Are you willing to pay extra for DRM-free songs?

• Posted: 02 April 2007 06:26 PM #16

If you are worried about the artist you wouldn’t buy downloadable music. Fact is artists make much less off of downloadable music. Also, most artists hardly make any money from the labels. The money is made from touring.

[quote author=“arkough”]The question still in my mind, and I see no reference to it in the EMI or Apple press release, is how does this affect compensation to the creators of the music - the aritst. We the buying public, get an option to remove DRM from our recorded music and receive an improvement in sound quality. How do the artist fare in this new arrangement?

• Posted: 02 April 2007 06:36 PM #17

Re: Not really

[quote author=“DaiMac”]Like you yourself said, you either play around with it or it is your life, you can be a great band without your album going platinum, or owning 15 different mansions. Just as with professional athletes, I agree they deserve compensation but within reasonable limits. Just as Alex Rodriguez is not really worth 25 million a year, despite being an amazing player, U2 isn’t really worth 20 mil or whatever obscene amount it is they clear per show, at least not anymore.

But Alex Rodriguez is worth that much. U2 is worth that much.

Product X is worth as much as Consumer Y is willing to pay for it.

How much money an “artist” earns is rarely related to that artist’s skill in their field. Anna Kournikova, Britney Spears and Eminem come to mind. As opposed to, say, Vincent Van Gogh whose works were only really appreciated after his death.

EMIs library of artists such as Garth Brooks and Victoria Beckham certainly doesn’t inspire me to want to spend $AU2 per track, regardless of bitrate and intellectual freedom. Heck, higher bitrates are more likely to make me realise the flaw is in the artist, not the recording wink

• Posted: 03 April 2007 08:36 AM #18

[quote author=“CudaBoy”]

At least (name your brick-n-mortar) wasn’t Mobile-Exxon!!! Talk about Evil Empires. They (brick n mortar) had there place in time and still do marginally vis a vis high quality CD/SACD’s but the future will probably be web sourced. The Record Co.s sucked since year one…indentured slaves, payola etc. but as is the case, that paradigm is self imploding as the future slams on.

heh, yeah, thats why I made a point of specifying the “entertainment and media sector” in at least one of my posts, nothing anybody in that industry has done, perhaps even including the brazen acts of Rupert Murdock in co, comes close too what Exxon, Dow Chem, etc do to the world every day. Of course, its all a matter of your perspective I suppose.

[quote author=“CudaBoy”]As an early adopter of any superior sound format that comes along, I was there in the early 80’s when CD’s were introduced..matter of fact I was a drone at a major record co. here in Hollywood and I disagree with your assesment of CD’s.  Most weren’t classical at all. All kinds of music was being ripped 24/7 and pressed at any plant regardless of who owned what i.e. Capitol would contract Sony/CBS to press CD’s such was the clamor for the new format.

You’re obviously a bit older than I (no offense), so I’m sure you’re correct, thats just what I remember being available that my dad bought, and I do distinctly remember my mom being pissed at him because he had spent so much on the player and system and didn’t have any music that she liked on it smile

Please don’t get me wrong, I respect you (and my father’s) obsession with music that is exceptionally high quality, I’m just more into convenience. When a specific piece of music I want is available in high quality and I don’t have to trouble myself with getting new hardware or looking hard for it I’m game, like when a DVDa Dualdisc copy of The Fragile came into the store I was working at and I grabbed it before it hit the shelf, the only copy I saw when I was still there. I can hear the difference, but I’m just as happy listening to the AAC 192 kbps copy from my original CD in the car as I am with the AC3 files ripped from that DVDa played back on my 5.1 system at home. I’m with you though, more and higher quality choices are always better than less and lower quality. I’m preordered the new NIN cd on iTunes, but if I see a DVDa copy or something along those lines I’ll probably break down and get it as well. Don’t even get me started on Vinyl, thats a habit I’ve literally worked at breaking, just for economic reasons wink

I try not to talk too much smack about former Employers by name, but it was the chain formerly known as RecordTown/Camelot/Suncoast/etc where I worked as an asst. manager for awhile.

