Phantom private message emails

• Posted: 27 April 2007 12:17 PM

I’ve gotten several phantom
    “You have Private Emails” messages recently.

When I go to check, there are no private massages for me.

Either there’s a bug in the forum software or someone is sending these emails out in a phishing operation.

The web address in the email seems to be correct and does point to the real server location (I think):
    http://www.ipodobserver.com/forums/privmsg.php?folder=inbox

It’s address from .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

I’m going to turn off my private message notification, but I figured I’d let you know in case it is a phishing attempt.

Posted: 27 April 2007 03:03 PM #1

I have seen the same thing recently. It appears that messages that were received weeks ago are triggering notifications.

Very odd indeed.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 29 April 2007 09:46 AM #2

I’ve received several myself. Here’s what I think is happening:

First, a couple facts about the way the software works. When you send a private message, it goes into your outbox and becomes available to the recipient (and email notification is sent if opted by the recipient). However, it’s not until the recipient actually opens the message that it moves from your Outbox to your Sentbox. Until that time, you, as the sender, can delete it from your Outbox and the recipient’s Inbox will no longer be able to access the message. It’s as if it was never there, except for the fact that the email notification has been sent. We’re accustomed to the way email works and this is different. It’s really more like posting a new forum topic, except that only one person has access to the “forum”. It’s the same thing if I were to post in a regular forum that you had set up for new post notificaiton. If I changed my mind a few minutes later and deleted my post, it wouldn’t be there any more. But, you’ve already been notified of a new post.

Just in the last couple of weeks some of us have been receiving PMs from spammers. The mods and staff have been kept busy lately manually deleting spam posts as well as the accounts of spammers that have registered. My theory, then, is that what you are experiencing is a spammer sending you a PM. You then get notified via email. Meanwhile, before you access the message post, the spammer’s account is deleted (along with any messages in his Outbox), and you find nothing in your Inbox when you get there.

Just my theory, but I think it’s quite likely the case.

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

Posted: 04 May 2007 04:25 AM #3

Bweels, I think you’re absolutely right, and we’re working on instituting better protection against spam registrations, as well.

[quote author=“bweels”]I’ve received several myself. Here’s what I think is happening:

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.