The Dogcow - A Serious Matter

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:17 PM

Chances are good that Dogcows affect you or someone close to you.  You may not realize it, but the noble Dogcow can change your life in ways you can never imagine until you have experienced the Way of the Dogcow for yourself.  Consequently, Apple has graciously provided us with the following example to help you learn how and how not to draw a Dogcow - something every Mac user should know.

More info found at http://developer.apple.com/products/techsupport/dogcow/tn31.html

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-16 05:13 ]</font>

• Posted: 16 June 2001 04:21 AM #1

MOOF!

Signature

This is my non-working persona, so don’t hold it against me.  grin

This post was brought to you by Mac OS X.

Posted: 16 June 2001 04:23 AM #2

This is such a fantastic, nay, a lantastic, post, that I felt it required comment from both my working voice and my non-working voice.

So, MOOF!

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 16 June 2001 06:18 AM #3

I don’t get it what is this cowdog?  What is Moof?

Signature

Windows sucks.

• Posted: 16 June 2001 08:40 AM #4

To answer your question better, I’ll just give you the url of a good source:
    http://www.nauticom.net/www/dogcow/dc_answers/dc_answer.html

MOOF! is how a dogcow says “hello” (it’s also how he says “Hey!, that’s my sausage.” for that matter.)

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 16 June 2001 09:23 AM #5

The Dogcow is the little animal that is traditionally seen in print dialog boxes on the Mac.  “Moof” is the sound a Dogcow makes. (Moo + Woof)

• Posted: 17 June 2001 08:31 PM #6

Oh cool.  I have wondered about that.  Thank you for answering.

Moof!

Signature

Windows sucks.

Posted: 18 June 2001 06:36 AM #7

The dogcow is a wonderful creature.  I once heard an audio clip of a dogcow.  It sounded more like Mooooof.  I wish I still had it around.

Thoses people at Apple really have a good sense of humor at times.  MOOF -Clarus

• Posted: 18 June 2001 03:45 PM #8

On 2001-06-18 09:36, Burnum wrote:
    I once heard an audio clip of a dogcow.  It sounded more like Mooooof.  I wish I still had it around.

Funny you mention it… look two posts up and click on the “Moof!” in my signature.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 03:47 PM #9

Oops… the previous post was me, not logged in, and it’s actually 3 messages up from that one. (Or in the signature of this message.) 

• Posted: 18 June 2001 04:06 PM #10

-Clarus,

You can hear the Moof at either of the above links.

George

• Posted: 24 June 2001 10:25 PM #11

MOOF!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Clarus on 2001-06-25 01:26 ]</font>

Signature

Clarus the Dogcow

“Furthermore, to make the process of constructing an A5 world as straightforward as possible, yet consistent with normal applications, extensive use is made of two undocumented routines in the MPW run-time libraries. The dangers

• Posted: 26 June 2001 11:39 AM #12

Ah, is this the kind of playful humour missing from the present-day slick and somewhat serious corporate Apple?

Signature

‘The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the state.’  -Tacitus

• Posted: 26 June 2001 11:51 AM #13

you know, with cloning these days, they could make a dogcow, and we could put Apple logos all over it and make it our mascot. Think of all the other Mac sites that will try to steal him? Like a high school rivalry. The Bill Gates camp is probably reading this as we speak!

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

Posted: 26 June 2001 12:13 PM #14

Zeusen, yes it is.

Scottk: I like it.  We’ll The Mac Observer Labs start working on that now.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 26 June 2001 12:17 PM #15

Oh, thanks Bryan, but I’m half done. I’ll email my notes.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)