Oh and Vern, you’re right we’re mostly in agreement, I just thought you were waving the “free love/hippie/still naive child” stick at me and I wanted to clarify, sorry if I came off as overly annoyed or obnoxious 8-)

Grail: I just can’t feel you, especially on A-Rod, I think that was a crime against the sport (by Steinbrenner, I don’t blame Alex personally). If I cared more about baseball it might really bother me wink

Signature

Homer (to Chinese guide): You guys are Commies? Then why am I seeing rudimentary free markets?
    Chinese Audience: (massive collective sushh sound)
    -Simpsons, Season 16 Episode 12

Posted: 03 April 2007 03:54 PM #19

[quote author=“VSeward”]It’s all about choice and I don’t want anyone telling me that the Brother Bartholomew Dizzy Masta P Flash’s new album, ’ Chant This M(*&(*F(&(^^*!’ is crap and I can’t listen to it.

When is that coming out?  :D

Posted: 03 April 2007 04:08 PM #20

[quote author=“DaiMac”]

[quote author=“CudaBoy”]As an early adopter of any superior sound format that comes along, I was there in the early 80’s when CD’s were introduced..matter of fact I was a drone at a major record co. here in Hollywood and I disagree with your assesment of CD’s.  Most weren’t classical at all. All kinds of music was being ripped 24/7 and pressed at any plant regardless of who owned what i.e. Capitol would contract Sony/CBS to press CD’s such was the clamor for the new format.

You’re obviously a bit older than I (no offense), so I’m sure you’re correct, thats just what I remember being available that my dad bought, and I do distinctly remember my mom being pissed at him because he had spent so much on the player and system and didn’t have any music that she liked on it smile

Please don’t get me wrong, I respect you (and my father’s) obsession with music that is exceptionally high quality, I’m just more into convenience.

Ah, CudaBoy may not be all that old. I was “there” when 8-track tapes came out. Believe me, the current crop of downloadable music, even poor MP3s, is higher quality than the 45s I grew up with. Even most LPs were not that high quality. The players were even worse. Why were they popular? Convenience (one COULD buy a single song—well, two—on a 45) and cost. A teenager could afford 45s, but not LPs. Many 45s were about $0.49, some less. That was in 1960 and would be a LOT more than $0.99 or even $1.29 for a song on the iTunes Store.

• Posted: 04 April 2007 12:22 PM #21

[quote author=“gslusher”]Ah, CudaBoy may not be all that old. I was “there” when 8-track tapes came out. Believe me, the current crop of downloadable music, even poor MP3s, is higher quality than the 45s I grew up with. Even most LPs were not that high quality. The players were even worse. Why were they popular? Convenience (one COULD buy a single song—well, two—on a 45) and cost. A teenager could afford 45s, but not LPs. Many 45s were about $0.49, some less. That was in 1960 and would be a LOT more than $0.99 or even $1.29 for a song on the iTunes Store.

Ok, lemme be more specific, I’m only 27, I wasn’t trying to imply Cuda was ancient or anything, just older than me since he had a job at the time and I was in kindergarten wink

As to old school Vinyl, I used to go out with a girl whose Grandfather had a Victrola, which cost an arm and a leg back in the day, and yeah, the quality wasn’t good on those little records.

Sidenote: Somehow I missed that Air, one of EMI’s bands I actually like, came out with an album last month. I’m impatient though, so I went out and bought the CD rather than wait for the higher quality download. Oh well wink

Signature

Homer (to Chinese guide): You guys are Commies? Then why am I seeing rudimentary free markets?
    Chinese Audience: (massive collective sushh sound)
    -Simpsons, Season 16 Episode 12

• Posted: 10 April 2007 12:18 AM #22

I’ll pay the $.30. Why not? The singles paradigm allows me to compile a collection that would cost thousands more if I had to purchase the individual tracks on CD. I use iTunes to pump music through the house and the higher quality downloads will make a difference.

With classical music the extra $.30 is a worthwhile investment.