iPhone
Tablet Computer
New line of laptop/notebook CPUs
Home file server machine
Something completely new
  • Posted: 25 September 2008 11:57 AM #16

Re: The Brick

[quote author=“Zeke”]Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer, July 21, 2008:

We will be delivering state-of-the-art new products that I cannot discuss today that our competitors will not be able to match.

OK, what are our best guesses about the “Brick”?  Entirely new technology/application/market?  New twist on an existing product?

Did Apple ever explicitly refer to this as the “Brick”? Because I’ve assumed that Oppenheimer’s comment was in reference to the new iPods.

Remember, to Apple, all products are “revolutionary at a price competitors can’t match”. Remember the iPod HiFi? The same was said about that.

• Posted: 25 September 2008 12:01 PM #17

We can certainly expect new MacBooks/Pros in October (the 14th?). And while AppleTv needs an update, there’s no certainty that there will be any other announcement along with the books. Any really new and exciting product ( a tablet, for example) should have it’s own release event.

• Posted: 26 September 2008 05:43 AM #18

I think it’s a GPS-encoded device that, using an iPhone, will allow you to bean idiot drivers who don’t know what a PASSING lane is for. I’d buy a dozen.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 26 September 2008 05:57 AM #19

There will be NO new product. He said that there would be product revamps that will sell at prices the competition can’t match.

Signature

aapl $1000 by 2011 wink

• Posted: 26 September 2008 07:02 AM #20

I wonder if the rumor mill didn’t catch wind of this project from over at Gizmodo.

RP Cuento sent us this time-lapse video showing how he built his 2,558-piece Lego Mac Pro, which he dubs Bricked Mac. He also told us a few more facts about this fantastic Lego computer, starting with a basic question: Does it overheat?

It doesnt really overheat too badly. If I’m running batch compressor stuff, I’ll just pop open the side, which is removable.

The box took 14 hours to build. It includes a Mac Mini with a 250GB hard drive hack, with the system drive being an ESATA drive. The Hackintosh running Mac OS X, the second computer inside the box, uses:

2.4GHz Intel Q6600 Quad Core
    Gigabyte ep35-ds3l motheboard
    BFG NVIDIA 8800gt with 512 Mbytes
    2GB of 800MHz RAM
    750 and 400GB harddrives

-Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 27 September 2008 04:05 PM #21

Apple TV replacement looms?

Sat, 09/27/2008 - 13:38 ? Andy Space

The weekend Apple rumour machine has clipped across to the Apple TV, with venerable website TUAW reporting insider sources who claim existing versions of that product are set to be removed from sale by September 30.

The report adds “Additionally, the e-mail says that there will be a webcast “kick off” on September 30”. A Tuesday. Is this an Apple-Tuesday?

Naturally, the report then speculates the move could see the introduction of a new model Apple TV, perhaps even a combined machine expressing elements of both the Mac mini and Apple’s “in your den” ‘hobby’ product.

Is this related to the brick?

• Posted: 27 September 2008 08:02 PM #22

[quote author=“willrob”]

Apple TV replacement looms?

Sat, 09/27/2008 - 13:38 ? Andy Space

The weekend Apple rumour machine has clipped across to the Apple TV, with venerable website TUAW reporting insider sources who claim existing versions of that product are set to be removed from sale by September 30.

The report adds “Additionally, the e-mail says that there will be a webcast “kick off” on September 30”. A Tuesday. Is this an Apple-Tuesday?

Naturally, the report then speculates the move could see the introduction of a new model Apple TV, perhaps even a combined machine expressing elements of both the Mac mini and Apple’s “in your den” ‘hobby’ product.

Is this related to the brick?

A comment from TUAW:

The story I hear over on Page Mill Road is that Apple is going to make a bid on Tivo Inc—and that’s why they’re ending AppleTV.

:drool:

• Posted: 27 September 2008 11:24 PM #23

[quote author=“Zeke”][quote author=“capablanca”]Great post, Zeke.
    I like the idea of a tower both in the context of it being a Windows killer and because I would like to buy one.

...  But the more likely and doable item is the mid-range, customizable desktop tower.  It just makes a lot of sense, for many of the same reasons that the Mac mini made sense as a switcher machine.

I’m having a little trouble understanding how this could be a product that Apple’s competitors couldn’t match?

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

• Posted: 28 September 2008 01:16 AM #24

[quote author=“coaten”][quote author=“Zeke”][quote author=“capablanca”]Great post, Zeke.
    I like the idea of a tower both in the context of it being a Windows killer and because I would like to buy one.

...  But the more likely and doable item is the mid-range, customizable desktop tower.  It just makes a lot of sense, for many of the same reasons that the Mac mini made sense as a switcher machine.

I’m having a little trouble understanding how this could be a product that Apple’s competitors couldn’t match?

I’m still wondering what evidence there is that the new product transition wasn’t the new iPods earlier this month. Did I miss something?

• Posted: 28 September 2008 07:02 AM #25

With only a couple of days left in the quarter, any new product would have to be announced either Monday or Tuesday.

Posted: 28 September 2008 09:18 AM #26

[quote author=“willrob”]With only a couple of days left in the quarter, any new product would have to be announced either Monday or Tuesday.

Yup, Tuesday!

I have actually had a nagging feeling that products have been delayed recently.  I think after the mobile me debacle they can not afford another lame launch and are being very careful and perhaps holding back on planned introductions.

Posted: 28 September 2008 03:59 PM #27

I thought there were two distinct and different items… a product transition in Q4 (iPods), and a new product after that. SJ mentioned several new products in the pipeline.

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

• Posted: 28 September 2008 04:27 PM #28

[quote author=“willrob”]With only a couple of days left in the quarter, any new product would have to be announced either Monday or Tuesday.

I believe the quarter ends on the last saturday in the quarter ie it ended on saturday Sept 27. Look at the previous 10Qs for confirmation.

I agree and am optimistic that there will be some kind of an announcement this coming tuesday.

• Posted: 29 September 2008 05:08 AM #29

Here is a BRICK I would buy

http://cultofmac.com/hoping-apples-brick-is-first-all-screen-laptop/3230

:drool: