Photos of our computer setups

• Posted: 27 April 2002 11:40 PM

Edit [7/2/2001]: Posted a better picture.

Sure, other boards have threads like this, but let’s see what our fellow Mac Observer readers’ computer setups look like.  I’ll start it off.

You can still find my old photos here:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-07-03 00:30 ]</font>

Posted: 18 June 2001 07:34 AM #1

Okay, I’ll bite.  Here’s my setup:

Normally I’d have my camera somewhere (but I was was using it ) and some other audio junk.  Oh, and I don’t keep my PB on my burner all the time.  I was just trying to put it in the picture.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Burnum on 2001-06-18 10:35 ]</font>

• Posted: 21 June 2001 11:57 PM #2

Hey….I am the VERY FIRST GUY ON THIS PLANET who started this topic

If anyone of you has been Appleinsider’s Forum you should know this already

I am going to charge people royalty

Anyway….here’s mine

My G4/450 has 1.5GB of RAM….will go 2GB once OSX turns to my main OS…..but don’t know when this would happen

——————————————
    My Web Site

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leonis on 2001-06-22 03:02 ]</font>

Signature

• Posted: 22 June 2001 09:44 AM #3

Does a G4 tower have 4 DIMM slots?  If it only has 3 how are you going to take it to 2GB?  I know the cube will only do 1.5Gig because of only having 3 slots ... and my Abit MB only has 3 as well.  My iMac only has a paltry 2…

• Posted: 22 June 2001 10:10 AM #4

Mine is the Pre-2001 Model which really has four slots. The 2001 model only has three.

But you still can buy two 512MB to get your iMac 1GB of RAM   RAM is so ****ing cheap these days.  $100 (or even less) for one 512MB is insane.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Leonis on 2001-06-22 13:11 ]</font>

Signature

• Posted: 23 June 2001 11:22 AM #5

On 2001-06-22 02:57, Leonis wrote:
    Hey….I am the VERY FIRST GUY ON THIS PLANET who started this topic

If anyone of you has been Appleinsider’s Forum you should know this already

Hey, Leonis, nice to see you here.  I have seen the topic at AI, and I instantly recognized your picture as being from that thread.  Thanks for coming up with the idea… it’s one of the best topics I’ve seen on a message board.

Posted: 23 June 2001 07:32 PM #6

For the record, I totally agree with David.  This is a great idea, and I too thank you, Leonis. I love seeing the way other people are using their Macs.  Man, what a geek I am! 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 24 June 2001 08:33 PM #7

hey everyone

how do i post my pic here??

thanks

yanges

“There are two major products to come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. This is not a coincidence.” - Unknown

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: yanges on 2001-06-24 23:33 ]</font>

Signature

yanges

dual 2.0ghz PowerMac, Tiger 10.4.7, 1gb ram, 19" Viewsonic CRT display, HK SoundSticks, iBot - Cube 450mhz, OSX.2, 1.2gb ram, Apple CRT 17" Studio Display

Posted: 24 June 2001 09:21 PM #8

Posting pics:  You aren’t actually posting your pics here, but merely linking to them (meaning they have to be on another server).

To have them show in a post, use BBCode, which is explained in the FAQ .

[ img ]http:www.yourdomain.com/path_to_your_file[ /img ]

Note that there are spaces in the BBCode above so that it will show up.  Also, please keep the widths to 500 or less!

Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in their success, but in the way they achieved and maintain that success.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2001-06-25 00:24 ]</font>

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 24 June 2001 09:32 PM #9

More pics! Do I have to send $9.99 for the good or something? You didn’t show me anything there David. Way too much plastic—beyond sexy.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 10:22 PM #10

I have a PowerBook and a Cube If you were to be facing the desk with the Cube on it (picture below), my PowerBook set up (the 2nd picture below) would be to the left, against the left wall…

Here’s two pictures of my Cube set up… living proof that you shouldn’t believe Apple’s marketing when it shows those nice pictures of the Cube with no tangles of wiring hanging out of it…

It’s the first revision Cube: 450 MHz G4, OS X/9.1 dual partition, 1 Gig RAM, 30 Gig HD, AirPort Card. Attached to it (starting from the 12:00 position) are: Visor Prism, Umax USB scanner, HP DeskWriter 680c, with Keyspan USB/serial adapter, Apple Personal LaserWriter 320, AT & T cable modem, connected to my AirPort base station, SanDisk CompactFlash card reader, Creative Labs Nomad II MG MP3 player (two of ‘em), Logitech TrackMan Marble Wheel, Apple keyboard (behind it is the irDA receiver for the Macally wireless keyboard), to the the left of the keyboard is a Canon ZR-10 camcorder, behind the Cube is a Que!Fire FireWire CDRW, USB Zip drive, SohoWare ethernet hub, Belkin USB hub, Western Digital 30 Gig FireWire hard drive, VST Floppy Drive, above the monitor is a USB-powered light, above the keyboard are also various USB mice (Apple’s round mouse from my B/W G3, Macally’s iVoice USB mic, a Contour UniMouse, Apple Pro USB mouse)

...and here’s my PowerBook set up…
    (Note: this PB died 7/20/01, dammit)

It’s a PowerBook G3 “Wallstreet,” 233 MHz, OS 9.1/X dual partition, 512 backside cache, 14.1” screen, 6 Gig drive (upgraded from original 2 Gig), 288 MB RAM. To the left is a 17” ViewSonic monitor, on the monitor are Benwin external speakers, in front of the monitor is a Newon MessagePad 130 (next to a Macally serial-port mouse), below the desk is a split-key, serial-port keyboard. The PowerBook has a Lucent WaveLAN card (now called Orinoco, I believe) in its PCMCIA slot on the left side…

Rodney O. Lain
    Mac Observer Columnist, iBrotha’s page at TMO

iBrotha.com’s Webmaster, .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ibrotha on 2001-07-08 22:54 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ibrotha on 2001-08-09 08:15 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: iBrotha on 2001-08-09 08:16 ]</font>

Signature

“Free yo mind & yo ass will follow…”George Clinton
    peep my iBookiBrotha.comfor the ladies...

• Posted: 27 June 2001 12:17 AM #11

iBrotha:  Thanks for adding your pictures!

Anonymous:  I realize that my pictures are not very good. I will have some better ones in a few days but what I have now will have to do.  And to quote Bryan… “register”. 

• Posted: 02 July 2001 09:15 PM #12

Note: I’ve updated my picture. You can find it in the first message of this thread, or here:

Posted: 02 July 2001 09:18 PM #13

That is a MUCH better picture, David. 

Signature

• Posted: 02 July 2001 09:28 PM #14

Thank you! I’m glad I finally have a decent one to use in threas like this one.

• Posted: 02 July 2001 09:50 PM #15

Oh, I was Anonymous btw.. I’m registered now. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Bryan.