Apple Store Reports

• Posted: 01 August 2008 01:09 PM

There’s no economic downturn in Portland, OR.  At least that’s what you’d think if you stood in the middle of the Apple Store downtown at 12:30 on a Friday afternoon.

The place was packed today.  It was interesting that several customers were in business suits.  I’ve never seen that before.  Most people inside the store were looking to buy laptops.  This was confirmed by two customer reps.  It’s “Back to School” time officially. :D

There were a dozen people lined up outside the store in a roped area waiting to buy and activate iPhones.  The guy at the head of the line said it wasn’t too bad.  He’d only been waiting about 15 minutes.  He was wearing a suit, carrying a softsided briefcase, and texting on his (soon to be retired?) BlackBerry.

My take is that any economic woes have not yet touched the typical Apple customer.  “We don’t sell junk” has turned out to be a pretty good philosophy.  I wonder whether the $300 Dell desktop crowd is in a buying mood lately. rolleyes

• Posted: 01 August 2008 01:13 PM #1

BTW, the roped off area out in the mall aisle is exactly where the pathetic Verizon smartphone promotional kiosk used to be.  Someone has a sense of humor, or maybe irony. :wink:

Posted: 01 August 2008 01:17 PM #2

Similar here in NYC suburbs.  Packed stores with people from every conceivable demo.  The best part is that I have 4 very close friends that are still waiting for the ‘dust to settle’ (although I keep telling them it has already).  3 are switching from Verizon and 1 is getting a new line.  I think the back to school promotion will REALLY give sales a kick in the pants - due to the amazing variety of apps available on what will be free iPod’s.  Throw in the 10% education discount and going with Apple this year is a serious NO-BRAINER!

Signature

The ends don’t justify the means…

• Posted: 01 August 2008 01:26 PM #3

[quote author=“Mayor Quimby”]Similar here in NYC suburbs.  Packed stores with people from every conceivable demo.  The best part is that I have 4 very close friends that are still waiting for the ‘dust to settle’ (although I keep telling them it has already).  3 are switching from Verizon and 1 is getting a new line.  I think the back to school promotion will REALLY give sales a kick in the pants - due to the amazing variety of apps available on what will be free iPod’s.  Throw in the 10% education discount and going with Apple this year is a serious NO-BRAINER!

My wife’s university has gone All-Mac this year.  Each incoming freshman has always received a “free” laptop as part of the admissions process (tuition is substantial).  The school also publishes lectures, class notes, and vital student information on their wireless campus network, so the free Touch that comes with a new Macbook is a necessity.

I’m trying to decide whether I need to replace my old iBook this month.  The free Touch is an added motivation.

Posted: 01 August 2008 01:29 PM #4

[quote author=“Zeke”][quote author=“Mayor Quimby”]Similar here in NYC suburbs.  Packed stores with people from every conceivable demo.  The best part is that I have 4 very close friends that are still waiting for the ‘dust to settle’ (although I keep telling them it has already).  3 are switching from Verizon and 1 is getting a new line.  I think the back to school promotion will REALLY give sales a kick in the pants - due to the amazing variety of apps available on what will be free iPod’s.  Throw in the 10% education discount and going with Apple this year is a serious NO-BRAINER!

My wife’s university has gone All-Mac this year.  Each incoming freshman has always received a “free” laptop as part of the admissions process (tuition is substantial).  The school also publishes lectures, class notes, and vital student information on their wireless campus network, so the free Touch that comes with a new Macbook is a necessity.

I’m trying to decide whether I need to replace my old iBook this month.  The free Touch is an added motivation.

I notice there are many solid education-oriented apps on iTunes (mostly free).  I would expect universities to come up with school-specific apps before long.  And then there will probably be a CliffsNotes app soon (which really would have helped me in school!) and the like.  Plus, with iPhones, you can just record your lectures onto our phone.

Signature

The ends don’t justify the means…

• Posted: 01 August 2008 08:00 PM #5

[quote author=“Mayor Quimby”]I notice there are many solid education-oriented apps on iTunes (mostly free).  I would expect universities to come up with school-specific apps before long.  And then there will probably be a CliffsNotes app soon (which really would have helped me in school!) and the like.  Plus, with iPhones, you can just record your lectures onto our phone.

Check out iTunes U. Colleges have been posting content as Podcasts for quite some time. Lectures at many colleges across the country are available for iPods and now iPhones. This is an established trend and provides for consumer synergies across Apple’s product lines.

Posted: 01 August 2008 08:49 PM #6

For what its worth the store in Ft Lauderdale has had lines all week according to the calls I have made…. will be going by maybe in the morning to try and grab my iphone…...depends if I go do any late night carousing later. LOL According to the availability charts almost every single store is showing availability for all three models in stock tonight for the weekend. California and a few other states is not displaying correctly though….not showing any data at all…just a bug in their data.

May be a good weekend to try and grab one if you have been waiting like I have.

Wait wait wait there are none available at the Ft Lauderdale store….all sold out…dont go there ...try Boca instead THey have plenty there! :D

• Posted: 02 August 2008 03:42 PM #7

I was at the Glendale, CA about 2:00 p.m. local time (Cupertino Daylight Time).

There was a line outside the store for the iPhones. One of the sales associates said it was a 2-hour plus wait.

Apparently the AT&T credit check or approval process takes a bit of time. He asked if we were current T customers and then noticed we had iPhones. Apparently the purchase process for existing T customers is less time consuming and less of a hassle than for consumers migrating to T when purchasing a new iPhone.

