an iPhone for me

Posted: 26 October 2007 05:15 PM

After much though and given that there will not be iPhones on sale in my country for a while, I decided to just try and ask if some AFB member living in the US would be kind enough to buy one for me and send it to me. No activation needed. I will activate and unlock it myself. Of course I will pay in advance by any means we find adequate. Thank you very much for your help.

Posted: 26 October 2007 06:16 PM #1

Re: an iPhone for me

[quote author=“carbonat”]After much though and given that there will not be iPhones on sale in my country for a while, I decided to just try and ask if some AFB member living in the US would be kind enough to buy one for me and send it to me. No activation needed. I will activate and unlock it myself. Of course I will pay in advance by any means we find adequate. Thank you very much for your help.

Why don’t you just buy a unlocked one from France instead once Orange start selling them? smile

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 October 2007 12:04 AM #2

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”]
    Why don’t you just buy a unlocked one from France instead once Orange start selling them? smile

Well, because I feel the urge to have one RIGHT NOW, that is. I think you had that feeling some time ago so you will understand it.

To be honest, I had the opportunity yesterday to play a bit with an unlocked one that a friend of mine had bought from eBay (at an incredible high price) and not surprisingly I got thrilled by the experience. I just wondered if I could be smarter and have mine for a more reasonable price. DMO-SF has already offered to buy one for me. Thanks to everybody.

• Posted: 27 October 2007 07:04 AM #3

I’m jealous…In Korea, they use cdma and wcdma.  no gsm.  In august the KTF CEO, the second biggest telecom in korea, stated they had talked to apple about creating a cdma chip for asia.  I’m not completely sure what countries use what, but all i know is that samsung, lg and the telecos sk, ktf and lg telecom have a monopoly.  motorola is the only foriegn phone that i’ve seen working here and it drives me crazy!!!  (the razr phones by the way are the only phones i’ve seen)

there is no erricson, no nokia.  both had to bow out…they could not get into the market.  I just started seeing crackberries last year. 
    I feel so left out of the whole iphone experience…I do have an Ipod touch which I pre-ordered and got before the resellers in korea got them…hehe..made them drool over it…btw, they can’t keep any of the touches in stock.  they sell out before they even get to the store…

WCDMA is guess is considered 3G here…really frustrating…btw…600 bucks for a phone is nothing here…the prada came out at 1000 and 3 months later it was 400…and now it is probably 250…I haven’t been impressed with any phone here and haven’t bought a new one since I got here 5 years ago.  Same over priced crap.

Trust me, the iphone would do very well out here…I know a lot of bloggers have been poopooing it out here saying its a rip off of the prada…but we all know that is not true…

sorry for the rant…i just really want an iphone and just wish i could hack one to use.

Posted: 10 November 2007 03:47 AM #4

First post from my iPhone (Thanks to DMO-SF) actvated and unlocked for use in Spanish carrier Telefonica Movistar. An amazing device, for sure smile

• Posted: 10 November 2007 03:55 AM #5

[quote author=“carbonat”]First post from my iPhone (Thanks to DMO-SF) actvated and unlocked for use in Spanish carrier Telefonica Movistar. An amazing device, for sure smile

Carbonate….next time make yourself a US postal adress and order it at the US Apple Online store!  See here: http://www.myus.com

I have no clue if there is a catch but I order stuff in the US now and then and this would be a nice alternative and in some cases a money-saverr.

Posted: 10 November 2007 05:36 AM #6

[quote author=“MacB”][quote author=“carbonat”]First post from my iPhone (Thanks to DMO-SF) actvated and unlocked for use in Spanish carrier Telefonica Movistar. An amazing device, for sure smile

Carbonate….next time make yourself a US postal adress and order it at the US Apple Online store!  See here: http://www.myus.com

I have no clue if there is a catch but I order stuff in the US now and then and this would be a nice alternative and in some cases a money-saverr.

Thanks MacB, I noted it for later reference.

Posted: 10 November 2007 05:54 AM #7

By the way, As I feared, it was originally a pain to type in anything other than English: the auto-corrector kept changing words and making stupid suggestions. Words used a lot such as prepositions or articles were changed to similar spelling English words.

However as I use it more, and as I keep refusing the auto-corrections that it does, it seems that the iPhone stops to suggest anything that I previously have rejected, which is good, because it allows me to type in other languages with less disturbances.

However I think that Apple should have provided a way to deactivate completely the correction feature, which I did not find, so far.

• Posted: 10 November 2007 06:04 AM #8

What firmware does your phone have? I would think that 1.1.2, offering other languages and keyboard layouts, must have optional dictionaries and wouldn’t be using english spelling when a different language is in use. Unfortunately Spanish isn’t yet one of the languages offered.

Edit: would this help?

Posted: 10 November 2007 06:12 AM #9

[quote author=“carbonat”]By the way, As I feared, it was originally a pain to type in anything other than English: the auto-corrector kept changing words and making stupid suggestions. Words used a lot such as prepositions or articles were changed to similar spelling English words.

