App Store Sales Counts!

• Posted: 10 July 2008 05:45 PM

Like some others, I’ve installed 2.0 on my old, non-3G iPhone. I’ve already spent nearly $100 on apps and have nearly 30 installed. Incredible. But the most incredible thing is the math. The App Store on the iPhone shows how many times an App has been downloaded, as Nickker pointed out in a separate thread:

[quote author=“nickker”]I assume I am not the first to discover this, but I just noticed that Super Monkey Ball has been downloaded over 9,000 times already at $9.99 a pop. That is just that particular game, and I would assume that is mostly being downloaded by the relatively folks who have already figured out how to install the 2.0 update. Imagine how high that number will be once everyone gets 2.0 and all the people getting their shiny new iPhones this weekend start browsing the App Store. The app store is going to generate an insane amount of revenue for developers and Apple. I just hope Wall Street takes notice and can do the math(s).

We know developers keep 70% of the purchase price and Apple gets the other 30%. So take the retail price of any app, multiply by the number of downloads, take 70% of that and you know what the developer is getting.

Although Super Monkey Ball (from SEGA) is the top download, think about the app called “Band” from MooCowMusic. You’ll recall that MooCowMusic is a one-man development team—the guy from Britain who is works as a developer in the insurance industry. His name is Mark Terry, and he said at WWDC that he’s been developing for the iPhone in his “spare time”.

As of 8:30 EST, a full twelve hours before the new iPhone goes on sale in the U.S. and the 2.0 software + App Store are formally launched, this app has already been downloaded nearly 1,000 times.

1,000 downloads of “Band”
    $9.99 ea.
    70% to developer

Mark Terry as a solo developer has made $7,000 in his “spare time” before the App Store even launches. How much will he have made by the end of the day tomorrow? $70,000? More?

This guy could make a quick million in a very short amount time. Can you imagine how filthy rich he’s going to be in a year? Or if Munster’s 45 million iPhones sold in 2009 comes true?

The bottom line:

It’s easy to see why Steve Jobs called this the most significant launch of his career. It’s crystal clear why developers will be fighting one another for the chance to create apps for the iPhone and iPod touch.

And it’s obvious to me that no other platform or ecosystem can challenge the iPhone. Maybe Android will get there eventually. Or maybe not.

This is a huge, huge deal.

Signature

It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed. -Albert Einstein | Think Different

Posted: 10 July 2008 06:12 PM #1

Lumi,
    a really good post - thanks!!
    Mac

• Posted: 10 July 2008 07:20 PM #2

Lumi, thanks for sharing the info. smile

My Internet access has slowed to a crawl. It must be all of the Mac users in Southern California downloading the iTunes update and shopping at the app store. Seriously, there’s a high concentration of Mac users in my general area. Enough to slow down the ‘Net for the next few hours.

• Posted: 10 July 2008 07:39 PM #3

Here are a few PAID download counts as of 7/10 at 10:30 EST:

Note: Neither the App Store nor the 2.0 software have officially launched

(1) Super Monkey Ball—10,955
    (2) MLB at Bat—2,602
    (3) Enigmo—1,901
    (4) OmiFocus—1,238
    (5) Cro-Mag Rally—1,594
    (6) Texas Hold’em—1,667
    (7) Band—1,247 (one-man developer)
    (8) Bejeweled 2.0—944
    (9) MPG—1,004 (one-man developer)
    (10) Frommer’s San Francisco—242

On the FREE side, here are a few counts:

(1) Remote—55,170
    (2) AIM from AOL—43,266
    (3) Facebook—31,669
    (4) Google Mobile App—26,894
    (5) Weatherbug—22,458
    (6) eBay Mobile—17,338
    (7) NY Times—17,128
    (8) Pandora Radio—14,270
    (9) MySpace Mobile—14,038
    (10) AOL Radio—14,012

Will be interesting to see where these numbers are 24 hours from now.

Also:

From Conde Nast Portfolio:

Six months ago, Greg Yardley was a project manager at Yahoo, where he worked on the company’s advertising platform. Today, he is the co-founder and chief executive of Pinch Media, a New York-based startup which provides services to iPhone developers. Pinch Media recently closed its first round of venture capital from Union Square Ventures and other investors.

On the eve of the launch of the iPhone 3G, I caught up with Yardley for his views on the new iPhone App store; how apps are going to make money; and his advice for Jerry Yang.

Tech Observer: How would you gauge the level of enthusiasm in the iPhone developer community?

Yardley: It’s huge. There are tons of people working on interesting projects, and I think the 552 applications that were out the door this morning are really just the tip of the iceberg. And this is just the first iteration, so we’re going to see these things get better and slicker, and there are going to be a lot more of them. I really think the best minds in the Mac development community are working full-steam on interesting iPhone applications.

Tech Observer: How big is the potential market for iPhone applications?

Yardley: The question isn’t so much how big is the market for iPhone applications, it’s how big is the market for mobile applications. The iPhone is a force for change. It’s a beautiful thing. It’s shaken up the entire mobile marketplace. I think the iPhone, just based on the strength of the App Store, is going to get a lot of market share. I think we’ll easily have millions and millions of users within the United States on the iPhone alone. And I think that worldwide, Apple is really going to blow out their sales numbers.

Signature

It gives me great pleasure indeed to see the stubbornness of an incorrigible nonconformist warmly acclaimed. -Albert Einstein | Think Different

• Posted: 10 July 2008 08:43 PM #4

I’ve changed the name of the topic to better reflect Lumi’s work and the focus of the discussion.

Posted: 10 July 2008 10:56 PM #5

Is anyone still seeing the download numbers? I am currently seeing “0 Downloads” for every app I check.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 11 July 2008 06:52 AM #6

Yep. The counts all reset to 0 sometime around midnight last night. Still showing 0 this morning. Will be interesting to see if at some point they start ticking again with the official opening of the App Store… or if this feature will be disabled.

Signature

Posted: 11 July 2008 08:26 AM #7

Today is the very first day that I have ever purchased anything from the iTunes store.  There must be millions of people like me, who do not need or want to buy music, but will want to buy apps.  THAT is the killer news so far as I am concerned.

Signature

"There is one thing that I can confirm without breaking any NDA: the iPhone is hands down, without a doubt, the single most powerful mobile development platform EVER." - Leading Microsoft .Net developer Kevin Hoffman.

• Posted: 11 July 2008 08:35 AM #8

[quote author=“gatesofhell”]Today is the very first day that I have ever purchased anything from the iTunes store.  There must be millions of people like me, who do not need or want to buy music, but will want to buy apps.  THAT is the killer news so far as I am concerned.

We’re covering the app store as the iPhone’s “Killer app” in this topic. smile