Jaguar now $79…

Posted: 29 July 2002 10:08 AM

...At Amazon.

No, I’m not trying to sucker folks here: Amazon has a mail in rebate for MacOS X Jaguar: buy it between now and September 3,  for $129.99, and get free “Super Saver” shipping. There is a rebate form for $50, which must be sent in before October 3.  Please allow 8-10 weeks for delivery or rebate.

The rebate form also offers substantial savings on other major software packages for the Mac, including Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Toast with Jam, Stuffit Deluxe 7, MS Office, and Filemaker. (Plus many other MS packs, and even a few Linux ones).

Now, I’m goign to suggest people wait a couple weeks first, and see what else pops up from other resellers. That’s just good shopping. Also, the rebate coupon I just printed off doesn’t have Jaguar listed, even though the Amazon page clearly states that it’s part of the offer.

Link to Jaguar on Amazon

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

• Posted: 29 July 2002 07:30 PM #1

Wait? Screw that! I ordered mine! grin

Signature

"If only you could have seen what I’ve seen with your eyes." Roy, Blade Runner

Vern Seward

• Posted: 30 July 2002 01:30 PM #2

Yes that was bound to hapen.  I empathise with you Vern.  Thats just not fair and if Apple turn around next week and say actually we will introduce an Upgrade price at $50. That would be really poxy from yor point of view.  Apple made a big mistake here.  At first I thought that their plan would be : Announce Jag at $129.  Then when they protest for a while we will announce:  OK OK you can upgrade for $50.  After last years miniscule$19 mail in update debacle maybe they felt that even an upgrade price would be a red rag to it’s loyal customers.

Obviously the above business model that I talk about is crazy as evidenced from your point of view of being fleeced even at this stage. 

Apple made a mess of this.  On day one they should have said $129 for jag :  $79 for upgrade and none of this messing complicating maters.  They would had more respect from their customers.

Signature

Dogma is Mans best friend

• Posted: 30 July 2002 01:51 PM #3

I think Vern was joking.  smile  Besides, he could just cancel the order.

Signature

—R.J.
    G5 Inside

• Posted: 30 July 2002 03:29 PM #4

Guess I fell for it then :groucho: Still think the vista is messy though. No Amazon Jaguars on the horizon over here. No doubt they may appear here though the U.S tradition of rebates has never been seen funtioning here.  Possibly a good reason for that.  Maybe something to do with VAT and the laws regulating it.  Ill stop now because i am probably talking pure sh^*% raspberry

Signature

Dogma is Mans best friend

• Posted: 31 July 2002 07:50 AM #5

Joking? Nope! I did order it. 

I don’t think Apple will blink first on this one. They are going to charge $130 and say to Hell with anyone who doesn’t want to pay it. They believe, and they could be right about this, that they’ve put so much good stuff in Jaguwire that you’ll start having Pavlovian responses everytime someone mentions it. If you are not angry enuff to abandon the platform then you will buy Jaguwire sooner or later.

.Mac is another situation. While Apple may think that retaining 10% of the original iTools users is fine I don’t htink they realize the extent of the ire and the problems they’ve caused by totally dropping the mac.com email addresses. This could be a marketing blunder that could haunt them for quite sometime. The real shame is that they could fix it easily. The very people they are pissing off are the same people who make marketing decissions for the companies Apple is trying to get into. Apple is suppose to be trying to cultivate a rep of good customer support, this .Mac thing, no matter how good the services are, will leave a nasty taste in everyone’s mouths, and when decisions are made about servers and platforms this one thing could be the deciding factor against Macs.  No rocket science here, just common sense.

One last point: Apple may think it has 60 + days to decide but it doesn’t. Everyday people are finding other options. Once they are gone, they are GONE. By offering a mac.com mail address alternative payment scheme, Apple could retain 70% or more of its iTools user base. These people could sign up for .Mac after drooling over new features.

Unless Apple has an ulterior motive for dissing iTools customers, Apple had best move and move quickly.

Signature

Vern Seward

• Posted: 31 July 2002 12:41 PM #6

Funny thing

I just checked out the amazon.com OS X 10.2 webpage and the $50 rebate offer isn’t mentioned any more.  Also, my order placed yesterday now says something about this item not being stocked or discontinued (yesterday I thought it said something about a preorder…).

Did Amazon get it’s wrist slapped?

...Jim

• Posted: 31 July 2002 05:03 PM #7

The link’s missing, but someone at Ars Technica called Amazon and was told the coupon rebate is still on.  Just dig up the link that goes directly to the rebate coupon and you’re golden.

Oh, and MacMinute has a $10 rebate code for Amazon as well, so you can get Jaguar for $60 off!  :D

—R.J.

