Do You Think Apple will port Renderman to OS X?

• Posted: 14 May 2002 06:26 AM

Do You Think Apple will port Renderman to OS X? Hey, it does sort of make sense! Rumor has it that it is going to happen.

Talk about a leg up on the competition! Pixar’s Renderman is one of the most impressive tools available for animation production, and if it was ported to X, I believe it would be a huge draw for studios. Pricing would be key.

Just my opinion.

Mitch

Signature

Hmmm… software.

Posted: 14 May 2002 07:13 AM #1

I think it will happen, though not from inside information.  It just makes sense that Pixar would do this for the simple reason that I think that Steve believes, I mean believes in Mac OS X.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 14 May 2002 07:51 AM #2

Not to mention the recent news that Pixar is moving a lot of machines to OS X.  Wouldn’t make much sense if they couldn’t run their own software now would it wink

Signature

All statements are to be taken with a grain of salt

• Posted: 15 May 2002 11:56 PM #3

Pixar’s moving their front-end work to MacOS X, but they’re still using Sun workstations for the heavy-duty rendering.  Replacing all of those would cost a LOT of money.

Yeah, Steve Jobs would love for Apple and Pixar to promote each other, but I don’t think he’s stupid enough to push for a switchover unless there really are benefits to doing so.

Signature

—R.J.
    G5 Inside

• Posted: 16 May 2002 02:40 AM #4

I agree with rjung. Even though Steve is the CEO of Apple he still knows what in the computer business is best for a certain task. If you need a big workstation to do Renderman on, he’d be stupid to switch to G4s, unless the G4s will be adequate. So, wile it’s nice to see more Apples inside Pixar, I doubt that the Sun and SG workstations will be replaced by Apples. Not until Apple has the machines with enough horsepower (Think quad G5).

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

• Posted: 16 May 2002 02:47 AM #5

I think Apple will port Renderman to OSX. If it’s good enough for Alias/Wavefront to port Maya, and due to Apple being serious about the industry in the purchase of Shake, and it’s own product Final Cut Pro, I can’t see why this wouldn’t happen.

Especially with the connection between Pixar and Apple (through Steve Jobs) and the recent announcements from Pixar concerning OSX.

I would expect Apple to license it and release ‘Apple Renderman’ (rather than buy the software unit from Pixar). I also expect Apple to purchase Maya eventially from Alias/Wavefront.

Then they’ll sell FCP, Shake, Maya and Renderman for $1999 a piece, and bundle them as $4999. They’ll also be keen to get the Maya clustering technology (ie. Maya Unlimited) working on MacOSX, so these little xServers will be used in Renderfarms.

• Posted: 16 May 2002 08:48 AM #6

I don’t work in 3d graphics, but it seems like it would be helpful to be able to run renderman on the front-end machines as well as the heavy lifting back ends. 

That way they can do small concept renderings on personal machines and save all the processing power they’ve got on the big iron for the real deal.  Is this not the way 3d firms work?

Signature

All statements are to be taken with a grain of salt

• Posted: 19 May 2002 03:04 PM #7

Another thought: if anyone’s going to port Renderman to MacOS X, it’ll be Pixar, not Apple.  Apple isn’t in the porting business.  wink

Signature

—R.J.
    G5 Inside