Airport Base Stations: What's the difference?

• Posted: 30 May 2002 06:11 PM

Hello friendly and knowledgable peeps,

I’m in the market for an Airport Base Station. And a card, too, of course. Wouldn’t it be nice if Apple released an Airport *Bass* Station? One with which the funk bomb could be dropped? Anyway, what’s the difference between the old (graphite) base and the new (white-ish) base? And what does the new Airport software do to each model?

I was thinking about just getting an old base on eBay and using the new software with it. Will that work? Will I be missing anything? I have DSL; any problems with that? Earthlink DSL. OS X of course, on a Pismo.

If anyone replies I will repay you with free photo re-touching. I love you all.

Alan

• Posted: 30 May 2002 09:40 PM #1

Tin-kay! Do fries go wit’ dat shake?

Anyway, the main difference between the two is that the white one has an extra Ethernet port so you can physically attach a stationary, non-AirPort-equipped computer to it.

Also, the white model has 128-bit encryption, where the graphite has 40-bit. Don’t really know what this means in terms of real-life usage. The far-right column on Apple’s AirPort product page has a bit of info on this.

Turnin’ this mutha out,
    Gina

• Posted: 30 May 2002 10:23 PM #2

Brilliant, thank you for clarifying that. I wasn’t sure if there was something important that I was missing. With this in mind, I think I will go the eBay route for a graphite model.

Now then, you have earned free photo re-touching services, so post a pic.

Alan

Posted: 31 May 2002 12:17 AM #3

Re: Airport Base Stations: What’s the difference?

[quote author=“Tinky Winky”]Wouldn’t it be nice if Apple released an Airport *Bass* Station? One with which the funk bomb could be dropped? Anyway…

That literally made me laugh out loud.  It was more of a choked chortle, because I drinking some Diet Coke at the time, but you get my point.  grin

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.