web hosting recommendations

Posted: 03 November 2007 09:01 AM

+

After a diasterous server crash with my current hosting provider (Hostway), I am in the market for a new web hosting service. My #1 criteria is reliability, #2 is customer service in the event of downtime, and #3 is a repeat of #1 and #2. Thoughts from webmasters here on TMO?

[ Edited: 15 June 2011 08:59 AM by Intruder ]

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 03 November 2007 02:59 PM #1

Webhosting

[quote author=“mrmgraphics”]+

After a diasterous server crash with my current hosting provider (Hostway), I am in the market for a new web hosting service. My #1 criteria is reliability, #2 is customer service in the event of downtime, and #3 is a repeat of #1 and #2. Thoughts from webmasters here on TMO?

I have several sites, mine and clients, at NetHere.net . Almost never an outage, and they respond very rapidly to tech questions. They are a local company to me and that was a factor when I was shopping around. Prices are comparable to other hosts with same features.

I have one client at GoDaddy, and it seems reliable enough and tech support is okay. However, by the time you start adding up features other than basic hosting your up to the cost of hosts that offer bundles. My client choose GoDaddy because of the price, but then when she wanted me to implement formmail it was an extra monthly cost and she declined.

For one client I am looking into switching hosting through Costco. $15 a month for 150 GB of storage, 5000 GB of data transfer and 200 email accounts. You do have to have a Costco account, which I do.

Where are you at in Pennsylvania? I grew up near Harrisburg.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 03 November 2007 08:29 PM #2

+

I’m in the northern suburbs of Pittsburgh, maybe an hour NNE from the center of the city and Point Park.

I also bit the bullet earlier today and switched to a new hosting provider: InMotion Hosting , after reading consistently good reviews. Their plans seem very reasonable, and I couldn’t find too many negatives written about them. So here’s hoping.

I’ll post a follow-up after I have a chance to kick the tires a bit.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 22 December 2007 10:49 AM #3

I’m sure this is old news for you, but I’d give my recommends for GoDaddy. I’ve been through a handful of other low-cost web hosts, who all have had rank customer service and a significant amount of downtime (in spite of guaranteeing 99% uptime).

GoDaddy has yet to disappoint me, and there customer service is excellent. Good service for a few bucks a month. The only (somewhat) downside is that you only get basic email service: 10mb of storage, before your senders get a “inbox is full” bounce back message. So you will either have to frequently delete email off the servers, or opt for something free and plentiful, like a gmail account.

Posted: 22 December 2007 01:58 PM #4

GoDaddy

[quote author=“xmattingly”]I’m sure this is old news for you, but I’d give my recommends for GoDaddy. I’ve been through a handful of other low-cost web hosts, who all have had rank customer service and a significant amount of downtime (in spite of guaranteeing 99% uptime).

GoDaddy has yet to disappoint me, and there customer service is excellent. Good service for a few bucks a month. The only (somewhat) downside is that you only get basic email service: 10mb of storage, before your senders get a “inbox is full” bounce back message. So you will either have to frequently delete email off the servers, or opt for something free and plentiful, like a gmail account.

Well that is the thing with GoDaddy, the hosting is inexpensive at the expense of extra features. For a few dollars more at other hosts you can get a lot page and email space. I checked out InMotion the place that mrmgraphics mentioned and I liked the prices and features.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 22 December 2007 02:27 PM #5

Re: GoDaddy

[quote author=“Sir Harry Flashman”]Well that is the thing with GoDaddy, the hosting is inexpensive at the expense of extra features. For a few dollars more at other hosts you can get a lot page and email space. I checked out InMotion the place that mrmgraphics mentioned and I liked the prices and features.

Yes, but GoDaddy is up front about the amount of email storage you get with your plan; those two other guys aren’t. Besides, for the price of a storage upgrade, the GoDaddy plans are still competitive with other hosts.

Other features vary pretty wildly from one host to another, so it definitely doesn’t hurt to compare and pick one based on what’s most important to you. If storage is most important, then InMotion seems like a pretty sweet deal. 600gb?! Wow!

• Posted: 22 December 2007 03:55 PM #6

I use Linode and have been very happy with it. They do virtual private servers so it’s as if you had a whole computer dedicated. You have root on the Linux distro of your choice and can install whatever third-party software you choose. http://www.linode.com/

Posted: 22 December 2007 05:14 PM #7

[quote author=“David Nelson”]I use Linode and have been very happy with it. They do virtual private servers so it’s as if you had a whole computer dedicated.

It’s not for me, but that definitely looks like one of the best deals I’ve seen for dedicated hosting.

Posted: 22 December 2007 07:13 PM #8

Verve.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 10 July 2010 10:00 AM #9

I think sometimes this question is taken too lightly.  There are several important factors to consider before making your decision besides the obvious in selecting a web hosting company. What is the level of customer service provided? How easy is it to change to another web hosting company? What is your commitment in terms of time and is there an auto renewal clause? And then there is price, value and freebies. Do a little research and good luck!

• Posted: 13 August 2010 09:41 AM #10

Choose based hosting Xen VPS. Make sure you have 512 MB of RAM and 10GB of disk space by using RAID 10. Use a web server lighttpd or nginx will help. I do not recommend using your DSL connection, most ISPs do not like this kind of thing and they can block you. A static IPS is good for the web server and mail server.

Signature

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

• Posted: 21 May 2011 03:27 PM #11

I use RageSW to host our Yearbook Unlimited account. Used it because they are iWeb friendly, and that is the program I am most familiar with.

Signature

My Macs: MacbookPro, MacPro  
    My Sites:
    Apple-inspired Tees ~~~ Yearbook QR Codes ~~~ Yearbook Unlimited

• Posted: 08 June 2011 03:44 PM #12

Generally I use RageSW