what is the best apple laptop to buy used

• Posted: 30 April 2008 05:14 PM

i need to know what apple laptop is the best to buy used i need 1 for work and when i go on trips i dont know what to get i have a ibook and i need something to keep for work thx for any help apple

Posted: 01 May 2008 06:00 PM #1

It’s hard to tell. As a guess, and this took me some little time to work out, what I think you were trying to say was: [quote author=“924man, possibly”]I need to know what Apple laptop is the best to buy. I need one for work and when I go on trips. I don’t know what to get. I have an iBook, and I need something to keep for work. Thanks for any help.”

If I’m correct in that, I don’t know. Please let us know how much you’re expecting to pay, for example, how often you’ll be travelling, how intensive are your graphics requirements, how much disk space you need - that sort of thing.

You’re not bloody text-messaging here, matey!  :x

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 02 May 2008 08:00 AM #2

As annoying and unintelligible as it is, punctuation deficient text-message language isn’t going anywhere. And there isn’t much we can do about it, sadly.

Anyway, back to 942s question. Almost all Mac laptops are good, reliable machines. It just depends on your budget and your power needs. If you often travel and enjoy working on the road, consider the 12” PowerBook G4 which offers an optimal combination of size and performance. The Pismo PowerBook G3 may also be worthwile if you consider their ability to simultaneously use two batteries.

• Posted: 08 May 2008 04:04 PM #3

i travel 1 maby 2 times a year i can pay $350 to $450 i need lots of harddrive space 80 gb and up i need something i can run my phone throw i need someting thats fast and safe so that coustmers info wont get stolen apple

Posted: 08 May 2008 04:22 PM #4

[quote author=“macinnerd”]As annoying and unintelligible as it is, punctuation deficient text-message language isn’t going anywhere. And there isn’t much we can do about it, sadly.You’re right - it’s not going anywhere. Where it ought to be going is:[quote author=“924man, preferably”]I travel once or maybe twice a year. I can pay $350 to $450. I need lots of harddrive space: 80gb and up. I also need something I can run my phone through, and something that’s fast, and safe so that customers’ info won’t get stolen.

Now tell me which is easier to read? which one doesn’t require you to go back and re-read it to make sure you can understand it?

The main point of consistent punctuation, capitalisation, syntax, spelling and grammar is to provide signposts to aid comprehension and reduce ambiguity.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 08 May 2008 04:33 PM #5

I’m sorry to say, I think you’re expecting too much for too little money.

In the sub-$450 range you’ll be looking at an iBook G4 at best, and probably a slower, older one. Those are still perfectly serviceable machines but likely won’t come with 80GB of hard disk space like you want—and you easily may need to upgrade the RAM and/or OS as well.

You’ll get much better bang for your buck if you spend a bit more to get a used or refurbished MacBook in the $700-$900 range. It would be much faster, come with 10.4 or 10.5, and have at least 512MB of RAM and at least 60GB hard disk. As business expenses go it would still be pretty reasonable. Don’t forget to tax deduct it, too!

As for running your phone through it, I don’t understand what you mean. If you want to use Skype, you certainly can. Any Mac made in the last few years would be capable of running it.