Making the screen black…making the site easy on the eyes

• Posted: 03 December 2007 04:46 AM

Hello…great website!!!

I just got an Imac and love it.  Just wondering if there was a way to make the site reverse colors so that the background is dark and the text is light…

I live like an owl so the bright screen (i’ve turned the brightness all the way down) kind of hurts my eyes…I used to just adjust my old screen until it was dim enough…

Just a suggestion…I use the finance forumn a lot so I’m staring at a lot of bright white space a lot…

Thanks…and again great website…

Posted: 03 December 2007 04:51 AM #1

System Preferences>Universal Access>Seeing>Display>White on Black

There is a command sequence that will toggle this setup.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 03 December 2007 09:29 AM #2

Yes indeed; this is odd at first but very good at night; I use it a lot. You can use the following keys together to turn it on and off also:

Control+Option (alt)+Command (apple) and 8 (the number 8 key)

There is also an application which gives you a little more control called Nocturne from Blacktree (developers of the infamous QuickSilver ).

Signature

-Matt Cox / Mac Technician / Matt on Twitter

• Posted: 04 December 2007 07:55 AM #3

tried out nocturne…seems great…thanks!!!

Posted: 06 December 2007 07:57 AM #4

Another solution:

How to change websites to White Text on Black Background in your Browser

There’s a javascript bookmarklet on there called Darken.  You can drag it to your bookmark bar.  Clicking the bookmark will turn the current page to white text on a black background.

I tested this on Safari 3 and Firefox 2

You can also permanently set sites to white text on a black background if you have Firefox and Greasemonkey.  There are instructions there on that page on how to do this.