MacObserver Authentication

Posted: 10 May 2007 02:15 PM

For the last week or so I’ve noticed increasing problems with my authentication. I had it set to remember my login and this worked for months. Then earlier this week I noticed that it would occasionally forget me. Today I’ve found that I can go the TMO site, log in, restart Safari and it will have immediately forgotten. In addition even when the site says I’m logged in it often won’t recognize me. For example I logged in and posted a test message here
    http://www.macobserver.com/stockwatch/2007/05/10.2.shtml
    I then restarted Safari and logged in again. I could see the message saying “if you are not geoduck log in here” on the page, but when I tried to edit or delete my test message I got a screen saying “Sorry you can only edit or delete your own posts”.  Other times I’ve been logged in and tried to post and it says “sorry we don’t allow guest posts”, but I’m logged in and I can see the aforementioned “If you are not geoduck…” message.

I’ve tried to debug the issue a bit: I get this issue with Safari, the browser I’ve been using for months. I don’t see it with Firefox, which I haven’t been using in the past for TMO. I have cleared my cache and deleted almost all of my cookies (all except Amazon and my bank). Verified that Safari is set to accept cookies only from sites I navigate to. Restarted the machine several times. I seem now to be back to a stage where for this session I’m logged in and can function, but I’m virtually certain that as soon as I close and restart Safari it will forget that I’m logged in.

Any ideas?

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 10 May 2007 05:18 PM #1

geoduck, it’s not just you.  It’s a known issue that’s being looked at.  Have patience!  smile

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 10 May 2007 06:03 PM #2

Thanks. I was afraid that somehow by moving to Vancouver Island I had fallen off the edge of the TMO world.

Signature

Posted: 22 May 2007 06:22 PM #3

Twelve days have passed and the issue seems to be worse. Now it doesn’t remember me and I can’t seem to authenticate to comment on articles at all, just here in the forums. (Though why that would be the case I don’t know.) Any progress on your end?

Signature

Posted: 31 May 2007 03:36 AM #4

[quote author=“geoduck”]Twelve days have passed and the issue seems to be worse. Now it doesn’t remember me and I can’t seem to authenticate to comment on articles at all, just here in the forums. (Though why that would be the case I don’t know.) Any progress on your end?

I am having the same problem. When using Safari I can no longer log in, I am always redirected to the login dialog.
    All is working OK when using Firefox, but should not a Mac forum support Safari too?  :wink:

Posted: 31 May 2007 01:34 PM #5

We thought this was fixed, but, well, obviously it’s either broken again or is just still an issue.

It certainly just started again for me!

Thanks, folks, and thanks for the patience.  We’re working very, very hard on a lot of back end improvements, and we want everyone to have a great experience.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 15 August 2007 06:05 AM #6

Similar issue?—Camino

Not sure if this is related, but it has been several months since I’ve been able to log in using Camino. I even set up a whole new user (this one I’m posting under… my old user name was “mshoaf”.), and it still won’t work. Firefox seems to be the only browser that will let me log in. Same thing happens on all 3 of the Macs I typically use.

I’ve noticed a couple other posts suggesting I’m not the only one with this issue.

Not really a big deal for me as I usually have both Camino & Firefox already open, but if it helps diagnose the problem…. especially with that new Future Sonics promo you just announced! :D

• Posted: 15 August 2007 06:36 AM #7

I’m not sure this is the same problem I’m having, but I suspect it is since it started for me around the same time this thread began.

For the past couple months, MacObserver has been very quirky with login issues. First of all, it never remembers my login info between sessions. It even sometimes forgets it in the same browser session (I rarely quit Safari, so if it didn’t it wouldn’t really bother me).

For a week or so near the beginning of this problem, I couldn’t log in at all, but since then it has allowed me to log in. The weird thing is, it almost always requires me to log in TWICE before it takes. The first time, it just takes me back to the same page as though it worked, but I’m still not actually logged in.

This happens in both the forum and the article comments.

I’ve tried clearing cookies and caches and all the typical things. No effect. This happens in both Safari and Firefox, so I doubt it’s a browser issue.

Am I the only one still having this issue?

Posted: 15 August 2007 11:15 AM #8

I am still having problems with login

[quote author=“Mikuro”]I

Am I the only one still having this issue?

I still have problems. Maybe it because I don’t drive around the web with cookies enabled. When I go to a site that needs cookies, and I am willing to give them, then I will enable them.

What happens when I come here with cookies enabled I have to login twice before it takes.

I have tried deleting cookies, repairing permissions, et al, to no avail.

I like this site, and iPodObserver, so I go through the efforts, but I wish that could be remembered.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster