CES 2008: A Case Of Apple Envy?

• Posted: 09 January 2008 07:15 PM

Interesting close up of the CES show at Macworld Magazine can be found Here

What a difference Apple’s success makes at CES

There was a time not so long ago at the Consumer Electronics Show when a writer from a Mac publication was, at best, met with blank stares when approaching vendors about their wares. Just as often, Mac writers found themselves on the receiving end of dismissive remarks about the viability of the Mac platform.

Consider just a few of the unusual reactions my colleague Dan Moren and I have noticed as we’ve been speaking with CES vendors in Las Vegas this week:

Excitement about seeing Mac media:
    Macworld staff didn’t have a problem getting companies to talk to us in the past, but often we were Just Another Random Media Person. This year, many vendors have greeted us with comments to the effect of, “We’re so glad you stopped by!

Excitement about next week:
    Here we are at the world’s largest event focusing on consumer electronics, where vendors are trying to get positive coverage for their products, and many of those vendors have been leading off our conversations by asking us about Macworld Expo and our predictions for new gear from Apple. Beleaguered Apple, indeed.

Apologies for not having a Mac version:
    Yes, I said apologies. More than ever before, vendors hawking computer-related products—whether actual software or just hardware requiring some sort of software driver or interface—have Mac versions of that software. In fact, we’ve been surprised by how many booth demos we’ve seen being done on Macs and Mac OS X. But even more surprising has been the responses from vendors who don’t have Mac software—more than a few have actually expressed their regret and, of those, many noted their plans to develop Mac versions.

Of course, these changes haven’t happened overnight; rather, they’ve come gradually as Apple’s fortunes have continually edged upwards. But the reactions CES vendors have towards Mac journalists reflect opinions of the Mac market as a whole, and this year’s CES is showing me that more companies than ever before are taking Apple, Mac users, and the purchasing power of Mac owners seriously.

Signature

Posted: 09 January 2008 07:55 PM #1

Great news for the platform.
    I hope Apple takes the bull by the horn and becomes very active courting developers.

Developers, Developers, Developers!

Posted: 10 January 2008 02:31 AM #2

This says it all:

“Many industry analysts see the polished message of Macworld as a welcome relief from the chaos of CES and its familiar parade of ever-larger televisions, sharper video cameras and slimmer cell phones,” Hillis reports.

“‘Apple didn’t need to take thunder from CES, there was nothing to take,’ Michael Gartenberg, an analyst with Jupiter Research, wrote on the company’s blog.”

:apple:

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 10 January 2008 05:36 AM #3

The blah at CES will help amplify MacWorld.

Apple has managed to combine a substantial technological advantage with the human part of the equation.

Nobody. Else. Gets it.

• Posted: 10 January 2008 05:58 AM #4

Just out of interest… Wonder why they moved Macworld this year? Last year it was up against CES and blew CES out of the water. This year it’s a week late - it normally happens around my birthday - I wonder if there was pressure from CES to move it because of the iPhone swamping all their press coverage last year?

Signature

Posted: 10 January 2008 06:07 AM #5

[quote author=“rattyuk”]Just out of interest… Wonder why they moved Macworld this year? Last year it was up against CES and blew CES out of the water. This year it’s a week late - it normally happens around my birthday - I wonder if there was pressure from CES to move it because of the iPhone swamping all their press coverage last year?

It is more likely that next week is the only time they could book the convention center.

d

• Posted: 10 January 2008 06:14 AM #6

“Many industry analysts see the polished message of Macworld as a welcome relief from the chaos of CES and its familiar parade of ever-larger televisions, sharper video cameras and slimmer cell phones,” Hillis reports.

I agree, MW is ahead of the CES in many ways, but there is room for improvement smile

Though the keynote gives a very good image of Apple and the Apple community throughout the world, the organisation of the event felt rather sloppy last year when I was there with SNIPUS… Endless queuing before the keynote and a lot of rubbish on display (? la sauce iPod or iMac) with only few interesting booths

Posted: 10 January 2008 06:30 AM #7

[quote author=“roontoon”][quote author=“rattyuk”]Just out of interest… Wonder why they moved Macworld this year? Last year it was up against CES and blew CES out of the water. This year it’s a week late - it normally happens around my birthday - I wonder if there was pressure from CES to move it because of the iPhone swamping all their press coverage last year?

