Ripping encrypted commercial DVD's

• Posted: 02 January 2008 04:21 PM

I want to make back-ups of my own DVD’s because with kids around, they get scratched or lost.  Encrypted DVD’s won’t work with MacTheRipper.

Any commercial ripping software that works?
    I am tired of throwing away money to restock my DVD collection after the originals go south.javascriptemoticon(‘apple’)

• Posted: 04 January 2008 10:04 AM #1

What do you mean by “encrypted.” Aren’t all commercial DVDs encrypted besides the ones you made at home in iDVD?

• Posted: 04 January 2008 01:25 PM #2

There is ‘encrypted’DVD’s and there are ones which have purposely bad sectors which screw up Cinematize etc.

• Posted: 04 January 2008 04:24 PM #3

Ah, that’s news to me—and quite annoying. While I have not yet ripped my DVD collection, I can see eventually wanting to do it just like I did with my CDs in iTunes.

Posted: 04 January 2008 06:10 PM #4

One of the latest methods is to insert blank cells. The beta version of MTR is supposed to handle this.

Read this thread for some suggestions.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 07 January 2008 04:47 AM #5

The thread that Intruder provided works.  I encourage everyone to read his “thread”.  The empty cells get eliminated and the ripping works.

• Posted: 14 June 2008 01:54 PM #6

Try Handbrake, if you don’t necessarily want the file to return to a DVD format, but rather just want the Feature Presentation as a QuickTime file.

Signature

My Macs: MacbookPro, MacPro  
    My Sites:
    Apple-inspired Tees ~~~ Yearbook QR Codes ~~~ Yearbook Unlimited

Posted: 18 June 2008 05:31 AM #7

Netfilx DVD not mounting

Had a big issue the other night with a DVD from Netflix “The Golden Compass”
    refusing to mount on my G5’s desktop. The drive was spinning but it would not mount,  could not eject it as nothing not even disk utility could see it.

Also disk utility seemed to affected by not being able to read the disk and eventually stopped responding.
    Was forced to shut down and execute the old paperclip in the hole method.

Was not happy…....

Seemed like some weird encoding was preventing it being read by the Apple drive…

Signature

Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company…

• Posted: 27 September 2008 11:32 PM #8

Re: Netfilx DVD not mounting

[quote author=“aaplcrazie”]Had a big issue the other night with a DVD from Netflix “The Golden Compass”
    refusing to mount on my G5’s desktop. The drive was spinning but it would not mount,  could not eject it as nothing not even disk utility could see it.

Also disk utility seemed to affected by not being able to read the disk and eventually stopped responding.

Was not happy…....

Seemed like some weird encoding was preventing it being read by the Apple drive…

Yeah, or it was dirty or scratched or somehow corrupt.

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

• Posted: 01 October 2008 08:13 AM #9

I had good luck using Handbrake to get Band of Brothers onto my MacBook for a plane trip.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 17 December 2008 04:20 PM #10

readily available versions of MacTheRipper (2.6.6) do not cover the new CSS and Blank Cell issues of DVDs within the past few years.

Having a copy of the latest (and a few revisions before) MTR helps immensely. If you go to their website and donate you can get latest testing versions.

DTOX (DVD2One) is great to have on hand as well. It takes care of the empty cells from Sony, Disney, and a few other studios DVDs.

I am not condoning piracy by any means (and last I checked that is forbidden here) but as I understand it you can make one backup copy.

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 06 January 2009 01:15 PM #11

aaplcrazie - 18 June 2008 08:31 AM

Netfilx DVD not mounting

Had a big issue the other night with a DVD from Netflix “The Golden Compass”

Was not happy…....

I’m not an advanced user, but I have run into this problem before. I went to my CD/DVD preferences,
    and instructed the insertion of any DVD to “Open Finder”, or “Ask Me”. If I told it to “Ask Me”, when a DVD is put in, the question put to me onscreen, “What do you want to do?”, I would let open in finder. That would show the disc on the desktop. Then you could drop it on any application that you would choose to use.