MP3's

• Posted: 04 June 2002 11:07 AM

Well, I just broke 4 days of straight play time in my MP3’s.  I’ve only ripped about half my cd’s too (or maybe less).  MP3’s really make you realize how much music you have….

1400 songs, 6.5 gigs, 4 days playtime…..

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 11:37 AM #1

Re: MP3’s

[quote author=“jstanard”]Well, I just broke 4 days of straight play time in my MP3’s.  I’ve only ripped about half my cd’s too (or maybe less).  MP3’s really make you realize how much music you have….

1400 songs, 6.5 gigs, 4 days playtime…..

It took me forever to rip my collection. I am glad it is over.  I also ripped mine in different ways, some MP3 at 128, some at 256, and some using the Ogg Vorbis format. I even have some wav files.

Mitch

Signature

Hmmm… software.

• Posted: 04 June 2002 12:32 PM #2

Converting CDs to MP3 is a daunting task for me.  I get restless trying to do it sometimes.  about 200 CDs were stolen out of my car in september and I freaked out about it (as I should have) and started ripping everything.  Including my live shows that I have and the cds i have ripped and the ones from emusic.com, I have something like 28.8 gigs of music.  It’s something like 24,000 minutes of music (?16+ days worth of non repeatable music!).  It just keeps going up.  I’m a music junkie, and I went out and bought a 60 gig la cie firewire drive just for music.  But now I have a backup and i barely listen to cds anymore.

Posted: 04 June 2002 04:27 PM #3

It took me about two weeks of evenings to do mine—getting a machine with OS X was the deciding factor.

iTunes’ rip speed in OS 9 drops so drastically when iTunes is in the background, you really can’t use the computer for much else while you’re doing it (unless you want the process to take a year). With OS X, foreground, background, doesn’t matter! I was able to do real work on the computer while iTunes chugged away, swapping CDs every few minutes.

Now with QuickTime 6 and AAC, I’m giving serious thought to doing it again. I need to do some listening tests and hopefully existing iPods can be updated through firmware, but if the quality’s there, it’s back to “A” for me.

But now I have a backup and i barely listen to cds anymore.

I hear you there. I’ve got many CDs now that have never been played in an audio player. It’s weird—they get ripped to the computer (which can play audio to three rooms in the house), transferred to the iPod and then the CD goes to the shelves. I’ve been getting CDs for close to 17 years now. Still trying to wrap my head around this new situation. smile

12,438 songs - 32 days, 10 hours, 59 minutes, 7 seconds - 52.38 GB

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 04 June 2002 07:13 PM #4

Re: MP3’s

[quote author=“Sigmascape”] some MP3 at 128, some at 256, and some using the Ogg Vorbis format. I even have some wav files.

Mitch

I rip all my mp3s at 128… never even heard of the Ogg Vorbis format.  anything unique about it?

Signature

hey, reckless minds…

• Posted: 06 June 2002 02:42 AM #5

It took me four months to rip mine, including vinyl records that is. CD’s mostly at 192k, vinyl at 320k. The result:

43,251 songs - 139 days, 2 hours, 15 seconds - 229,3GB

The problem now is: I can’t store all my MP3’s at work anymore. Limited to 60GB on my workstation and some 20GB on an NT server :(

• Posted: 06 June 2002 03:03 AM #6

Ogg Vorbis is an open source format, unlike mp3 which is not really free (patented, and licensed). It claims to take up less space and sound better. Enjoy.

Signature

Evil® takes many forms. Please submit them promptly, in triplicate.

• Posted: 06 June 2002 03:13 AM #7

What about ogg Vorbis compared to ACC? I mean quality/quantity-wise…