Weird Keyboard Problem Driving Me Nuts!

Posted: 27 June 2001 06:33 PM

I am having a weird keyboard problem that is driving me nuts, and I can’t find a solution for it.

Equipment:
    Mac OS X 10.0.3
    Classic Mac OS 9.1
    Sawtooth 500 MHz PowerMac G4
    Apple Extended Keyboard (the big aircraft carrier awesome keyboard)
    Griffin’s iMate ADB-USB converter

Symptoms:
    When I switch from Mac OS X to Classic, the keyboard seems to be sending repeat characters as fast as it can.  These immediately are written to wherever the cursor is in whatever document is in the foreground, if applicable.  The characters start when any key is hit.  This also happens when I drag and drop some text in Classic.  X apps are not affected by this.

Attempted solutions:
    Rebooted system. Ran fsck in single-user mode. Switched to a different Extended keyboard.  Neither solution changed anything.  Wait, that’s not true, shortly after I switched keyboards, the character being “typed” switched from a “1” to an “8,” though it was a “1” at first on the second keyboard too.

This is a serious issue for me because of the danger of typos.  If you have any suggestions, no matter how lame they may appear, lay ‘em on me! 

Thanks,

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 07:24 AM #1

This is a known issue with Classic.  I think MacFixit had a story on it.  I’m sure will be fixed by Apple with the next release of Classic (9.2???)

In the meantime, check out this thread on the MacFixit forums :

Hope that helps.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Retro on 2001-06-18 10:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2001-06-18 18:17 ]</font>

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 18 June 2001 07:56 AM #2

Gods, but I love the Mac community. That does indeed help, Retro, thanks!

For anyone else reading this, I have determined that dragging and dropping within Classic will also cause this problem.  Also, I have been using 10.0.3 for weeks without this problem.

Signature

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 08:20 AM #3

Nice catch Retro!

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 18 June 2001 08:36 AM #4

I was all excited because I thought I had it figured it out after reading that thread at MacFixit.  Turns out that the Palm Serial monitor is NOT it. 

Signature

• Posted: 18 June 2001 09:48 AM #5

Thanks guys, I like helping people out when I can.  It doesn’t sound like anyone has found a solution to the problem yet, although a lot of people suspect OmniWeb, I believe that it is probably something funky with the Classic environment.

I have encountered this same problem on my machine, but it went away.  It was only sporadic and temporary.  I’m not really sure what I did to fix it, but I do reboot once in awhile, and I know some people were having success by relaunching classic… so…

9.2 is on the way.  My money is on an Apple fix.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 18 June 2001 12:07 PM #6

After reading through that post to its entirety, I was able to isolate the problem to OmniWeb too.  It’s the last digit that is typed into a password field that gets repeated in Classic.  Quit OmniWeb and the problem goes away.  That is the case until you type in another password.  That at least offers a work around, even if amazingly inconvenient.

The fact that it seems connected to OmniWeb is all the more interesting in that after the problem starts, it does not require OmniWeb to make the symptoms appear.

Signature

Posted: 27 June 2001 06:33 PM #7

Has 10.0.4 fixed this problem for you?

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.