TMO Forums Login Issue

Posted: 16 May 2008 11:01 AM

Some of you have had problems logging into the forums recently.  Thank you for alerting me to this problem, and my apologies for any inconvenience this caused.

I’ve found these steps clear up the problem most of the time:
    1) Reset TMO Cookies (This only clears TMO cookies, all other site cookies are not affected)

2) Clear Browsing Data:
    [list][*]Firefox: Tools Menu > Clear Private Data > Check: Browsing History, Cache, Authenticated Sessions, Click “Clear Private Data Now”
    [*]Safari: Safari Menu > Reset Safari > Check: Clear history, Empty the Cache, Click “Reset”[/list:u]
    3) Quit the browser

4) Open the browser and try logging in.

If this problem continues, providing the following information will help troubleshoot this issue:

1) Your Browser (Safari, FireFox, Opera, etc)

2) The kind of login problem
    [list=a][*]You are logged out even though you’ve checked “Log me on automatically each visit”
    [*]You have to login twice before the login “sticks”
    [*]All attempts to login fail (with no message stating your password is incorrect or you have an inactive account).
    [*]All attempts to login fail (a message appears: password is incorrect or you have an inactive account).[/list:o]
    3) If you find macobserver.com cookies still in your browser after using the Reset TMO Cookies link, what are they? 
    (Firefox: Preferences > Privacy > Show Cookies; Safari: Preferences > Security > Show Cookies)

4) Do you login to the forums from multiple computers from the same location (i.e. different computers in the house, or different computers in the office?)

5) What section of the site were you trying to login from?
    [list=a][*]/forums/index.php
    [*]/forums/login.php
    [*]The comments section in one of the TMO articles (i.e. /article/anything/anything/etc..)[/list:o]
    6) Do you visit…
    [list=a][*]Forums only
    [*]Articles & Comments only
    [*]Both Forums and TMO Articles[/list:o]

Answer Template to include in your post:

1[b]Browser:[/b] 

[b]Kind of Login Problem (a-d):[/b] 
    [list
    =a][*]You are logged out even though you've checked "Log me on automatically each visit"
    [*]You have to login twice before the login "sticks"
    [*]All attempts to login fail (with no message stating your password is incorrect or you have an inactive account).
    [*]All attempts to login fail (a message appears: password is incorrect or you have an inactive account).[/list]
    3) [b]TMO Cookies that didn'
    t get deleted from [url=http://www.macobserver.com/clearcookies/forums/]Reset TMO Cookies[/url]:[/b] 
    Name:
    Domain (or Website):
    Path:
    Expires:

4[b]Do you login from multiple computers from the same location?[/b]

[b]What section of the site were you trying to login from?[/b] (/forums/index.php, /forums/login.php, or on a TMO Article)

6[b]I visit:[b] (both articles and forumsonly forumsonly articles

Thank you very much, and I hope we can get to the bottom of this issue once and for all.

[ Edited: 11 March 2009 06:25 PM by Stephen Swift ]      

Posted: 28 May 2008 09:19 AM #1

Here’s my TMO login issue for 5/27

1) IE 6:

2) Kind of Login Problem (a-d):
    [list=a][X]You are logged out even though you’ve checked “Log me on automatically each visit”
    [X]You have to login twice before the login “sticks”
    [*]All attempts to login fail (with no message stating your password is incorrect or you have an inactive account).
    [*]All attempts to login fail (a message appears: password is incorrect or you have an inactive account).[/list:o]
    3) TMO Cookies that didn’t get deleted from Reset TMO Cookies :
    Name:
    Domain (or Website):
    Path:
    Expires:

4) Do you login from multiple computers from the same location? Yes. This time though I had only logged in from a single system.

5) What section of the site were you trying to login from? (/forums/index.php, /forums/login.php, or on a TMO Article) Earlier today I logged into the forums. Just now I was attempting to comment on an article. The second time it asked me to log in twice.

6) I visit: (both articles and forums, only forums, only articles) Both

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 21 July 2008 12:33 PM #2

Update

Over the last few weeks I’ve made a point of clearing caches, using the Reset TMO Cookies link and such on all computers that I use to access TMO. I’m seeing the login issues less but still regualrly it tells me that I’m logged in but when I try to post a comment, either on an article or in the foruma, it says that Guest posts are not allowed. In those cases I make a point of logging out, Reset TMO Cookies, and log back in and then the post goes through just fine. I don’t believe I’ve seen the issue where it requires me to log in multiple times since I started Resetting TMO Cookies.

