Leopard Impressions…

• Posted: 27 October 2007 07:29 AM #16

Leopard is now up and running for me ... although things are not quite perfect.

- I have been able to copy my iTunes library back to an internal drive ... however, when I try to play a song from iTunes, a BSOD appears and now the drive will not mount ... these are new drives ... however, they have worked perfectly under Tiger for the past couple weeks.

- Since I had to wipe everything ... trying to sync my Contacts and Bookmarks from .mac does not seem to work ... when resetting the sync ... it says it is done ... but there are no changes to my machine.

So I now have a very basic system ... with no iTunes .... I am not a happy camper :(

Posted: 27 October 2007 07:45 AM #17

Loads of blue screens of death… I am now removing all haxies to see if this helps. Did a simple upgrade as always with OSXes….

Strange behaviour: Content of System Preferences pages does not fit into SPs window. Any other experience the same?

Othervise a marvelous experience :D

• Posted: 27 October 2007 08:15 AM #18

Re: Filemaker 9 NOT compatible with Leopard

[quote author=“MacB”]I have not yet bought Leopard: not at home and not at my Graph dep at work. reason?  Leopard is having difficulties with Filemaker 9!  We use later for our content management and deployment and I think it is a somewhat ridiculous thing that Filemaker is 9 is NOT compatible at this moment…. hope fix or update comes quick.

Cheers,

MacB

Filemaker issues are with language support - if you are running it with US English it works fine.

Signature

Posted: 27 October 2007 09:16 AM #19

Yep, as usual, that POS “hack” Application Enhancer seems to be responsible for the majority of these problems. Apple hates it, absolutely hates it, and its the number one cause of system instability problems apparently.

Apple have been known to go as far as telling some users that unless they remove Application Enhancer (APE) they won’t offer support because its known to cause so many problems.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 October 2007 09:56 AM #20

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”]Yep, as usual, that POS “hack” Application Enhancer seems to be responsible for the majority of these problems. Apple hates it, absolutely hates it, and its the number one cause of system instability problems apparently.

Apple have been known to go as far as telling some users that unless they remove Application Enhancer (APE) they won’t offer support because its known to cause so many problems.

And if you happen to have a Logitech keyboard or mouse and use Logitech Control Center, then that installs APE (Shame on you, Logitech!).

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 27 October 2007 10:14 AM #21

[quote author=“wheeles”][quote author=“Tommo_UK”]Yep, as usual, that POS “hack” Application Enhancer seems to be responsible for the majority of these problems. Apple hates it, absolutely hates it, and its the number one cause of system instability problems apparently.

And if you happen to have a Logitech keyboard or mouse and use Logitech Control Center, then that installs APE (Shame on you, Logitech!).

I do! I loathe LCC, but I do love my Logitech mouse. I actually do have APE running under Leopard (which LCC needs) and had no problems upgrading, but its probably hit or miss.
    Logitech are a disgrace when it comes to software support for OS X. Fortunately they did just release a new version of LCC which solves many of the problems with Leopard compatibility, but it still requires APE to work (which Unsanity’s own web site states is NOT Leopard compatible).

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 October 2007 10:27 AM #22

..oh thanks T for that info. I will grab the new LCC driver right away.

And I agree with you, Logitech has marvelous hardware and absolutely disgracefull software :evil:

• Posted: 27 October 2007 11:45 AM #23

Zero problems here; upgrade install with no problems (had to do archive and install with Tiger). But I don’t use APE. Existing problems with Quicktime went away.

• Posted: 27 October 2007 11:56 AM #24

I just purchased a 24’’ imac to replace my old 20’‘.  I’m giving the 20 to the parents, they have a 4 year old dell and know of nothing else.  I set up leopard on the two computers side by side at my house to see how ichat works for the parents.
    I know this can be done somehow on windows, but the ichat is so simply parent/childproof.  You click on ask to share screen, they simply accept and you have their entire screen. Everything.  Looking at these two work side by side on my desk simply amazes me.  I can do everything on my parents computer now as I talk to them from somewhere else.  I can also send them files, photos, etc through ichat.

The number of macs under the tree from children to their parents will be huge this Christmas.  There will be a flow of macs from children who own macs to their parents.  Simply Brilliant.

Signature

learn, unlearn, and relearn

Posted: 27 October 2007 12:16 PM #25

[quote author=“climbforever”]..oh thanks T for that info. I will grab the new LCC driver right away.

And I agree with you, Logitech has marvelous hardware and absolutely disgracefull software :evil:

I upgraded to LCC 2.3.1 (I think that was the latest one) and most of the media keys and customisable ones stopped working on my Logitech Elite keyboard. I ended up rolling back to LCC 2.1.1 which seemed to work fine with my Elite keyboard and Trackman trackball. I just hope that things will be OK with Leopard,  as I can’t function without my trackball. I have a Mighty Mouse, but think it blows.

For ages I avoided APE like the plague and was so pissed when I found LCC had installed it. Why the hell can’t Logitech hire some decent Mac developers?

Oh, and while I’m having a go at Logitech, why can’t they produce a damn Trackman trackball that ISN’T wireless? I had to get a load of rechargeable batteries and charger just to keep my trackball working. What’s wrong with a wire? It’s not as if you move a trackball unit around. It stays in one place on the desk. The whole notion of a wireless trackball is retarded. It’s a shame Logitech have few decent competitors in this space.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 27 October 2007 12:20 PM #26

Macally are the best third party mice, IMO.  :wink:

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 27 October 2007 01:17 PM #27

No problems to report since upgrading last night. I was briefly mesmerized by the box, but soon recovered when my cat coughed up a fur ball.

I like that font file icons show the font itself (more precisely the letters Ag). I’m still waiting for Letterbox to be updated for Leopard, but other than that all my apps work.

Gizmodo has some tips on non-obvious features .

• Posted: 27 October 2007 01:39 PM #28

[quote author=“climbforever”]..oh thanks T for that info. I will grab the new LCC driver right away.

After lots of trouble with LCC for my logitech mouse, I switched to Steermouse, which works just fine.
    :oh:

Signature

It’s better to miss the boat than to sail on a ship that sinks

Posted: 27 October 2007 02:49 PM #29

[quote author=“Intrepid”][quote author=“climbforever”]..oh thanks T for that info. I will grab the new LCC driver right away.

After lots of trouble with LCC for my logitech mouse, I switched to Steermouse, which works just fine.
    :oh:

I’d ever heard of Steermouse - thanks for the heads-up; trying it now! Finally I can get rid of APE :eg:

Signature

• Posted: 27 October 2007 03:13 PM #30

Installed fine (archive and install) on my macbook pro.  I had a quick kernel panic when I first started mail but now everything seems pretty stable.  I like all the new eye candy. Still finding my way around, but seems to be a solid release so far.  Kudos AAPL!