On my way to see "Planet of the Apes"

• Posted: 12 August 2001 05:42 AM

Today’s newspaper gave it excellent reviews (3 1/2 stars out of 4). Here goes….

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 27 July 2001 08:18 PM #1

A movie where apes evolved from men?!?! They did it! They finally did it! Damn them! Damn them all to hell!

Oh, sorry, I channeling Charlton Heston through the Northwestern sweatshirt next to my Civil War-era Henry rifle.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 27 July 2001 08:38 PM #2

Actually, they used that Heston line in the middle of the movie, verbatim

Spoiler: as for the ending. I hated it. It so contrived; it was a shameless set up for a sequel(s).

It was a very interesting twist on the 1968 original (btw, the producer of this movie also produced the original).

But it did leave me wondering about the ending, but I will save it until others have watched it…

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 28 July 2001 03:05 PM #3

I heard that the director, Tim Burton, was forced by his contract to leave some kind of opening for a sequel.  This Planet of the Apes movie was not made to be a remake of the original, but was totally reimagined by the director.  I’ve heard rave reviews about the movie, and I am gonna see it soon (I hope).

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 30 July 2001 10:43 AM #4

On some dusty hard drive, I’ve a sound file where the speeds had been fudged so that Charlton Heston and Homer Simpson say “Damn them! Damn them all to hell!” in unison. 

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 02 August 2001 12:32 PM #5

Semi-off-topic: Who has seen Jurrasic Park 3?  Is it any good?

• Posted: 02 August 2001 10:15 PM #6

I have seen it (Jurassic Park 3), and it is awful.  Way too many things go unexplained (besides the obvious “creation” of dinos).  I could point out all of its shortcomings, but you’d have to have seen it first.

• Posted: 02 August 2001 11:59 PM #7

I went and saw it today… it wasn’t great but I don’t think it was horrible either.  You are right about some things being left unexplained.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-08-03 02:59 ]</font>

Posted: 07 August 2001 01:28 AM #8

Caught the ape movie on Sunday. I was expecting just your typical summer popcorn-movie fare (a genre I personally look forward to every year) so I was pleasantly surprised. Very entertaining with outstanding makeup effects (and I even enjoyed the ending with its blatant sequel setup—but what fun possibilities for that sequel! )

Of course the viewing itself just reinforced my desire to have a dedicated movie room when it comes time to build a house.

Really, how tough is it to turn your cell phone off in the theater? I carry one constantly and it’s just reflex (and why, when one rings, it’s always set to the dorkiest musical ring possible?)

And hard as it is to believe, this was the first time I’ve run into someone using a laser pointer during the movie (but then, after the third incident, it was also the first time I had to yell at someone to knock it off, too )

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 07 August 2001 08:34 AM #9

I saw Planet of the Apes last week at the Uptown movie theater in D.C. (For those who’ve never been, it’s one of the best theaters on the east coast. It’s a movie palace that seats over 800 people. Fantastic!)

The movie was really fun. I saw it in good company in an awesome theater, so I enjoyed it. But it is, fundamentally, retarded. As I said to my friend afterward, “I feel like I should have a lot to say about that movie; I just don’t.” And what the hell was up with that ending?

Still, I’m glad I saw it. After all, how can you argue with hot women (some made up to be hairy and funny-lookin’) and Mark Wahlberg (sp?) beating around apes with super-powers?

btw, Rodney, that was Charlie H. himself (made up as an ape) delivering his line from the original. Ah, the irony!

Signature

—Ricky Spero
    Anchor, The Apple Weekly Report
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 07 August 2001 11:54 PM #10

I too thought that Planet of the Apes was good. I went and saw it today.  I agree that the ending was blatantly setting up a place for a sequel to start, but that’s okay because I wouldn’t mind seeing another one.

• Posted: 12 August 2001 05:42 AM #11

I just saw it last night.  I hated it.  I thought it was funny because I was often laughing about how stupid it was.  Well actually I didn’t mind that it was stupid but rather that it was so predictable through and through.  I guess I shouldn’t have expected to go and see a Planet of the Apes “sequel” and have it not be stupid or predictable.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.