In the last week or so I’;ve noticed another issue. When I try to post a comment I got a DEBUG error that cites every word in my post. I was just trying to post a new topic in the forums and got this;

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Could not insert new word matches

DEBUG MODE

INSERT INTO search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 441268, word_id, 0 FROM search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN (‘first’, ‘thought’, ‘hype’, ‘iphone’, ‘years’, ‘supported’, ‘sorts’, ‘cool’, ‘gadgets’, ‘palm’, ‘blackberry’, ‘knows’, ‘quirky’, ‘finicky’, ‘useful’, ‘reliable’, ‘advertised’, ‘year’, ‘two’, ‘ended’, ‘drawer’, ‘last’, ‘however’, ‘ive’, ‘heard’, ‘talk’, ‘feature’, ‘learned’, ‘apps’, ‘store’, ‘finally’, ‘play’, ‘niece?s’, ‘bit’, ‘ill’, ‘admit’, ‘wrong’, ‘portable’, ‘computer’, ‘makes’, ‘phone’, ‘calls’, ‘unfortunately’, ‘still’, ‘hook’, ‘rogers’, ‘another’, ‘couple’, ‘trade’, ‘phones’, ‘matter’, ‘cell’, ‘400min’, ‘month’, ‘plan’, ‘shared’, ‘wife’, ‘and’, ‘half’, ‘minutes’, ‘contract’, ‘runs’, ‘likely’, ‘drop’, ‘least’, ‘one’, ‘possibly’, ‘both’, ‘i?m’, ‘interested’, ‘back’, ‘three’, ‘liklihood’, ‘someone’, ‘told’, ‘ipod’, ‘touch’, ‘everything’, ‘except’, ‘telephone’, ‘part’, ‘case’, ‘ipt’, ‘making’, ‘course’, ‘differences’, ‘give’, ‘connection’)

Line : 251
    File : functions_search.php
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I’ve seen this several times, though I’m not sure if it’s been just in the forums or in comments as well. Usually my comment goes ahead and posts. In this case, perhaps because it is a new forumtopic, it will not post.

I’ll report back anything else I see.

Signature

Posted: 21 July 2008 12:34 PM #3

and again

My last message also generated the error, but did post. This is the error

<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>
    Could not insert new word matches

DEBUG MODE

INSERT INTO search_wordmatch (post_id, word_id, title_match) SELECT 441280, word_id, 0 FROM search_wordlist WHERE word_text IN (‘last’, ‘few’, ‘weeks’, ‘ive’, ‘made’, ‘point’, ‘clearing’, ‘caches’, ‘using’, ‘reset’, ‘tmo’, ‘cookies’, ‘link’, ‘such’, ‘computers’, ‘access’, ‘seeing’, ‘login’, ‘issues’, ‘still’, ‘regualrly’, ‘tells’, ‘logged’, ‘try’, ‘post’, ‘comment’, ‘article’, ‘foruma’, ‘guest’, ‘posts’, ‘allowed’, ‘cases’, ‘make’, ‘logging’, ‘log’, ‘back’, ‘goes’, ‘fine’, ‘believe’, ‘seen’, ‘issue’, ‘requires’, ‘multiple’, ‘since’, ‘started’, ‘resetting’, ‘week’, ‘ve’, ‘noticed’, ‘another’, ‘debug’, ‘error’, ‘cites’, ‘word’, ‘trying’, ‘topic’, ‘forums’, ‘insert’, ‘matches’, ‘mode’, ‘searchwordmatch’, ‘postid’, ‘wordid’, ‘titlematch’, ‘select’, ‘441268’, ‘searchwordlist’, ‘wordtext’, ‘first’, ‘thought’, ‘hype’, ‘iphone’, ‘years’, ‘supported’, ‘sorts’, ‘cool’, ‘gadgets’, ‘palm’, ‘blackberry’, ‘knows’, ‘quirky’, ‘finicky’, ‘useful’, ‘reliable’, ‘advertised’, ‘year’, ‘two’, ‘ended’, ‘drawer’, ‘however’, ‘heard’, ‘talk’, ‘feature’, ‘learned’, ‘apps’, ‘store’, ‘finally’, ‘play’, ‘niece?s’, ‘bit’, ‘ill’, ‘admit’, ‘wrong’, ‘portable’, ‘computer’, ‘makes’, ‘phone’, ‘calls’, ‘unfortunately’, ‘hook’, ‘rogers’, ‘couple’, ‘trade’, ‘phones’, ‘matter’, ‘cell’, ‘400min’, ‘month’, ‘plan’, ‘shared’, ‘wife’, ‘half’, ‘minutes’, ‘contract’, ‘runs’, ‘likely’, ‘drop’, ‘least’, ‘one’, ‘possibly’, ‘both’, ‘i?m’, ‘interested’, ‘three’, ‘liklihood’, ‘someone’, ‘told’, ‘ipod’, ‘touch’, ‘everything’, ‘except’, ‘telephone’, ‘part’, ‘case’, ‘ipt’, ‘making’, ‘course’, ‘differences’, ‘give’, ‘connection’, ‘line’, ‘251’, ‘file’, ‘functionssearch’, ‘php’, ‘several’, ‘sure’, ‘comments’, ‘usually’, ‘ahead’, ‘perhaps’, ‘forumtopic’, ‘report’, ‘anything’)

Line : 251
    File : functions_search.php
    <<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>

Signature