It is more likely that next week is the only time they could book the convention center.

No, I think it was quite deliberate. Apple wanted the entire spotlight. What better way to get even more attention than ever on Macworld that to have people panting for some true innovation after a the huge disappointment at CES the week before??

Even the hacks are bored senseless of CES and just can’t wait to get to MW 8-)

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 10 January 2008 06:36 AM #8

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“roontoon”][quote author=“rattyuk”]Just out of interest… Wonder why they moved Macworld this year? Last year it was up against CES and blew CES out of the water. This year it’s a week late - it normally happens around my birthday - I wonder if there was pressure from CES to move it because of the iPhone swamping all their press coverage last year?

No, I think it was quite deliberate. Apple wanted the entire spotlight. What better way to get even more attention than ever on Macworld that to have people panting for some true innovation after a the huge disappointment at CES the week before??

Even the hacks are bored senseless of CES and just can’t wait to get to MW 8-)

Could be but these convention centers are booked a year or two in advanced most of the time. While we know that SJ is a control freak I am not so sure that he can control the schedule of the convention center or would be plotting over a year ago. But then again I am often wrong and I for one do not want to second guess SJ’s ability to control things. I am quit amazed at how he kept the lid on the iPhone so well.

d

• Posted: 10 January 2008 09:20 AM #9

[quote author=“roontoon”]Could be but these convention centers are booked a year or two in advanced most of the time. While we know that SJ is a control freak I am not so sure that he can control the schedule of the convention center or would be plotting over a year ago. But then again I am often wrong and I for one do not want to second guess SJ’s ability to control things. I am quit amazed at how he kept the lid on the iPhone so well.

Which also means the folks at CES would have had to book and publish their schedule ahead of time as well. smile

• Posted: 10 January 2008 10:32 AM #10

Deliberate or not, it’s worked out well. Apple is getting substantial coverage at CES, with many compatible products, and everyone talking about what will be announced at Macworld. Apple didn’t need to upstage CES this year.

• Posted: 10 January 2008 12:02 PM #11

[quote author=“sleepygeek”]Deliberate or not, it’s worked out well. Apple is getting substantial coverage at CES, with many compatible products, and everyone talking about what will be announced at Macworld. Apple didn’t need to upstage CES this year.

I think Apple has already upstaged CES with the anticipation of the expo announcements. Better to keep people imagining through CES as to what Apple will announce rather than have it disclosed before that event.

In a way, without Apple’s announcements known, CES is a bit less complete.

Posted: 10 January 2008 12:43 PM #12

[quote author=“DawnTreader”]In a way, without Apple’s announcements known, CES is a bit less complete.

Indeed. So much of the coverage of CES has had a seemingly unavoidable Apple undercurrent, and the prospect of cool goodies at MacWorld seems to have sapped or even undermined the show.

If this continues, and I think it will for at least a few years, it may benefit CES exhibitors to have a presence at MacWorld to show off their wares. Why not hook a Mac to that big-ass TV? Why not show off home theater systems that integrate well with Apple hardware and software?

Posted: 10 January 2008 01:24 PM #13

You need to now be envious of me.

:D

The news coming out of MW will make a big splash and the sponge will be there to soak it all up. 8-)

• Posted: 10 January 2008 02:47 PM #14

[quote author=“omacvi”]You need to now be envious of me.

:D

The news coming out of MW will make a big splash and the sponge will be there to soak it all up. 8-)

We will be really envious with each live news report posted in the AFB from the conference and expo. Several posts a day with news and information will raise the envy factor significantly.  :innocent:

Posted: 10 January 2008 03:13 PM #15

[quote author=“DawnTreader”] Several posts a day with news and information will raise the envy factor significantly.  :innocent:

Our own AFB commentator to relay the inside action . . . smile

Signature

Bought and Held