Lord Of The Rings Movie Thread

Posted: 31 December 2001 10:47 AM

I could have sworn there was already a Lord of the Rings movie thread already started, but it must have been part of another post.  Hence this thread. 

This might be among the most anticipated movies since Nathalie Portman donned a headdress and a ton of facial makeup.  Even more so for some I would imagine.

What do you think?  I think it looks pretty darned good so far.  Elijah Wood seems to be a good Frodo, for instance.

OK, I ADMIT IT!  WHEN I WAS IN THE 7TH GRADE, I HAD AN “I’D RATHER BE A HOBBIT” T-SHIRT! I ACTUALLY WORE IT TO SCHOOL!

Crap, did I say that out loud?

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 06 August 2001 05:10 AM #1

I think that LotR is definitely the most anticipated movie in a long while, and for good reason.  What I have seen of it so far has been amazing!  The characters seem to fit their parts so well, especially Ian McKellan (sp?) as Gandalf.  He’s perfect.  Also, the worlds seen in the pictures and trailers seem so deep and realistic it almost brings tears to my eye.  I think these movies will be some of the greatest of all time because the story is one of the greatest of all time.

Bryan, I re-read the novels this summer and found myself thinking (and in some cases) talking in the style and mannerisms of Gandalf and the hobbits.  Scary, isn’t it?

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 06 August 2001 05:33 AM #2

Kyle and I have a long-running joke about the overuse of “Lo!” in the Return of the King.  One of my pet peeves about the series, as it were.

That’s only tangentially related to your post, Brad, so bear with me. 

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 06 August 2001 07:02 AM #3

Have you guys heard the latest rumor about the LoTR movies? Apparently the producers of LoTR decided that the story wouldn’t be interesting enough for the younger audiences, so they have licensed the Jar-Jar BinksTM character from LucasFilms. They thought he would add a little comic relief to an otherwise intelligent and sophisticated story with his quirky voice and zany antics. Also expect an appearance from the EwoksTM in the Return of the King installment of LoTR. I’m looking forward to that immensely.

Signature

May you live in interesting times.
    —Ancient Chinese curse

• Posted: 06 August 2001 12:10 PM #4

What’s going on with this Lurtz character?  He’s the only movie-only character mentioned on theonering.net site, but why do they feel the need to add any new characters?  I don’t think they should be messing with perfection.

• Posted: 06 August 2001 12:20 PM #5

With any book made into a movie, everything can’t be told in the limited time of a movie, so it gets cut or changed.  Many of these movies ruin what everyone liked about the books (the director takes on the role of God).  LotR is supposed to stick extremely close to the books save a few minor areas.  They did take out Tom Bombadil for various reasons and a few other modifications.  I think it will still be true to the series.

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 06 August 2001 12:44 PM #6

Okay, I know I will get hammered for this, but I’d rather see a movie version of Bored of the Rings.

Thump. Thump. Thump. Swish.
    “It’s a ballhog!”

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 06 August 2001 01:11 PM #7

I’ll pretend I didn’t read that, tbone. 

Check out some nice new pics:

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/2/997121671

Its coming,

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

Posted: 06 August 2001 03:53 PM #8

I love the Bored of the Rings!  I was just explaining it to Kyle a couple of weeks ago.  I know I still have my copy, and I think I will read it again. 

Signature

• Posted: 06 August 2001 07:48 PM #9

On 2001-08-06 18:53, Bryan wrote:
    I love the Bored of the Rings!  I was just explaining it to Kyle a couple of weeks ago.  I know I still have my copy, and I think I will read it again. 

Apologies for going a bit off-topic, but Bored of the Rings was reprinted within the last four or five years. If you liked LotR and have the ability to laugh at yourself, BotR is certainly worth a look-see.

Signature

- Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 07 August 2001 12:24 AM #10

Hi Folks! I just saw the story about the ibook in a shot from E!Online and was pretty darn psyched to see a link to TheOneRing…Thanks! As you probably figured out by now, TheOneRing.net was designed completely on a mac.. Not to mention we do all of our presentations and conferences using my Powerbook.  I always say, there is just something about websites designed on macs that make them stand out. I’m not sure what it is, but I can spot them a mile away.

Feel free to email me any questions you might have about the movies.

*bow*

Signature

Posted: 07 August 2001 12:33 AM #11

Hey Calisuri,

Welcome to our boards.  I was very impressed with TheOneRing.net, and in retrospect it makes sense it was designed on a Mac.  Good to have you here. 

Look for some contact from one of our staff members soon™.

In the meanwhile, I hope you enjoy hanging out here too.

Signature

Posted: 02 September 2001 12:37 PM #12

On 2001-08-06 07:55, Bryan wrote:
    I could have sworn there was already a Lord of the Rings movie thread already started, but it must have been part of another post.  Hence this thread. 

This might be among the most anticipated movies since Nathalie Portman donned a headdress and a ton of facial makeup.  Even more so for some I would imagine.

What do you think?  I think it looks pretty darned good so far.  Elijah Wood seems to be a good Frodo, for instance.

OK, I ADMIT IT!  WHEN I WAS IN THE 7TH GRADE, I HAD AN “I’D RATHER BE A HOBBIT” T-SHIRT! I ACTUALLY WORE IT TO SCHOOL!

Crap, did I say that out loud?

That’s okay!  I had a “Where’s the Beef?” tee shirt that I wore to school.  Anyone remember the old Wendy’s ads with the old lady saying that? 

Signature

Oh, I’m looking right at you, big daddy.

Posted: 02 September 2001 12:40 PM #13

The last movie I saw in theaters was American Beauty.  But you can bet your sweet butt that I will be in line to see the Lord Of The Rings.  I can’t wait!  The quicktime preview is fantastic and it looks like the movie is going to be very professionally done.  Thankfully. 

Signature

Oh, I’m looking right at you, big daddy.

• Posted: 07 September 2001 12:26 PM #14

I have to post this because it makes me even more excited for the movies.  These will be the best movies in a long time!

http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=10098

WARNING: Spoilers ahead for those who have not read the book, plus some spoilers specific to the movie story.  Read at your own risk!

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 08 September 2001 04:34 AM #15

On 2001-09-07 15:26, bpsmith wrote:

WARNING: Spoilers ahead for those who have not read the book, plus some spoilers specific to the movie story.  Read at your own risk!

Rosebud was a sled? We all knew that.

And for the young kiddywinkies, Darth Vader was really Luke’s father.

And The English patient doesn’t survive.

Then the Titanic sinks with Leonardo DiCaprio. (And there was much rejoicing.)

Oh, and in The Crying Game, [BOOM! Thud!]

Signature

- Oscar Wilde