macuser01,

Just post it in this thread, and we will upload it to our server for you.  grin

Signature

• Posted: 07 May 2002 05:09 PM #15

bryan-  i had it on my post, but i just edited the above post to show the address where my avatar would be residing currently.  thanks-

macuser01