The store was moderately trafficked not including the iPhone customers queued outside the store. He had a small handful of tickets and said they were pretty much done for the day in terms of inventory versus demand.

Considering what T is paying for each phone in subsidy, I’m assuming the credit approval has taken on additional weight with the 3G iPhone versus the original when seeking T service for the first time.

Posted: 04 August 2008 01:41 PM #8

Apple Store Laval

Hi!

Took a bike ride to the Apple store in Laval today (around 2PM) so that my daughter could buy a iPod Nano.

About 50 persons in the store, saw at least 1 macbook pro sold in the 5 minutes i was in.

Interesting part was on the way out there is a rogers (cell carrier with iPhone in Canada) place. I over heard someone asking if they had any news on the iPhone. Answer was no we are still out. Not even a demo to play with

Posted: 04 August 2008 04:51 PM #9

Apple store business

I’ve been to a couple of Apple stores, and it’s a very odd retail situation:

As far as what they have to sell, there really isn’t much there. It almost boils down to computers, software, MP3 players, and assorted accessories. That’s just about it. Hell, the last time I visited an Apple store they didn’t even have RAM available for Macbooks. I mean, c’mon - with the only upgrade path being from 2gb to 4gb, that should be an obvious thing to keep in stock, shouldn’t it?

I’m a bona fide Apple loyalist and at the same time, I’m a pragmatic shopper. I know what I want ahead of time, I go buy it, then I leave (very much a dude). So I’m pretty much floored by what I see every time I’ve visited: Elbow-to-elbow people milling around, asking clerks questions, checking out the goods, etc. Those stores are always, always hoppin’. I have a friend who works at the Apple store in Des Moines, IA who told me that they are the #1 retail operator in the mall they’re located at. That could very likely be based on square footage, but even so w/ what is available for sale that’s an impressive feat.

Why are they so successful? I think there is definitely a boutique/ tech lust factor, but more importantly Apple seems to have succeeded at building a community around their products. They do product demonstrations. They have a Genius Bar for tech support. They hold classes for software training. Etc, etc. Not your standard retail outlet by any means.

Posted: 04 August 2008 05:27 PM #10

The San Diego Store very busy

There are three Apple Stores in the San Diego Area. I frequent the Fashion Valley location so I can’t comment on the Otay Mesa and University Town Center stores, but as busy as those malls are I assume the Apple Stores there also gets a lot of traffic.

From what I see the iPods and iPhones, as well as accessories for them get most of the shoppers. However, the Macs also get business and I see new purchases going out the door. The software, books, and Mac accessories get shoppers, but not as much and that may have to do with the limited selection. Let us not forget the Genius Bar which always busy.

The Apple Store is adult day care and my wife parks me there while she shoe shops or whatever. I miss the training “theater” that they removed when they renovated the store, I always learned something and I could sit there with my iBook and take advantage of the free WiFi.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 04 August 2008 08:52 PM #11

[quote author=“DawnTreader”]He asked if we were current T customers and then noticed we had iPhones. Apparently the purchase process for existing T customers is less time consuming and less of a hassle than for consumers migrating to T when purchasing a new iPhone.

Considering what T is paying for each phone in subsidy, I’m assuming the credit approval has taken on additional weight with the 3G iPhone versus the original when seeking T service for the first time.

Wow, aren’t you cool.

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics

• Posted: 04 August 2008 09:11 PM #12

[quote author=“iJack”][quote author=“DawnTreader”]He asked if we were current T customers and then noticed we had iPhones. Apparently the purchase process for existing T customers is less time consuming and less of a hassle than for consumers migrating to T when purchasing a new iPhone.

Wow, aren’t you cool.

Not really… but with all of the iPhones flowing out of the stores with two year contracts, I think T is worth an investment look. The company may not have gotten everything right, but it did say yes to the iPhone.  LOL

• Posted: 04 August 2008 10:17 PM #13

Re: Apple Store Reports

[quote author=“Zeke”]There’s no economic downturn in Portland, OR.  At least that’s what you’d think if you stood in the middle of the Apple Store downtown at 12:30 on a Friday afternoon.

The place was packed today.  It was interesting that several customers were in business suits.  I’ve never seen that before.  Most people inside the store were looking to buy laptops.  This was confirmed by two customer reps.  It’s “Back to School” time officially. :D

There were a dozen people lined up outside the store in a roped area waiting to buy and activate iPhones.  The guy at the head of the line said it wasn’t too bad.  He’d only been waiting about 15 minutes.  He was wearing a suit, carrying a softsided briefcase, and texting on his (soon to be retired?) BlackBerry.

My take is that any economic woes have not yet touched the typical Apple customer.  “We don’t sell junk” has turned out to be a pretty good philosophy.  I wonder whether the $300 Dell desktop crowd is in a buying mood lately. rolleyes

Oh, and BTW, Apple has three stores in the Portland area.  It’s not like we’re a backwater.

Posted: 05 August 2008 12:41 PM #14

CRAP! I posted over (deleted) my original review. Thought I had clicked the “reply” link, but had hit the Edit/Delete link instead.

Sorry, guess my original post is gone forever!!

:dunce:  :dunce:  :dunce:

Signature

/.doug
    "Any sufficiently advanced Apple technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C. Clarke, 2008wink

Posted: 06 August 2008 03:18 PM #15

i’m at the 5th ave store. Jam pack Line up for iphone outside the store really crazy