Which Linux/UNIX desktop do you prefer?

• Posted: 19 August 2007 03:54 AM

For those of you who use Linux or another UNIX-like system, how do you like your desktop? Is it GNOME or KDE? Do you prefer something other than the big two, such as Window Maker, xfce, or fluxbox/blackbox?

Posted: 19 August 2007 05:18 AM #1

I’ll vote GNOME.  I’ve never much cared for what I’ve seen in the KDE desktop, though I do think its slowly getting better.

I will note my current Linux machine is setup with WindowMaker, but I very rarely use the graphical interface on the fileserver.  If I were going to setup a Linux machine for daily desktop use, it would be GNOME.

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

• Posted: 19 August 2007 05:51 AM #2

I’ve always liked Window Maker best

As far as looks go, I prefer Window Maker, usually with the chumbo style and the sunset background.

I also like blackbox. But these wm’s don’t always have the functionality of KDE or GNOME, so it’s a tradeoff.

In Jaguar, I’d run XDarwin and use Window Maker fullscreen as my window manager, but now I just use the aqua-like wm in X11.

I’ve used KDE in Linux, but not recently, and it wasn’t as responsive as I’d have liked. I’ve never tried GNOME on my own machines.

Signature

MacBook (2 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 60 GB, Superdrive).

iPhone

iBook (800 MHz G3, 640 MB RAM, 30 GB, Combo Drive).

• Posted: 19 August 2007 11:19 AM #3

Every once in a while I see a screenshot of the latest KDE and it piques my interest. I decide to try it again, but something about it rubs me the wrong way and I end up going back to GNOME.

I also like Window Maker and Fluxbox a lot but they are missing some of what you expect from a full-fledged, modern desktop right off the bat, so I don’t end up sticking with them very long. I don’t want to spend a lot of time tweaking these environments to my liking on a machine on which my X11 use is relatively rare anyway.

In the end, GNOME feels like the most comfortable and easy option if you don’t want to futz with it a lot.

• Posted: 31 August 2007 02:57 PM #4

Back when I was using Linux, I kept KDE and AfterStep available. I wasn’t a Gnome fan… the apps never appealed to me and there was at the time a snotty attitude among some that Gnome was the One True Desktop. I was running Linux partly to get away from that kind of attitude, and the KDE users & developers struck me as more the “welcome to the party, have a beer” type of people I wanted to associate with.

I ran AfterStep primarily, with KDE as a backup, because AfterStep was wicked-fast on my beige G3. KDE run well enough, but seemed just a little pokey. I still have the G3 set up as a guest system, and I’m seriously thinking about switching it back to Linux instead of trying to burden it with a later version of OSX.

Signature

Posted: 31 August 2007 07:08 PM #5

I agree with David that there is just something about KDE that annoys me.  Every time I’ve sat down at a KDE machine, something about it just made me go “Meh, this is annoying.”

I will note that my GNOME decision is actually backed up by what I do now.  I have a UNIX desktop at work, and I use GNOME on it 100% of the time these days.  GNOME works well for me, but I’m glad KDE is out there for the people that was that kind of desktop.

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."