AAPL News Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 22 October 2008 09:17 PM

The regular Apple News thread went missing. So maybe this can be a new one.

This is the New York Times article about Apple’s netbook/tablet (or so they think). I think a better idea of what the device is appears in the comments.

• Posted: 22 October 2008 11:28 PM #1

An interesting Ars article on Intel’s dis of the iPhone.

http://tiny.cc/mAkyO

The discussion after the story has some interesting perspectives on Intel’s ability to drive “Atom” where it needs to go.  Makes it much clearer to me why Steve chose to buy his new chip developers.  Where’s SG when we need him?

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 23 October 2008 08:00 AM #2

Mossberg reviews new MacBooks

• Posted: 23 October 2008 06:18 PM #3

Daniel Eran Dilger has a follow up on the Steve Jobs “heart attack” scandal:

The fraudulent report of Steve Jobs? heart attack that never actually happened was originated by an 18 year old with unclear motives. The motives of those repeating the story were very clear however.

A Bloomberg brief noted that the teen?s fraudulent report was uploaded to CNN?s iReport website and then immediately published without any fact checking by SiliconAlleyInsider blogger Henry Blodget, a former Merrill Lynch analyst who was charged with civil securities fraud by the SEC in 2003.

Full article can be found Here .

Signature

• Posted: 24 October 2008 02:30 AM #4

Is today the day? Capitulation ?  Could this be what Art Cashin was referring to yesterday. Watch the volume today. Currently Asia and Europe crashing. NAS and Dow futures sharply down. This will be an interesting day. Apple down 7 dollars in Europe at the $91 area. OPEC announced a one and a half million barrel per day cut but oil is down to $63. Gold down under $700 at $687.  Wow. today will be remembered for a while
    Hope for NAS volume in excess of 5 billion shares

What are your plans investment wise?

Posted: 24 October 2008 02:54 AM #5

[quote author=“SNIPUS”]Is today the day? Capitulation ?  Could this be what Art Cashin was referring to yesterday. Watch the volume today. Currently Asia and Europe crashing. NAS and Dow futures sharply down. This will be an interesting day. Apple down 7 dollars in Europe at the $91 area. OPEC announced a one and a half million barrel per day cut but oil is down to $63. Gold down under $700 at $687.  Wow. today will be remembered for a while

With the DOW down 500 in PM, I think that for my sanity, as a long investor, I’ll stay away from any screen today rolleyes

• Posted: 24 October 2008 03:07 AM #6

In the pre market futures action the S&P is limit down as is the dow futures so the 500 points on the dow is not reality. Have to wait for the open to see how low it really is. The NASDAQ futures down 84 is more reflective. Looks like panic is likely to set in to join the unwinding by hedgies

Posted: 24 October 2008 03:30 AM #7

CME limit down info pdf for those interested
    Buckle your seatbelts, gonna be a wild one rolleyes

Posted: 24 October 2008 06:05 AM #8

The Future of the Mac mini

The Future of the Mac mini
    So how about the future of the mini? Is it nearing the end of life or just waiting out the refresh cycle? (Surely this is the reason many of you are reading this article no matter how highly I think of my above opinions.)

Macminicolo is certain there is another mini on the way. Here are some changes we expect to see:

The Mac mini will use the new Mini DisplayPort that was recently showcased on the Macbook line. This will save considerable port real estate on the back of the Mac mini.
      Here

The Mac mini will join all other Macs in being able to address 4GB of RAM. Currently, they are officially sold with up to 2GB of RAM, but can also support 3GB of RAM. (Though the latter configuration loses the minor dual channel benefits.)

Like the new Macbook, the Mac mini optical drive will be changed to a SATA connection. (It is currently a standard ATA/IDE cable.) This will obviously increase performance. But this change offers even more benefit for those who use the Mac mini as a server. (I have hundreds of Mac mini servers in here that have never once used their optical drive.) In ordering a Mac mini from Apple, there will be an option to have two SATA HDDs and eliminating the optical all together. With the new Remote Disc introduced with the Macbook Air, this option will be tempting for many.

Posted: 24 October 2008 06:08 AM #9

[quote author=“SNIPUS”]What are your plans investment wise?

Dig a hole in the backyard.  :wink:

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 24 October 2008 06:44 AM #10

[quote author=“Play Ultimate”]
    Dig a hole in the backyard.  :wink:

Will it have Firewire, or only USB?

Posted: 28 October 2008 06:57 AM #11

Rogers sells 255,000 iPhones, hurts rivals

Rogers today reported a large leap in its results for the summer quarter that were highlighted by the Canadian launch of the iPhone 3G. The telecoms company sold and activated a total of 255,000 iPhones between the device’s July 11th launch and the end of September, helping the carrier boost its net subscriber additions to 191,000 and increasing the company’s average income per user “considerably above” the average thanks to many attaching a data plan to their services.

Electronista

Posted: 28 October 2008 07:05 AM #12

Opinion: Apple’s new MacBook is a stealth business notebook

Some thoughts on the macbook in enterprise
      Computerworld
    The specs don’t really tell the most important part of the story, though. After more than 25 years of watching technology, I’ve come to believe in the consumerization of IT as a more powerful driver in the adoption of end-user technology by enterprises than most analysts and pundits allow for. I’m not predicting wholesale adoption of Macs by larger enterprises anytime soon, but the new MacBook will make the most significant inroads into the enterprise market of any Apple product, probably ever. It comes down to price/performance, price point, design focus, durability, suitability to task and market timing.

• Posted: 28 October 2008 12:55 PM #13

[quote author=“SNIPUS”]Is today the day? Capitulation ?  Could this be what Art Cashin was referring to yesterday. Watch the volume today. Currently Asia and Europe crashing. NAS and Dow futures sharply down. This will be an interesting day. Apple down 7 dollars in Europe at the $91 area. OPEC announced a one and a half million barrel per day cut but oil is down to $63. Gold down under $700 at $687.  Wow. today will be remembered for a while

Put half of all cash in AAPL, sit on the rest.  Also sit on massive amount of probably worthless Jan 09 $180 calls.  If they get to $4 I break even.  Can you say “fat chance”?

Posted: 29 October 2008 08:24 AM #14

Most Admired and most Innovative

Fortune ranked Apple as #1:

Most Admired Company

and also for Innovation:

Most Admired for Innovation

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore

• Posted: 29 October 2008 08:38 AM #15

Gizmodo has a link to an interesting take on why Apple had to remove Firewire from the new MacBooks. There simply was no space for it unless they removed ethernet or USB’ and the lack of space has to do with the movement of the drive bays.