iPhone Tethering: Discuss your NetShare experiences here

Posted: 01 August 2008 12:35 PM

NetShare back up!

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/01/netshare-tethering-app-reappears-on-app-store/

Signature

The ends don’t justify the means…

Posted: 01 August 2008 11:37 AM #1

[quote author=”$Billyall”][quote author=“Mayor Quimby”]NetShare back up!

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/01/netshare-tethering-app-reappears-on-app-store/

Im gonna buy it before they pull it again and I dont even have my iphone yet :D

I’m really surprised.  REALLY.  Maybe Apple convinced AT&T it wouldn’t be used that frequently.  I dunno.  I couldn’t hit the buy button fast enough though.

Signature

Posted: 01 August 2008 12:30 PM #2

[quote author=“Tommo_UK”][quote author=“Mayor Quimby”]NetShare back up!

OMFG.. thanks for that heads-up. Bought it immediately!

Note: It works :D .. seems to have problems with some apps though, and my understanding of proxies and SOCKS is too limited to know how to delve into this… more importantly, although I can browse the Web in Safari, I can’t seem to use ThinkOrSwim Desktop….

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 01 August 2008 12:59 PM #3

Damn!  I don’t see it.  Is it only on the UK store?

Edit:  Never ming.  Got it.  Testing now…

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 01 August 2008 01:07 PM #4

Works great for web browsing in Safari, but it does NOT work with all internet applications.

To do that, you’ll need yet another application - this time one to run on your Mac, to route all internet traffic through a SOCKS proxy.

The MacRumours site suggests trying http://www.proxifier.com/ which has a month’s free trial. Frankly I think NullRiver should provide a similar solution for free as a companion app on the Mac to fully enable this functionality right out of the box.

Signature

“Waiter waiter I’m not happy with my Zach Bass. Would you serve it on a silver platter with an apple on the side please?”

Posted: 01 August 2008 01:23 PM #5

I downloaded Proxifier, set it to route all traffic through the SOCKS proxy I set up using NetShare on the iPhone, and it works like a dream now - all and any internet app on my old Powerbook now works, connected to the net, including my trading software and ToS, via my iPhone…. wireless 3G tethering on an unlimited data plan rocks! :D

Signature

Posted: 01 August 2008 01:26 PM #6

This just seems too good to be true.  Hope not, though!

What kind of speed are y’all getting?

Signature

Posted: 01 August 2008 02:26 PM #7

Hmm…. having now run more tests, I can say that NetShare + Proxifier does not = perfect harmony.. some apps work, others still refuse to… I have a feeling a lot of geeks are going to be spending a lot of time coming up with a solution to this rolleyes

I have a feeling the problem lies with settings in Proxifier and the way it may conflict with the SOCKS settings in the Network Preferences… SleepyGeek - you know more about this than me.. just download the damn app and test it out for us will you? :D

Signature

• Posted: 01 August 2008 03:55 PM #8

Sorry Tommo - busy with visitors. Not much of one with proxies, and I’ve forgotten most of what else I ever knew.

It may be that Nullriver pointed out out to Apple that they couldn’t really block the basic feature because a web app in Safari can provide a tunnel AFAIK. There’s no way for the iPhone OS to tell it’s not just a web app accessing two web sites (one on a WiFi LAN and one on the internet).

Posted: 01 August 2008 05:26 PM #9

[quote author=“Mayor Quimby”][quote author=”$Billyall”][quote author=“Mayor Quimby”]NetShare back up!

Im gonna buy it before they pull it again and I dont even have my iphone yet :D

I’m really surprised.  REALLY.  Maybe Apple convinced AT&T it wouldn’t be used that frequently.  I dunno.  I couldn’t hit the buy button fast enough though.

It is patiently sitting alone in my App store! :D

Posted: 01 August 2008 06:04 PM #10

I picked it up too.  Now I just need that iPhone!

Would be great for traveling….would allow you to upload pictures from a real camera, files etc.

• Posted: 01 August 2008 10:43 PM #11

I feel kinda dumb, but I cannot find it.  Anybody have advice for me?

Posted: 01 August 2008 10:58 PM #12

Supposed to link to it here

“The item you requested is not currently available in the US store”

Damn looks like I got it just in time!!!

Sorry Capa…...maybe its just temporary again…. rolleyes

Posted: 02 August 2008 06:28 AM #13

Yep - seems to have been pulled again. I suspect that either its re-appearance was a mistake, or Apple had NullRiver pull it because its such a geeky implementation which requires more messing around with network settings than should be necessary. In other words, it wasn’t the kind of intuitive solution to a problem most users would require. I have a feeling we’ll see it re-appear in a modified form, with a Mac-side helper application, in the future.

In the meantime I’m glad I grabbed it when it briefly re-appeared the second time rolleyes

Signature

Posted: 02 August 2008 08:15 AM #14

link currently comes up with
    “item currently not available in the US store”
    that “US” is telling.

• Posted: 02 August 2008 09:22 AM #15

Downloaded the app immediately when it re-appeared. Works like a champ out here in the middle of the Finnish countryside, next to a peaceful lake.

Just out of the sauna after a refreshing lake swim, nursing a beer, and firing up the grill momentarily.

Conclusion: Life’s a bitch!