Adding H264 component to QT 6.5.3

Posted: 12 February 2008 02:39 AM

Hello world,

I still own a Pizmo running under 10.2.8, no later version of OS X possible at the moment.

Quicktime is frozen at 6.5.3 that means no H264 codec, apart some security flaws, so is there any means of adding the H264 component?

I tried this with no success: I added the QT7 H264 component pkg to system/library/quicktime, then I updated the plist files as in 6.5.3, and fixed the permissions.
    Maybe I forgot any library cache update?

Maybe I’m just dreaming?

TIA

Signature

-
    -
    -
    Nothing is real, all is possible

• Posted: 13 February 2008 03:27 PM #1

The problem is, unless the movies you want to play are pretty low resolution, it’s not going to work well even if you technically get it running. I have a 500MHz PowerBook G4 that I use as my sort of media player connected to my projector. I tried viewing a H.264 video that was ripped from a DVD, and it was just unwatchable. Only a frame or two per second and the audio kept stuttering. I’m guessing you’d need at least a 1GHz G4 for it to work acceptably. I just plug in my MacBook when I have to play H.264.

There’s always VLC as an option but I wouldn’t expect it to perform any better, and you’d have to use an old version if you want to run it on 10.2.x. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Posted: 15 February 2008 01:41 AM #2

I see, so it’s not worth while because my pizmo is a G3 400MHz 1MB RAM. Good point, thanks.

What a pity, but I’m doing the same i.e. often switching to my Macbook to use H264 and newer codecs.

Signature

-
    -
    -
    Nothing is real, all is possible