Looking at the Wikipedia entry for iPod

• Posted: 20 August 2007 02:53 PM

the first photo they show, of the newest model of iPod, made me wonder, is an aluminum iPod coming?

The picture is of a white one, but it has some suggestions of metal, and it might be an interesting idea. I don’t know about static issues, though.

Signature

MacBook (2 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 60 GB, Superdrive).

iPhone

iBook (800 MHz G3, 640 MB RAM, 30 GB, Combo Drive).

Posted: 20 August 2007 03:13 PM #1

Why not?  The nano already is aluminum, and so is the shuffle.  The video iPod is the last iPod not in an aluminum case.  Apple is moving all their product lines to aluminum cases.  The Mac Book is the last computer model not in aluminum.

I’d guess its in the pipe to have a video iPod in aluminum, its only a question of when.

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

Posted: 22 August 2007 09:33 AM #2

What FE said. smile

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 22 August 2007 01:54 PM #3

Makes me wonder… the following is wild speculation:

Could this be the first step to the pro equipment taking on a new style or material? The Mac Pro and MacBook Pro are using case designs that have been virtually the same for several years. Maybe part of the long-term redesign strategy is for the consumer devices to inherit the style of the pro systems, while the pro systems themselves get a new design in the next revision or two.

Or it could be that they’re just trying to establish a more unified look across all the lines for branding purposes.

Posted: 22 August 2007 02:15 PM #4

[quote author=“David Nelson”]Makes me wonder… the following is wild speculation:

Could this be the first step to the pro equipment taking on a new style or material? The Mac Pro and MacBook Pro are using case designs that have been virtually the same for several years. Maybe part of the long-term redesign strategy is for the consumer devices to inherit the style of the pro systems, while the pro systems themselves get a new design in the next revision or two.

Or it could be that they’re just trying to establish a more unified look across all the lines for branding purposes.

I doubt they will be changing the designs of the Pro line away from aluminum cases anytime soon, and I’m going to quote the Apple Press Release to help make my point.

Our new design features the innovative use of materials, including professional-grade aluminum and glass, that are highly recyclable.”

If Apple was being serious about that, then I can’t see them moving to cases that wouldn’t be highly recyclable.  Since the plastic cases the iMacs were in apparently didn’t qualify, I can’t see Apple introducing many new plastic models.  I think we will be seeing aluminum cases for quite some time.

Signature

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw

• Posted: 22 August 2007 07:38 PM #5

[quote author=“FlatEric”]Since the plastic cases the iMacs were in apparently didn’t qualify, I can’t see Apple introducing many new plastic models.  I think we will be seeing aluminum cases for quite some time.

True, and a good point I had not considered. Thanks for bringing that up.

However, the possibility still exists that we’ll see a change of some kind. I could see some kind of colored aluminum. Such as a black-tinted metal for the pro systems? Just a thought. Because if they’re not planning something like that, it would definitely signify a shift in Apple’s traditional approach—at least over the last decade or so—of differentiating pro and consumer machines based on either color or materials.

Of course, Apple has made lots of unexpected changes lately by offering a headless consumer machine, switching to Intel, releasing a new PDA (sort of, in the form of the iPhone), etc. It’s not like a unified style would be earth shattering, relatively speaking.

Posted: 22 August 2007 08:09 PM #6

[quote author=“David Nelson”]However, the possibility still exists that we’ll see a change of some kind. I could see some kind of colored aluminum. Such as a black-tinted metal for the pro systems? Just a thought. Because if they’re not planning something like that, it would definitely signify a shift in Apple’s traditional approach—at least over the last decade or so—of differentiating pro and consumer machines based on either color or materials.

Also a good point.  Apple has already proved that they can do colored aluminum with the iPod Shuffle and iPod Nano product lines, so I could see them moving that technology into the computer arena, assuming its not too expensive.  I wonder if this might mean we will see the resumption of color choices in the consumer machines.  It has been quite some time since Apple did that, and the last time was the G3 iMac line if I’m not mistaken.  I actually think that might make the consumer line a bit more appealing myself, though I still doubt I’d buy into the iMac line at the moment.

Signature

• Posted: 22 August 2007 08:20 PM #7

I think Apple has learned a few lessons from their retail stores—including the value of smaller packaging and fewer configurations for simpler stocking and inventory. For this very reason I suspect that any hypothetical return to multiple color choices would be cautious and limited in variety. Perhaps modeled after the current MacBook which is available in two white configurations and one black. The gist of my statement above was more that they could use tinted aluminum to differentiate the pro and consumer lines while using the same materials for both, not so much that I have reason to believe they’ll offer multiple choices for the same model. That said, my personal thought is:

Aluminum iMacs and MacBooks with the same color choices as the iPod nano would be very appealing. If it were an option, I would feel pretty motivated to upgrade from my white MacBook (which is completely satisfactory otherwise) to a nice green aluminum model, if similar to the material of the nano pictured below. I used to own a lime iMac DV, and wanted a key lime iBook back when they were current. If Apple offered this choice it would allow me a modicum of redemption from my failure to obtain that green iBook. wink

Posted: 23 August 2007 06:58 PM #8

[quote author=“David Nelson”]I think Apple has learned a few lessons from their retail stores—including the value of smaller packaging and fewer configurations for simpler stocking and inventory. For this very reason I suspect that any hypothetical return to multiple color choices would be cautious and limited in variety.

Well, I do suppose that follows with what we are seeing out of Apple with regards to configuration.  Maybe the experiment into color choices in computers (other than white or black) is over at Apple, but it is hard to tell.  Perhaps they think the market for that is dead right now.  I’ve been wondering if Apple is just waiting and watching the market trends before hopping back into the colored computer market.

I will say that for stocking multiple options, you would think the current iMac line would be far better than the G3 or G4 based product lines.  Should be easier to fit more machines in the same space in the stockroom.  I would think this would make it easier to Apple to support a greater number of configurations, but I could be missing something.

Signature

• Posted: 23 August 2007 09:07 PM #9

[quote author=“FlatEric”]Well, I do suppose that follows with what we are seeing out of Apple with regards to configuration.  Maybe the experiment into color choices in computers (other than white or black) is over at Apple, but it is hard to tell.  Perhaps they think the market for that is dead right now.  I’ve been wondering if Apple is just waiting and watching the market trends before hopping back into the colored computer market.

Quite possible. I am sure that we will see color choices again at some point in Apple’s future. Some day Apple will decide straight aluminum is out and color is in again. But anyone’s guess is as good as mine when that might be.

[quote author=“FlatEric”]I would think this would make it easier to Apple to support a greater number of configurations, but I could be missing something.

My spin on the matter:
    It’s a case of taking one step forward, one step back. They can fit more computers in the same space, but more unique configurations means that there are fewer of each available at any given moment. They end up back at about the same place they were when we had few configurations but big boxes, such as when the iMac G4 was current. Effectively, inventory would not be any easier or more streamlined than it was then, just different.