AAPL News Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 28 September 2008 07:31 PM

Big news on the bail out. What small news might impact AAPL?

Edited to archive.

• Posted: 29 September 2008 04:18 AM #1

Nothing boring about Apple

Morgan Stanley downgrades Apple (AAPL 128.24) to Equal Weight from Overweight…

RBC downgrades Apple (AAPL 128.24) to Sector Perform from Outperform

• Posted: 29 September 2008 04:38 AM #2

[quote author=“SNIPUS”]Nothing boring about Apple

That’s fine and all BUT which sector? (I know technology - but is apple a phone company, a Computing company or a mobile entertainment company?)

Signature

• Posted: 29 September 2008 04:46 AM #3

[quote author=“rattyuk”][quote author=“SNIPUS”]Nothing boring about Apple

That’s fine and all BUT which sector? (I know technology - but is apple a phone company, a Computing company or a mobile entertainment company?)

Anyone has RCB and MS comments about their downgrade?

Wonder what happens when Apple annouce 8M iPhones sold Q4? AAPL tanks to $90?

Posted: 29 September 2008 04:52 AM #4

[quote author=“rattyuk”][quote author=“SNIPUS”]Nothing boring about Apple

It seems AAPL gets taken down on bad news from any of them. Dell slowdown AAPL tanks. RIMM slowdown, AAPL tanks.  :oh:

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 September 2008 04:56 AM #5

officially Apple is in the sector of Tech/hardware

Posted: 29 September 2008 08:16 AM #6

PED provides some much needed positive news for AAPL this morning .

Rumors that Apple is working on EVDO and CDMA versions of the iPhone, opening up the iPhone to those that absolutely can’t work with AT&T.

• Posted: 29 September 2008 09:24 AM #7

[quote author=“SNIPUS”]Nothing boring about Apple

Morgan Stanley downgrades Apple (AAPL 128.24) to Equal Weight from Overweight…

“Morgan Stanley analyst Kathryn Huberty cut her rating on the stock to equal-weight from overweight. Huberty said overall PC sales are slowing, and Apple doesn’t have a presence in the market for PCs that are priced less than $1,000—which is the one area of the sector that is growing.”

There are so many logical errors here that I don’t even know where to start. Huberty demonstrates monumental ignorance of Apple’s market and products. But this isn’t the first time she’s gotten it wrong. She’s missed on Apple revenue projections by as nuch as 20% in the past. A monkey throwing darts could do better.

• Posted: 29 September 2008 10:47 AM #8

[quote author=“Zeke”][quote author=“SNIPUS”]
    Huberty demonstrates monumental ignorance of Apple’s market and products. But this isn’t the first time she’s gotten it wrong. She’s missed on Apple revenue projections by as nuch as 20% in the past. A monkey throwing darts could do better.

Apple 2.0 flags AFB discussion and cites Andy Zaky’s report that Huberty is the “worst” of the Apple analysts:

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/09/29/apple-shares-took-a-nosedive/

Posted: 29 September 2008 10:54 AM #9

[quote author=“philiped”]Apple 2.0 flags AFB discussion and cites Andy Zaky’s report that Huberty is the “worst” of the Apple analysts:

http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/09/29/apple-shares-took-a-nosedive/

Thanks PED, hopefully it creates some intelligent thought on the sudden drop in AAPL.

AAAHH!!!

• Posted: 29 September 2008 01:15 PM #10

From the WSJ ... wonder if meaningfull

Apple Inc. (AAPL) granted millions of dollars in restricted stock units on Friday to its senior executives, including its chief operating officer and chief financial officer, according to regulatory filings.

• Posted: 29 September 2008 05:43 PM #11

I’m actually frustrated by this. The analyst today lowered his EPS forecasts which tanked the stock, but raised his iPhone numbers.

We all know that AAPL falls at earnings when, regardless of it’s EPS, it doesn’t meet x-amount of iPods/Macs/iPhones. He should have just left his iPhone numbers where they were. We need upside safety for this earnings.

Posted: 29 September 2008 06:01 PM #12

[quote author=“superbaka”]We need upside safety for this earnings.

In this climate I don’t think it matters what Apple has sold. The market has already decided the next couple of years will be bleak for Apple, regardless of what anyone in the conference call. I will not take a position into AAPL’s earnings. Or GOOG’s until it is clear that the bear is dead.

I know RIMM does, but are there any others that also tend to influence AAPL when their earnings are badly received?

Signature

Throughout all my years of investing I’ve found that the big money was never made in the buying or the selling. The big money was made in the waiting. ? Jesse Livermore

Posted: 29 September 2008 06:31 PM #13

[quote author=“superbaka”]I’m actually frustrated by this. The analyst today lowered his EPS forecasts which tanked the stock, but raised his iPhone numbers.

We all know that AAPL falls at earnings when, regardless of it’s EPS, it doesn’t meet x-amount of iPods/Macs/iPhones. He should have just left his iPhone numbers where they were. We need upside safety for this earnings.

That’s the typical plan…inflate the number to ridiculous and unachievable levels and sell the stock when it doesn’t meet “analyst’s estimates.”  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 29 September 2008 06:39 PM #14

[quote author=“wheeles”]
    I know RIMM does, but are there any others that also tend to influence AAPL when their earnings are badly received?

Dell PC sales slow = -1 Apple
    Nokia sales slow = -1 Apple
    Rim sales slow = -1 Apple
    AT&T sales slow = -1 Apple
    Foxconn sales slow = -1 Apple
    SNDK sales slow = [sometimes -1, sometimes +1]
    MS sales slow = 0 Apple
    BBY sales slow = -1 Apple

thats -6 for Apple… game over. :cry:

Of course the rest of us know the real score. wink

• Posted: 30 September 2008 02:48 AM #15

Technology marches on in Baltimore. Yesterday Sprint went live with Wimax. It’s 4g. Rates look reasonable. I’ll be signing up when it goes live in and around DC.soon.