eMac now available for all!

• Posted: 04 June 2002 06:05 AM

Apple has made the eMac available to everyone at $1099 or $1158 for eMac and stand.

Looks like a good deal indeed.

http://www.apple.com/emac

Posted: 04 June 2002 06:34 AM #1

Thanks for posting this, Fletch.  While we were working on the story about Apple’s announcement, I asked Jinkies to come and post something about it for the Hot Forum Topic, and saw that you had already done so.  grin

I think this is a dynamite move by Apple.  Check out our news item for more commentary.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 06:39 AM #2

While I think this is a big win for the consumer, I still don’t believe it broadens the market appreciably.  I could be wrong, though.  It is indeed $300 less than the cheapest iMac right now.  I don’t think it’ll change our plans to buy iMacs at work, though.  I sure don’t want to deal with those big heavy eMacs. :D

EDIT:  How about some info on new pricing?  Remember, when the eMac was introduced, the individual edu pricing for the CD-RW model was $1249.  This is not just an intro to the public but a notable price cut as well it seems.  Interested to see if they’ve cut that price by $200, and what about the base CD-ROM only unit price?

• Posted: 04 June 2002 06:49 AM #3

[quote author=“CrazyOne”]EDIT:  How about some info on new pricing?  Remember, when the eMac was introduced, the individual edu pricing for the CD-RW model was $1249.  This is not just an intro to the public but a notable price cut as well it seems.  Interested to see if they’ve cut that price by $200, and what about the base CD-ROM only unit price?

Actually, that price is for a combo DVD/CDRW. However, the edu individual price for a CDROM only hasn’t changed.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 07:00 AM #4

eMac Added to Apple Desktop Comparison Chart!

In anticipation of this announcement, I went ahead and managed to squeeze the eMac into the desktop lineup:

http://www.aapltalk.com/shootouts/desktop_comparison.html

Warning: your screen will have to have at least 1152-pixel width in order to view the whole page; the addition of the eMac just made it too damned wide! smile

The $1,100 price point is interesting…I was expecting $100 more…looks to me like they’re positioning the eMac to phase out the $1,000 iMac G3 CD-RW, which is a Good Thing.

The $1,100 eMac nicely fills in the gap between the $1,000 iMac G3 and the $1,400 iMac G4.

—BlueDjinn

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 04 June 2002 07:44 AM #5

[quote author=“Anonymous”]Actually, that price is for a combo DVD/CDRW. However, the edu individual price for a CDROM only hasn’t changed.

Ah, thanks, I guess that is the difference.  Although, it does make one wonder, why didn’t they offer this model in the first place?  Seems to me having the CD-RW without the DVD would be somethign desirable by many edu eMac purchasers as well as consumers, particularly if it saves them 200 bucks.  Combo is nice, but the combo drives only write at 12x, whereas the plain RW writes at 24x (assuming they’re the same as in the iMac, which is a reasonable assumption).  In other words, you take a hit in speed as well as in the pocketbook for a rather gimmicky extra feature (playing DVDs) as far as I’m concerned.  My Cube plays DVDs, and I only use it on rare occasion, just because it’s there.  If it wasn’t there, I wouldn’t miss it.

Anyway, the upshot of all this is indeed good for the consumer.  I wonder how many potential buyers of that combo drive unit will opt for this instead, though, even with no edu pricing?  That would still be a $150 savings.  And I’ll bet they do the standard shave off 50 bucks for individual student/staff as well, which will bump it to the full $200 off.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 07:53 AM #6

At first blush, this appears to be a super value for all mac fans!!!! This is probably going to be my next Mac.

Mitch

Signature

Hmmm… software.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 09:29 AM #7

eMac for the People

Since the original G4 SuperComputer introduction (@ 400 MHz, or maybe 350 MHz), Apple has warranted a constant “swift-kick-in-the-pants”!!!  I call it ‘constructive criticism’, but others may not appreciate my tone.

Our “computer for the REST of us” was becoming the “computer for the ELITE of us”.  Apples constant comparison with BMW’s market share didn’t help.  Not exactly in the tradition of the Apple II.

Unleashing the eMac was expected, but it’s still GREAT news for the Mac community and its developers.

Now if Apple will just include some GHz G3 (derived) hardware, and make OSX run as fast as OS9…  OPPS.  There he goes again!

Ion_Quest

• Posted: 04 June 2002 09:53 AM #8

Now I am curious about the “future” of the original G3 iMac.

:-?

Signature

• Posted: 04 June 2002 10:00 AM #9

[quote author=“Leonis”]Now I am curious about the “future” of the original G3 iMac.

:-?

I am curious too. I own a G3 iMac, and love it. I don’t use OS X that much, so under OS 9, it is fine. I am going to keep mine, and give it to my girlfriend… I am buying an eMac very soon!

You know, this is a huge development for the Mac market. A G4, loaded with 256 or 384 MB Ram for under $1,400!!!??? SWEET!

Mitch

Signature

Hmmm… software.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 10:10 AM #10

I don’t think it’s that big of a deal for Apple to make the eMac available to the public, but if it pleases the customers, that’s good enough.

(Boy, that Apple lineup is getting more and more crowded these days, ainnit? wink )

BTW, what’s the difference between the two versions of the eMac listed at the Apple Store?  Near as I can tell, the “Custom built” one differs from the regular one only in that it has the eMac stand included as well.  Am I missing something?

Signature

—R.J.
    G5 Inside

• Posted: 04 June 2002 10:34 AM #11

Good move!!

As a G3 All-In-One owner this is a move Apple should have been doing all along. When they released my A-I-O to schools only they had no one-piece unit. Had they sold these publicly they’d sold more.  I LOVE mine, still working, and writing this on it now.

Remember, the all-in-one design gave Apple its start in 1984, and it’s RESTART in 1997! (But that Restart was preceeded by my All-In-One!  raspberry

Mr. B

PS. Anyone know how to get a better/faster video card for this workin on the built in monitor? (The only drawback)

• Posted: 04 June 2002 12:23 PM #12

iMac G4 Graphics vs eMac G4 Graphics

iMac G4 Graphics vs eMac G4 Graphics

It appears that both the iMac G4 and eMac G4 use the same graphics engine or card… nVidia GeForce 2 MX. Correct? This is important to me because I am going to be gaming with the eMac as well as doing some real work! grin

Mitch

Signature

Hmmm… software.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 12:25 PM #13

Mitch—

Complete detailed specs on every desktop Mac system are here:

smile

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 04 June 2002 12:38 PM #14

[quote author=“BlueDjinn”]Mitch—

Complete detailed specs on every desktop Mac system are here:

smile

Thank you!

Mitch

Signature

Hmmm… software.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 12:42 PM #15

Wait, only a CD-RW? No option for a Combo drive or even a DVD drive? Argh! :x

I wish there was a DVD-ROM option, maybe even for the same price as the CD-RW option.

Then again, it looks like it’s just a plain half-height drive bay behind there… :eg:

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!