FINAL CUT STUDIO: Skipped clips during batch capture

Posted: 17 May 2007 02:36 AM

Hello world,

I’m capturing DVCAM clips from a Sony PD170P, using FCPro 5 (aka ‘Studio’) on my Macbook Pro.

I often get timecode breaks on the tapes- and that’s part of my work indeed- but the app is designed to go on… anyway, when I run batch capture sometimes clips are skipped and I need to run the capture again to get the work properly done.

I never had this issue on FCP 3 under Mac OS9 (TC breaks were so poorly managed!), but now FCP 5 bugs with DVCAM tapes only, apparently.

Any idea? Thanks in advance!

ciao:sem

Signature

-
    -
    -
    Nothing is real, all is possible

• Posted: 23 May 2007 01:22 PM #1

Re: FINAL CUT STUDIO: Skipped clips during batch capture

[quote author=“sem68-19”]I’m capturing DVCAM clips from a Sony PD170P, using FCPro 5 (aka ‘Studio’) on my Macbook Pro.

I often get timecode breaks on the tapes- and that’s part of my work indeed- but the app is designed to go on… anyway, when I run batch capture sometimes clips are skipped and I need to run the capture again to get the work properly done.

Can you disable recognizing timecode breaks, capture the whole shebang as one stream, and break it up after? That’s how Mrs. Road does it, I think simply because she prefers it that way. We don’t have DVCAM equipment, although her Panasonic deck will read DVCAM tapes.

Signature

Posted: 23 May 2007 01:37 PM #2

Sure I can, then I’ll create subclips by means of the DVin/out catch feature.
    The only issue is about the file size that will make it difficult to manage, still being on HFS+

Signature

-
    -
    -

• Posted: 25 May 2007 07:19 PM #3

Do you still have a machine running FC3 on OS 9?

If so, why not do your captures with that machine and import the clips into your preferred editor? It would mean an extra step but you’d have an instant capture back-up.

Just an option if all else fails.

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

Posted: 26 May 2007 01:45 AM #4

Yes, thanks!
    I always have FCP3 up&running; under OS9 but I use it rarely, and it’s almost useless since I discovered that 50% of the FCP3 projects cannot be opened under FCP5 (file not valid or from a newer version of final cut).
    And viceversa, DV-PAL quicktimes from FCP5 don’t open anymore under QT for FCP3… that’s a real war. :(

Anyway, I used a lot of patience to finish the DVCAM capture under FC Studio, I feel better now.

Signature

-
    -
    -

• Posted: 27 May 2007 04:51 PM #5

I’m surprised you can’t add DV-PAL captures from FCP3.

I hope to be getting FCP5 soon. I’m keen to reveal the same file inconsistencies that are making your life so difficult.

In the meantime…

Damn you Sony. Damn you to HELL!

raspberry

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

Posted: 28 May 2007 02:04 AM #6

[quote author=“coaten”]I’m surprised you can’t add DV-PAL captures from FCP3.

Yes, I think it’s an issue about the file types passing from OS X Tiger to OS 9.2.2, maybe a fork problem… DV-PAL under QT should always be the same, or not?! :bugeyed:

I never feel like checking it properly because my FCP3 is a “retired general”, since then.
    smile

Signature

-
    -
    -