Uptimes

• Posted: 15 July 2001 07:38 AM

What is the longest you have gone without freezing the whole computer in Mac OS X? (This can be with normal restarts, or shutting down at night, but none of them forced.)

How about your best time without any restarts or shutdowns at all? 

How do these compare to the best uptimes you have had in Mac OS 8/9?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-15 04:18 ]</font>

Posted: 15 June 2001 01:33 AM #1

Ooooooohhhhhh!!

I have 36 days, 9 hours running on my PowerBook. That was when I updated it to OS X 10.0.3.

Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in their success, but in the way they achieved and maintain that success.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2001-06-15 04:34 ]</font>

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 07:21 AM #2

I think that my most was around 5 days because of a power outage, or a thunderstorm.  I can’t remember which.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Justin on 2001-06-15 10:21 ]</font>

• Posted: 15 June 2001 09:57 AM #3

I just noticed the uptime feature the other day.  I am currently going to test to see how long I can keep my machine up.  Right now its at 3 days, 4 hours.  It didn’t crash, I just reboot in OS 9 to play quake once in awhile.  In fact I’ve never had 10.0.3 crash on me, and I’ve never observed a kernel panic ever!  I got OS X the day it came out.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 15 June 2001 10:24 AM #4

Very cool, Retro, and welcome to the forums!

I just wanted to say that I posted that story I mentioned earlier.

http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/06/15.8.shtml

Looking forward to seeing what others have managed to get.

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 11:00 AM #5

Ok, I am not sure if this is specific to OS X client final, but I administered a system running MacOS Server 1.2 which had an uptime of 324 days before the power went out.  Now it is running Public Beta with an uptime of 125 days.  I have heard that public beta was supposed to expire, but we haven’t seen any effects of it.

This is a Quicktime Streaming Server which we pretty much leave alone.  The only reason we switched to Public Beta was to get QTSS 3.0.  Soon it will be updated to Server 2.0, but there has not been much of a need yet because it does everything just fine at the moment.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 11:00 AM #6

I’ve got 20 days running at a maximum, because one has to install OS updates . Before that I’ve repeatedly had up to two weeks running…

/ david (aka chmod007)

Posted: 15 June 2001 11:04 AM #7

On 2001-06-15 14:00, Anonymous wrote:
    Ok, I am not sure if this is specific to OS X client final, but I administered a system running MacOS Server 1.2 which had an uptime of 324 days before the power went out.  Now it is running Public Beta with an uptime of 125 days.

Wow!  Very cool.

Signature

• Posted: 15 June 2001 11:09 AM #8

I had 13+ days, which I thought was great, and then I had to reboot to *do* something in OS 9, either Scan something or install something or whatever.  I was fairly bummed.

I have a personal goal of going from the release of 10.1 (or whatever the MWNY update will be called) to Thanksgiving without rebooting.  Who knows if that will be possible, or if I’ll feel compelled to play UT or something and restart, but that’s what I’m going to aim for.

Why?  Well, because I can.

Signature

You better eat him Mitch…before I do.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 01:55 PM #9

Although I use a G4/400AGP/9.1/1GB RAM at home (for Photoshop, mostly) and I have to reboot it quite often, during the day I work as a DB analyst in a large IT shop where ‘big iron’ means a 64-CPU Sun E10K, 64GB of RAM, and terabytes of disk. My work PC (300PII/NT4sp4/128M RAM) stays up for weeks without rebooting even though I’m always launching and quitting apps (I have eight running as I type this, including DB tools and dev tools).

We recently had to move a server nicknamed ‘Athena’—a DEC Alpha 2100 running Sybase 11 on VMS. The migration team had to snapshot the database and image it to tape before powering the box down. Long story short: Athena, which hosts a multiuser production RDBMS, logged over 550 days *straight* without a reboot even though it was being hammered with DB transactions, day in, day out. Now THAT’S uptime.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 02:14 PM #10

14 days—it would be longer if not for booting into 9 to use my cdrw and lexmark printer!

• Posted: 15 June 2001 02:38 PM #11

I also run an OS X Server 1.x box at work and current uptime is:

% uptime
    10:55AM up 274 days, 13:04, 3 users, load averages: 2.79, 2.59, 2.79

Prior to that, it was up for 177 days but went down due to an extended power failure.

At home, I have an old G3 relegated for use as a server/NAT router and it has been online for 35 days (reboot needed after updating to 10.0.3).

The longest uptime I’ve personally had was on a Sun SPARC IPX running SunOS 4.1.4 (1168 days before an extended power failure).

• Posted: 15 June 2001 02:58 PM #12

Forgot to add that I have a couple of old Mac’s at work just doing miscellaneous duties in a “server” type role (i.e. no constant launching/closing of apps that ultimately cause memory fragmentation).

7200 running 8.6:  MacUptime shows 328 days
    6100 running 8.1: 105 days
    SE/30 running 7.1: 413 days

• Posted: 15 June 2001 09:18 PM #13

Had a fileserver running for 2 months or so, but it crashed before i could take the screen shot, this is the last photo before that. I went off on a trip after it was taken, so i wasn’t able to update it continously.

Try not to hit it too hard, and mirror if you want to make it a headliner.

-Mr. Zarquon

• Posted: 16 June 2001 10:53 AM #14

This is funny, because right after I read this article, I encountered a bug in OSX that wouldn’t let me shut down, restart, log out, or even force quit!  I guess my system wanted to go for the record more than I did. 

Posted: 16 June 2001 08:44 PM #15

Unfortunately I’ve never had a chance to really test it. I quite happily run 9.1 stuff under OS X, except for syncing my Palm - which I do daily so that I can read the Guardian newspaper (http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk) when I have my coffee in the morning. To do that I have to reboot under 9.1, sync, reboot, restart dnetc and leave for work.

If it weren’t for that, I’m sure that I’d be able to keep it running for weeks - it’s pretty stable under 10.0.3, although earlier versions did crap out on me a few times.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming