Palm OS software

• Posted: 01 July 2001 09:19 AM

As the proud owner of a new Handspring Visor, I would love to hear your recommendations for software to use on it (or for the Mac, to use with it.)  It can be fun or useful, or both: any type of program you want to recommend would be great.
    Thanks!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-15 14:02 ]</font>

• Posted: 15 June 2001 07:59 PM #1

There are no good software programs.

None.

At all.

So you would be better off just boxing that little guy up and sending it off to me to get it off your hands.  Otherwise you will become frustrated.

Yeah, that’s it.

Signature

You better eat him Mitch…before I do.

• Posted: 15 June 2001 10:08 PM #2

Thanks but no thanks.    Anyone else?

But I’ll reply to my own question by saying I tried out AvantGo today and it’s pretty nice.  Recommendations for AvantGo channels would be acceptable too if it’ll get this thread going.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-16 01:09 ]</font>

• Posted: 15 June 2001 10:10 PM #3

...and yes, I did get the Mac Observer channel installed.

Posted: 16 June 2001 12:23 AM #4

David,

This is what I have installed on my Palm:

OK Install
    OK To Do List
    OK Memo Pad
    OK Date Book
    OK Address Book
    OK ExpenseDB.pdb
      Backed up LauncherDB.pdb
      Backed up MailDB.pdb
      Backed up ConnectionDB.pdb
      Backed up NetworkDB.pdb
      Backed up SolitaireFreeData.pdb
      Backed up FroggyDB.prc
      Backed up GalaxDB.prc
      Backed up OmniRemote.pdb
      Backed up AfterBurner Hack.prc
      Backed up Battery Level Hack.prc
    Backed up FindHack.prc
      Backed up Eco Hack.prc
      Backed up ScreenWrite.prc
      Backed up SwitchHack.prc
      Backed up TrekSoundsHack.prc
      Backed up MenuHack HACK.prc
      Backed up Giraffe High Score.prc
    Backed up Benchmark.prc
      Backed up FPSUtil4.prc
      Backed up Giraffe.prc
      Backed up HardBall.prc
      Backed up IrMonitor.prc
      Backed up Mirror.prc
      Backed up Froggy.prc
      Backed up Galax.prc
      Backed up Parens Lite.prc
      Backed up LaunchEm2.prc
      Backed up SubHunt.prc
      Backed up Trek.prc
      Backed up Yoda.prc
      Backed up HackMaster.prc
      Backed up GraffitiDemo.prc
      Backed up MineHunt.prc
      Backed up Remote.prc
      Backed up PocketChess.prc
      Backed up Eco Config.prc
      Backed up Puzzle.prc
      Backed up SolFree.prc
      Backed up CitiesDB.pdb
      Backed up MathLib.prc
      Backed up Graffiti ShortCuts .prc   Backed up BF ToDo Plug.prc
      Backed up System MIDI Sounds.pdb
    Backed up Saved Preferences.prc  
    Backed up VendorsDB.pdb

John F. Braun is a Palm fiend, and he has turned me on to some very cool Palm software.  YO JOHN!  GET IN HERE!

Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in their success, but in the way they achieved and maintain that success.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2001-06-16 03:27 ]</font>

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:20 PM #5

Hey, bryan—you do know that you are supposed to put phone numbers and stuff in there, right? With all that stuff, do you have any room? Seriously, though, that sounds like a cool setup.

I have the most important thing on my palm—I have the entire episode guide to Seinfeld, complete with airdates and descriptions. Tres chic.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:23 PM #6

Ha, ha. That’s great, how much space does your episode guide take up?

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:29 PM #7

Howdy, David:

Well, let me look. I don’t know.

I can’t tell. It’s part of a database program and I can only see the size of the whole program. that is 619k, but I have lots of stuff like airport codes, area codes, etc, etc.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 26 June 2001 02:58 PM #8

Which Palm unit do you like?  Are the new ones good?

Signature

Windows sucks.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 04:29 PM #9

As with any technology, there will always be something better tomorrow. I’m angry that now they have them with removable and expandable memory. Mine is just 8 MB. But truth be told, I can’t imagine ever using all that up, so I’m not too worried. But it’s just the principal of the whole thing. I know two people with handspring visors and they love them!

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 28 June 2001 02:46 PM #10

I’m desperately trying to get my Palm to sync with my Mac. I’m running Palm (VII) w/ OS 2.6.3; iMac 500 with all the trimmings and OSX/Classic.

Hot sync worked fine even with the serial to USB cable running 9.0 but will not run in Classic or on my older Mac (iMac 266) with 9.1. It looks like it is ready to sync and then says it lost the conneciton.  I’ve dumped all the old Palm files (I don’t have the uninstall CD) and installed 2.6.3 and booted with only Mac extensions on to no avail.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc Hamilton
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

• Posted: 28 June 2001 05:52 PM #11

Marc: Hot syncing a palm is like being forced to eat liver. You make funny faces while you do it, and you thank God when it’s over.

I read somewhere recently—though I can’t remember—that hot syncing is not supported by Classic. I do not use OSX (yet) so I can’t tell you my experiences, although synching with 9.04 is a challenge half of the time in itself. I think for now you are just going to have to reboot in 9.1 if that’s what’s worked for you before.

Sorry. Unless someone else knows something I don’t.

Scott

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA

• Posted: 29 June 2001 07:41 AM #12

AvantGo is nice.  Also try Vindigo.  Mapopolis is cool at first, but I found it to be fairly useless in reality.  Maybe they’ve improved it though.  IRPrint is cool.  You can print directly to an IR printer.

As far as hardware, I’d like a Visor Prism for my next one, I think.  Or maybe the m505…

Signature

———————————-
    Scott Genevish
    http://www.genevish.org
    ———————————-

• Posted: 29 June 2001 09:11 AM #13

On 2001-06-28 17:46, marchamilton wrote:
    I’m desperately trying to get my Palm to sync with my Mac. I’m running Palm (VII) w/ OS 2.6.3; iMac 500 with all the trimmings and OSX/Classic.

Hot sync worked fine even with the serial to USB cable running 9.0 but will not run in Classic or on my older Mac (iMac 266) with 9.1. It looks like it is ready to sync and then says it lost the conneciton.  I’ve dumped all the old Palm files (I don’t have the uninstall CD) and installed 2.6.3 and booted with only Mac extensions on to no avail.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Marc Hamilton
    .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Marc,
    What USB>SERIAL cable are you using?  I use a Keyspan PDA Adapter and discovered that when the PALM USB CONNECT software is enabled it conflicts with the Keyspan driver causing similar errors to what you described.  Simply disabling the Palm drivers in the Extensions Manager seemed to clear up the problem.
    I don’t know if this will assist, but thought I’d give it a try.

Signature

A man who finds himself in an empty room…
    is alone. - DL

• Posted: 01 July 2001 09:01 AM #14

The best Palm OS software I have found is Stand Alone’s “Crossword Puzzles for Palm OS.”  The conduit gets 2 puzzles a day off the www someplace, and adds them to the library on my Visor every time I sync.  The puzzles aren’t quite NYTimes-quality, but most are challenging and almost all are completely solvable.  I always have something reasonably intellectual to do in waiting rooms and during spare moments.

• Posted: 01 July 2001 09:19 AM #15

Documents to Go: allows you to download Word and Excel docs onto your Palm (or my Visor Prism). AND you can edit them.

Vindigo: you select your city and sync, which gives you movie show times and review, restaurants, etc.

Quo Vadis: it comes with the Magellan GPS module. What’s that? You don’t have a Handspring? Well, nevermind.

Action Names: it replaces your address book and calendar programs. Check it out. I use this more than any other app.

AreaCodes: self explanatory

Astroids: Palm version of Asteroids arcade game.

ChessGenius: chess game

Galax: handheld version of Glaga arcade game

HackMaster. Allows you to hack the Palm OS. I use it to incorporate Star Trek sounds.

PalmaSutra: palm version of the Kama Sutra.

C’est tout!

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...