Signature

—R.J.
    G5 Inside

• Posted: 31 July 2002 06:16 PM #8

Here’s the rebate coupon link . Not sure that it’s valid without buying it from Amazon, and I’m not sure that they will honor my order though I hope they do. If you ordered and did not download the coupon, do so now. If you miss it, send me a note and I can send it to you.

Rjung: Where on Macminute is the $10 rebate?

Signature

Vern Seward

Posted: 31 July 2002 06:50 PM #9

I saw an ad over at MacMinute’s main page that says Amazaon will also give a rebate of US$10 on top of the US$50 off.  I clicked the link, but found only the US$129 price listed.  Anyway, for those of you who’ve ordered 10.2 at full price, you can always cancel your oder.  I did that because in my hurry to get an order in (I know, hurry and then wait four weeks) I forgot that there would probably be an education customer price.  So I called Apple, cancelled the first order, and reordered as an education customer.

Signature

Great wits are sure to madness near allied.—John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

• Posted: 01 August 2002 09:09 AM #10

Jag at $130? NOT!

Apple is simply not practicing good business. They are demanding more than Jag is worth to me and to many other people. As a result, they are going to get 100% of nothing which, no matter how you do the math, is less than 40 percent of something. Many of the new bells and whistles are of little or no use to me, a home user. Others are not desired by me (ie: iChat). Still others are no accessible to my computer (a G3 based iMac).

I have already paid $130 for OS X and while I would be willing to shell out a little for 10.2, I am not willing to pay $130 for it. In fact, I don’t even see $80 worth of value in it for me, personally. The net result to Apple is that they are getting 100% of nothing. I have little doubt that I am not alone and that there are most likely a few hundred thousand other users in the same suite.

Now, let’s just run some funny numbers….........

If Apple sold 10.2 to registered users of OS X for $40, and 200,000 upgraded that otherwise would have passed on it like I already am passing on it, that would be about 8,000,000 dollars to Apple. That is $8,000,000 that Apple is not going to get.

Bad business.

I’m passing on OS X v10.2. I might pay full price for 10.3 IF AND ONLY IF it offers enough improvements for me personally. And lest one thinks I’ll be forced into going bankrupt just to keep up with the “latest and greatest”, I’ve another word for them. I’m strongly considering the absolute requirement for a computer in this home.

Good paying jobs are being sent over seas by the thousands and are being replaced with minimal wage jobs. I, and others can’t afford to break the bank just because some corporation needs to “increase it’s profits”. I can’t increase my wages by giving my boss a price hike. Corporations and their Boards are just going to have to deal with that.

L.A.

• Posted: 01 August 2002 11:07 AM #11

[quote author=“VSeward”]Here’s the rebate coupon link . Not sure that it’s valid without buying it from Amazon

I believe the coupon says you have to include your Amazon.com sales slip.

[quote author=“Anonymous”]Apple is simply not practicing good business. They are demanding more than Jag is worth to me and to many other people.

Anonymous poster, random grousing, no details—I smell a troll…

(Hey, I bought MacOS X 10.1 just three weeks ago, and I still think Jaguar is worth the money.  Doesn’t mean I won’t try to get it for less, though! wink )

Signature

—R.J.
    G5 Inside

• Posted: 01 August 2002 12:08 PM #12

Update from MacMinute:

Amazon.com pulls Jaguar rebate after strong demand
    August 1 - 13:00 ET  Overwhelming demand caused Amazon.com to retract its US$50 rebate for Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar, MacMinute has learned. Amazon.com caught the attention of the Mac community earlier this week when it rolled out the exclusive rebate, but pulled it yesterday afternoon without notice. “Customer response exceeded our wildest expectations so we’re not continuing the rebate at this time,” Ling Hong, an Amazon.com spokesperson told MacMinute. “But obviously all the pre-orders that we received during the time that the rebate offer was posted on our site will be honored.” Hong said all orders place up until 19:00 PT yesterday will be eligible.

Posted: 01 August 2002 03:45 PM #13

And stupid me, being the smart little consumer, waited one damn day too long. =P NOW I’m bummed.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

• Posted: 01 August 2002 04:23 PM #14

Dangnabit!!! I was just about to….....

• Posted: 02 August 2002 07:59 AM #15

Hah! I got it!  Nah-nahnah-nahnahhhh-nah! grin

I talked to Ms. Hong too. Extremely nice person.  Said she was getting lots of calls about the OS X deal. Said there was a possibility they may reinstate the deal if inventories and other factors permit.

Of course, my daughter can buy it for less, she’s in school!

Signature

Vern Seward