New MacPro's and XServes BEFORE MW: what do you think???

• Posted: 08 January 2008 06:46 AM

Hi ladies and gents….
    I am very pleased because I was waiting for the “new coming” of this great line-up: specs rock and price rocks even more. I think I will order a new lean mean dream Machine within a month or 2 from now. All great and well but what baffles me: WHY NOW?  The only thing I can think of is that Steve has something great upon his sleeve, question remains WHAT?
    The lack of new displays makes me wonder… could it just be that we see a new tandem of even trio: 
    1. New Apple TV with or without BR.
    2. New Displays with native HD resolution (would it be possible to have a new display with build-in Apple TV?)
    3. New video rental in iTunes Store.

One more thing will be the new notebook….

Just my thoughts….  what about yours?

MacB

• Posted: 08 January 2008 07:21 AM #1

The Penryn roll out for the server and Mac Pro coincides with Intel’s CES release of their new line of chips. While the Mac Pro line is very important to Apple’s footing in the professional DTP and Video communities, MacWorld tends to focus on broader consumer products. Last summer before the WWDC, Apple rolled out the Octo-Core Mac Pros for the first time, saving the conference for Leopard. Next week we will see what Jobs was saving his time for.

• Posted: 08 January 2008 07:29 AM #2

The sooner the product is released, the sooner it sells. smile

The keynote is limited in time and is designed for mass appeal. I’m glad Apple is out early with the new Mac Pros. The line has needed a refresh.

Posted: 08 January 2008 07:32 AM #3

Steve had plenty to fill the keynote with already, so didn’t need his plan B of Mac Pros and XServes. I remember last year when a few products were spec bumped ahead of Mac World.

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 08 January 2008 07:47 AM #4

[quote author=“wheeles”]Steve had plenty to fill the keynote with already, so didn’t need his plan B of Mac Pros and XServes. I remember last year when a few products were spec bumped ahead of Mac World.

Although he’s announced the new Mac Pro and XServe, I hear he’s keeping back the announcement of the $100 leather iPhone case just in case he needs a last-minute time-filler :D

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 08 January 2008 07:58 AM #5

Ship time is 3-5 weeks on the new Mac Pros, so there is little doubt in my mind that the announcement was in part to get tower and server announcements out of the way before MacWorld.

If hardware is going to be a focus at MW, I presume it will be aTV2/media Mac, plus an ultra-slim notebook. Movie downloads/rentals will probably be the order of the day.

The gap between the iMac and the towers did not get any smaller today, so room exists for a Mac midi. One can hope, anyway, although I fully expect to order the quad-core tower after the keynote.

My shopping cart is already saved :wink:

• Posted: 08 January 2008 08:39 AM #6

i wouldn’t rule out blu-ray quite yet, one could assume that it would be a bto option, this would make the 3-4wk delivery time seem more reasonable.

• Posted: 08 January 2008 09:38 AM #7

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“wheeles”]Steve had plenty to fill the keynote with already, so didn’t need his plan B of Mac Pros and XServes. I remember last year when a few products were spec bumped ahead of Mac World.

Although he’s announced the new Mac Pro and XServe, I hear he’s keeping back the announcement of the $100 leather iPhone case just in case he needs a last-minute time-filler :D

LOL

I’m cynical..I think its so Steve can spend the full time talking about how great the iPhone SDK is, or something mundane like that. Be cautious. wink

• Posted: 09 January 2008 01:43 AM #8

Don’t forget that notebooks outsell towers now, so it’s actually no surprise this announcement came before MacWorld. It leaves more time to talk about updated MacBooks / Pros and whatever else they have up their sleeves.

• Posted: 09 January 2008 01:50 AM #9

[quote author=“Actual Reality”]i wouldn’t rule out blu-ray quite yet, one could assume that it would be a bto option, this would make the 3-4wk delivery time seem more reasonable.

Apple has now the opportunity to make blu-ray the winner. And will probably act accordingly even if its long term perspective is all internet.

• Posted: 09 January 2008 02:54 AM #10

With this rumor about that Fox DVD movie-file which requires iTunes 7.6 I think my prediction is not too far fetched…
    My predicted trio will also include iTunes 7.6.

MacB

added: mmmmm, maybe Apple TV with BR player???

• Posted: 09 January 2008 06:08 AM #11

Paramount has also abandoned HDVD in favor of Blu-Ray. There are third party solution for Blu-Ray in a Mac Pro, but Apple needs to provide drivers and update DVD Studio Pro or some similar app to create the discs. Video enthusiasts will want to do more than simply use Blue-Ray as a back up medium.

• Posted: 09 January 2008 06:14 AM #12

[quote author=“willrob”]Paramount has also abandoned HDVD in favor of Blu-Ray. There are third party solution for Blu-Ray in a Mac Pro, but Apple needs to provide drivers and update DVD Studio Pro or some similar app to create the discs. Video enthusiasts will want to do more than simply use Blue-Ray as a back up medium.

So maybe we will se updates all over the place to incorporate Blue-Ray into Apple products. Maybe Apple informed the studios and they already reacted to it.
    Interesting…

Posted: 09 January 2008 05:12 PM #13

DT, last week we were discussing HD downloading. Yesterday I read in USA today that Comcast is going to boost their internet speed to 160mbs. This would make the download time 3min 56sec. not to bad.  The focus was on HD and rentals, very promising. This also shows that the competition will be huge.  :apple:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 09 January 2008 06:50 PM #14

[quote author=“mbeauch”]DT, last week we were discussing HD downloading. Yesterday I read in USA today that Comcast is going to boost their internet speed to 160mbs. This would make the download time 3min 56sec. not to bad.  The focus was on HD and rentals, very promising. This also shows that the competition will be huge.  :apple:

I see broadband becoming as common as electricity and I don’t see current capacity issues as more than a minor annoyance. There’s enough technology already available to build this business. If it gets consumers clamoring now for better and cheaper service, so be it. smile

There needs to be HD options to build this business right from the start.

• Posted: 09 January 2008 07:19 PM #15

[quote author=“willrob”]Paramount has also abandoned HDVD in favor of Blu-Ray. There are third party solution for Blu-Ray in a Mac Pro, but Apple needs to provide drivers and update DVD Studio Pro or some similar app to create the discs. Video enthusiasts will want to do more than simply use Blue-Ray as a back up medium.

Now Paramount is saying that they have not yet decided to abandon HD-DVD. Apparently their contract with Toshiba allows to them back out if Warner Bros backs out (which they did). But so far Paramount is not making any firm move. Ultimately we may find that delivery of digital content won’t have anything to do with discs.