iPhone SDK LAUNCH EVENT March 6th -Historic moment for Apple

Posted: 27 February 2008 08:53 AM

12:51   AAPL Apple says to detail iPhone software plans on March 6 - Reuters (121.45 +2.30)

Discuss 8-)

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 February 2008 09:09 AM #1

Barrons

Apple To Hold March 6 Press Event On iPhone SDK
    Posted by Eric Savitz
    Apple (AAPL) has issued a media advisory for a March 6 event (logo above) on the company’s campus in Cupertino to focus on “the iPhone software roadmap, including the iPhone SDK and some exciting new enterprise features.”

There has been considerable buzzing about the status of the iPhone SDK in the blogosphere lately; the company had originally said it would ship in February, and it is obviously a tad behind schedule.

I’ve been saying this is going to merit an event. This will be huge and include software partners and a major set of announcements.

This will be huge.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 27 February 2008 09:21 AM #2

Re: iPhone SDK plans LAUNCH EVENT March 6th

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”]

12:51   AAPL Apple says to detail iPhone software plans on March 6 - Reuters (121.45 +2.30)

Discuss 8-)

I like the enterprise angle. iPhone FUDmeisters will be choking on that, no doubt.

Posted: 27 February 2008 09:24 AM #3

The market still fails to grasp the significance of this event, but they WILL understand it after the launch, and after the demos and announcements. It will be all over the media.

I firmly believe this is going to have a material impact on the stock in a big way, as projections for iPhone and touch sales will be ramped up now that the Street begins to understand how large the addressable market for the devices really are, not to mention sees for itself the massive interest from large major software development houses in the platform.

It will also see the potential for revenues from software sales through iTunes, which I am sure will be the sole conduit for purchasing and installing applications.

The launch may have been delayed to allow one or two developers to finish their demo products of for the launch.. maybe Lotus Notes, or Exchange, or whatever… needed a bit more work before they could be shown and that’s why the push-back was so last-minute, because they hoped to get the m finished in time but ultimately couldn’t quite do it.

This is huge. This is about 20-30M iPhones/iPod touch owners for application developers to sell applications to. Massive - simply MASSIVE addressable market. One of the biggest things to ever happen at Apple, and basically it has been totally overlooked not just by the Street, but even by most of the Apple usuals.

This is bigger than going from OS9 to OS X of PPC to Intel.

And nobody gets it.

Amazing. Morons.

Signature

Posted: 27 February 2008 09:44 AM #4

Enterprise features ... software roadmap ... clearly targeted at enterprise ... consumers don’t need roadmap.  Btw, what happen to the “starbucks closing down”?  Nothing exciting?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 27 February 2008 09:46 AM #5

This is NOT just about the iPhone..its about the iPod… iPhone apps will also run on iPod touch models.. that’s why there’s the potential for 20-30M units/year here for developers to address.

Just think of the size of that market! Compare it to say, Nintedo DS/Gameboy and other handheld gaming devices, for example, in terms of appeal to software developers.

This is huge. It about more than the iPhone. Its about the iPhone, the iPod touch, and future full-screen iPod models.

Its about one of the largest opportunities for software developers since the launch of the Wii, the XBox, and the PS3 combined. Or the launch of the Playstation. Whether this particular launch is enterprise-related or not, there will be more launches, and non-enterprise apps, including games, in the long run. THe point is, this is a platform which will be selling in the order of 20-30M units/year and growing over the iPhone/iPod range and that’s a massive massive market for developers!

Signature

Posted: 27 February 2008 09:53 AM #6

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”] ... THe point is, this is a platform which will be selling in the order of 20-30M units/year and growing over the iPhone/iPod range and that’s a massive massive market for developers!

No need to shout, I heard you :drool:.  Is very exciting for sure.

Just to give some credit to your soft-spoken counterpart, I’ve included this thread here.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 27 February 2008 10:01 AM #7

forget the SDK :D ... i just want the stock hit 300 and get over with it .. the wait is killing me ... :D ...

we live in historic times ... can’t wait how all comes to fruition

• Posted: 27 February 2008 10:08 AM #8

I was hoping for a new Boot Camp…

It seems it?s coming smile

Posted: 27 February 2008 10:09 AM #9

[quote author=“korky”]forget the SDK :D ... i just want the stock hit 300 and get over with it .. the wait is killing me ... :D ...

we live in historic times ... can’t wait how all comes to fruition

The SDK will help us get to and OVER $300 eventually wink

Signature

Posted: 27 February 2008 10:11 AM #10

[quote author=“Mace”]
    Just to give some credit to your soft-spoken counterpart, I’ve included this thread here.

Sleepygeek did indeed “get it” immediately too, all kudos to him. But then he’s about 12-24-36 (longer even, sometimes) months ahead of the rest of the world with regard to understanding the impact of new technologies so would we expect anything less from him? :D

Signature

Posted: 27 February 2008 10:23 AM #11

When ALL iPods (except maybe the shuffle) run the same Mobile OS X platform things will start hotting up! Hopefully this will happen during the autumn refresh.

Signature

An AAPL a day keeps the doctor away

• Posted: 27 February 2008 10:31 AM #12

iPhone Atlas had this comment on the event:

Apple’s official software development kit (SDK) and associated components for the iPhone are complete and ready to ship, sources familiar with the matter have told iPhone Atlas. However, a series of legal hurdles — potentially including patent approval delays — have thus far stalled a release to developers.

I assume that those matters have been cleared up and the SDK will be released on Thursday.

• Posted: 27 February 2008 10:37 AM #13

Apple to RIMM: Game On

Signature

It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed. -Albert Einstein | Think Different

• Posted: 27 February 2008 10:58 AM #14

“Enterprise features”. Now that’s good news.

Signature

It is always easier to believe than to deny. Our minds are naturally affirmative.
      - John Burroughs

Posted: 27 February 2008 10:59 AM #15

I really hope it’s all we hope it will be, but lets bear in mind that all they’re announcing is a meeting to discuss plans for the future, it’s possible that the sdk will be coming a little bit further down the road than we think… I hope it’s not. We’ll know on the 6th.