Possible Slideshow In Reverse?

• Posted: 01 September 2007 06:19 PM

Hello,

I need software that operates the reverse of most slideshow programs I’ve seen: a) the standard procedure is to load photos (I’m working with old-fashioned snapshots) and then apply “music” as a sort of “layer” attached to each photo; b) instead, what I want to be able to do is to *first* load my “music” (actually, this would be a prerecorded, hour long conversation) and then to insert snapshots at various appropriate spots in the conversation.

These tape recordings of mine (all an hour or longer) now are AIFF files on my HD. As for the pictures, these were taken from old photo albums and scanned/digitized to my HD.

You can see that slicing up the audio (into “songs”) would not work well in dealing with continuous and uninterrupted dialogue. Rather, I’d need to be able to first import each whole audio file and then to place and appropriately stretch the duration of each photo to extend the length of each conversational topic as it arises.

Finally, the finished project would be burned to DVD playable/viewable by DVD player or on television.

Is what I need to do anywhere within the capability of software that anyone is familiar with?

Thanks,

Dave

• Posted: 02 September 2007 12:32 PM #1

It seems to me that you should use software that is made not for slideshows, but for movies. That way you can stick your soundtrack in, then place still frames at the appropriate points in the timeline, and give each one the right duration so it remains on screen until the next image appears. iMovie ‘06 would probably be perfectly fine for this job.

• Posted: 02 September 2007 03:02 PM #2

Yep, David (I don’t know, I’ve always liked that name) I’m going to give iMovie a try. From looking at the manual and various tutorials, though, I get the impression that you lay down video/photos before anything else.

But, I’ll see how flexible the software is.

Dave

• Posted: 02 September 2007 05:56 PM #3

[quote author=“dave393”]From looking at the manual and various tutorials, though, I get the impression that you lay down video/photos before anything else.

Nope, you can put whatever you want in the timeline first, whether it’s movies, images, or audio tracks.

Good luck! smile