However as I use it more, and as I keep refusing the auto-corrections that it does, it seems that the iPhone stops to suggest anything that I previously have rejected, which is good, because it allows me to type in other languages with less disturbances.

However I think that Apple should have provided a way to deactivate completely the correction feature, which I did not find, so far.

Carbonat, congrats on the new iPhone. There are hacks for turning off the auto-correction feature . I have no idea if this bricks the phone or not so use at you own peril.

Mac

• Posted: 10 November 2007 11:47 AM #10

So is 2.5G EDGE a terrible drawback on the iPhone?  I just can’t imagine that everyone is going to be using Safari all the time for it to make a difference.  I guess there aren’t a lot of WiFi spots where you are.

Posted: 10 November 2007 12:50 PM #11

[quote author=“Constable Odo”]So is 2.5G EDGE a terrible drawback on the iPhone?  I just can’t imagine that everyone is going to be using Safari all the time for it to make a difference.  I guess there aren’t a lot of WiFi spots where you are.

CO,

I just came to the forums to post about this and found your post which introduces the subject.

Yes, EDGE or whatever is used in my area is awfully slow, I would say not usable. You are right, there aren’t WiFi spots in my area.

After unlocking and configuring the iPhone I went for a trip to research performance of the wireless network connections around my area. I already knew that there are no free WiFi spots, you find a lot but all belonging to private networks, so not accessible.

In my home wireless network the iPhone works seamlessly, and both Safary and Google maps run fast. However, going out to find how GSM works, or simply shutting down my home network, the iPhone becomes usable only as a phone. Nothing internet related is actually usable.

This contrasts sharply with my experience with my Nokia N70 which have 3G capabilities built in. I use the Nokia as an internet bridge to my MacBook through Bluetooth. The ubiquitous 3G network available everywhere is as quick as a basic DSL connection. Unlike the GSM network to which the iPhone talks.

Definitely, without changing the infrastructure, 3G capabilities are needed here if we want to use the internet dependent features of the iPhone. I have not the technical knowledge to know on what network generation the iPhone is running in my area, but I would say that it is not 2.5G for what the performance is. I either don’t know if is is easier for the telecoms to change the existing GSM spots (pre 3G) to run 2.5G or for Apple to offer a 3G enabled iPhone.

I have always advocated for the later because the infrastructure is already in place and running. It’s a Pitty the iPhone can not make use of it. I also decided not showing the iPhone to any friend unless I have WiFi access where I show it.

Posted: 10 November 2007 01:07 PM #12

[quote author=“carbonat”][Yes, EDGE or whatever is used in my area is awfully slow, I would say not usable. You are right, there aren’t WiFi spots in my area.

That’s because you’re probably not getting EDGE but GPRS, which is about 5x slower. A common misconception. Most unlocked iPhone buyers similarly do not received proper EDGE reception because many networks do not have optimised EDGE connectivity having leapfrogged straight from GPRS to 3G.
    Only iPhone partner networks guarantee EDGE connectivity. When you get true EDGE speeds, they’re not lightening fast, but really very useable, and about 3-4x the speed of dial-up. More than fast enough for regular use.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 10 November 2007 01:08 PM #13

I find Edge quite usable where I am.  I primarily use web pages designed for iPhone and other mobiles.  90% of what I need the internet for (stock quotes, Google Maps, sports scores, etc) is available with these and greatly increases the experience.

Many standard web pages not designed for mobiles are loaded with high-bandwidth-requiring junk like ads with animated GIFs.  Most of these are not suitable for the iPhone or any mobile device anyway.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 10 November 2007 01:11 PM #14

[quote author=“willrob”]What firmware does your phone have? I would think that 1.1.2, offering other languages and keyboard layouts, must have optional dictionaries and wouldn’t be using english spelling when a different language is in use. Unfortunately Spanish isn’t yet one of the languages offered.

Edit: would this help?

My IPhone came with 1.0 firmware (which surprised me) and I upgraded it to 1.1.1 . There are solutions to translate the menus to Spanish, but not the dictionaries as far as I know. My first language is not Spanish though, it is Catalan, which is talked by much fewer people. I don’t count on it being ever offered in the iPhone, because Mac OS X lacks support for it. I do only want to disable the auto-correction feature. Menus are fine in English, I also prefer English than Spanish, because I still resent the fact that I was obligatorily taught only in Spanish during Franco dictatorship. Fortunately, this is not the case anymore for my daughters.

Posted: 10 November 2007 01:14 PM #15

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“carbonat”][Yes, EDGE or whatever is used in my area is awfully slow, I would say not usable. You are right, there aren’t WiFi spots in my area.

That’s because you’re probably not getting EDGE but GPRS, which is about 5x slower. A common misconception. Most unlocked iPhone buyers similarly do not received proper EDGE reception because many networks do not have optimised EDGE connectivity having leapfrogged straight from GPRS to 3G.
    Only iPhone partner networks guarantee EDGE connectivity. When you get true EDGE speeds, they’re not lightening fast, but really very useable, and about 3-4x the speed of dial-up. More than fast enough for regular use.

Yes, I guess EDGE is not what my iPhone is using :cry: