AAPL News Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 06 November 2008 02:39 AM #61

According to this site , Orange will lower the price for the 8GB and possibly the 16GB model within the next few weeks.

interpretation of this piece of news can range from “OMG, iPHONES ARE NOT SELLING WELL” to “smells like an iPhone-update just in time for MacWorld”, without forgetting “this is insignificant news, meh” (which is the most plausible imo)

• Posted: 06 November 2008 03:03 AM #62

Wow   Bank of England cuts rate 150 basis points… this is huge. Pound and Euro down

• Posted: 06 November 2008 03:20 AM #63

[quote author=“willrob”]Not too significant, but the planned flagship store in NYC has been placed in dry dock.

Aesthetically, the exterior doesn’t do much for me.  Kind of busy and rather un-Apple. The neighborhood probably killed it along with the present economy.

• Posted: 08 November 2008 06:35 AM #64

Court response defends new Apple mobile hire’s jump from IBM

By Aidan Malley [AppleInsider]
    Published: 06:50 PM EST

Apple’s contentious decision to hire a former IBM executive has been explained by the iPhone and iPod maker—and the new recruit himself—as a carefully thought-out decision that doesn’t run afoul of earlier agreements.

While IBM believes that Mark Papermaster’s choice to replace Tony Fadell in Apple’s handheld division violates exit clauses in his contract forbidding work with a competitor for up to a year after leaving, court submissions found by InformationWeek reveal a response from Papermaster which asserts that there is no conflict between his tentative new role and his earlier work.

His argument centers around the specific nature of the products. IBM, he says, focuses exclusively on server-side hardware and software, pure data storage, as well as the services to support them both. None of these apply to his work with Apple’s handheld group, which covers very home-friendly devices like iPhone and iPod touch. That the two businesses would ever come into conflict would reportedly be a surprise.

““I do not recall a single instance of Apple being described as a competitor of IBM during my entire tenure at IBM,” Papermaster says.

He further argues that he won’t be involved with Apple acquisition PA Semi’s new projects in his leadership position, although this statement may be challenged given Apple’s recent confirmation that PA Semi is building iPhone ARM chips and so stands a possibility of having contact with Papermaster. The filing insists that PA Semi reports to Mansfield’s Mac group, not the handheld group’s eventual leader.

Apple meanwhile supports its new hire’s point of view, according to extra details unearthed by CNet. The electronics maker admits in its own commentary that Papermaster was chosen for his technical knowledge—Mac hardware chief Bob Mansfield said early on in the hiring process that he “fits the bill” for knowledge of semiconductors—but that it was ultimately looking for a senior executive first and specific capabilities second.

Appropriately, Apple’s Human Resources VP (and wife of Tony Fadell) Danielle Lambert has defended the entrant for his managerial skills and says that “nobody questioned” his ability to head up a development team, which ties directly with his new position. In a general statement, Apple touted both its new employee’s engineering skills as well as his “outstanding” leadership as motivating factors for signing him on with the firm.

Whether or not Apple and Papermaster are sincere has been called into question; CNet suggests that his claims of a too-narrow scope for his work may be a feint meant to dismiss the lawsuit even if it’s possible he may be in the position to expose the trade secrets at the heart of IBM’s complaint. As the new executive would still have some say over the features and speed of iPhone and iPod processors on an abstract level, he may be tangentially involved even if his level prevents him from directly guiding the chip designs.

The New York-based server giant isn’t waiting for a more definitive explanation of its former worker’s new job, however: in addition to its lawsuit, IBM is blocking Papermaster’s post-employment benefits.

Posted: 08 November 2008 07:55 AM #65

Papermaster Ordered to Stop Work at Apple

from Bloomberg

Papermaster ``will immediately cease his employment with Apple Inc. until further order of this court,’’ U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas in White Plains, New York, said yesterday in an order issued after markets closed.

Apple announced Nov. 4 that Papermaster had joined the Cupertino, California-based company as a senior vice president overseeing the engineering of the company’s portable music player and mobile phone.

``We are gratified that the court agrees with our request,’’ Fred McNeese, an IBM spokesman, said.

``We will comply with the court’s order, but are confident that Mark Papermaster will be able to ultimately join Apple when this dust settles,’’ said Steve Dowling, an Apple spokesman.

• Posted: 08 November 2008 11:33 AM #66

Re: Papermaster Ordered to Stop Work at Apple

[quote author=“Bryanyc”]from Bloomberg

Papermaster ``will immediately cease his employment with Apple Inc. until further order of this court,’’ U.S. District Judge Kenneth Karas in White Plains, New York, said yesterday in an order issued after markets closed.

Apple announced Nov. 4 that Papermaster had joined the Cupertino, California-based company as a senior vice president overseeing the engineering of the company’s portable music player and mobile phone.

``We are gratified that the court agrees with our request,’’ Fred McNeese, an IBM spokesman, said.

``We will comply with the court’s order, but are confident that Mark Papermaster will be able to ultimately join Apple when this dust settles,’’ said Steve Dowling, an Apple spokesman.

Years ago, I spent a great deal of time researching no-compete issues due to some personal involvement in this type of situation.

The thing here is this: Papermeister is being given a job at Apple (at least, for the next year) that does not compete with IBM in any way. Regardless of the exact wording of his no-compete clause (which I’ve seen on the web, and looks much like every other boilerplate no-compete clause I’ve seen at other companies; there is nothing special about his)...

IBM, today, does not compete with Apple as far as I can tell. It doesn’t matter that IBM competed with Apple over personal computers 25 years ago. All that matters is that today; IBM does not compete with Apple. IBM doesn’t sell MP3 players, has nothing to do with the music industry, consumer electronic devices, home entertainment systems like AppleTV, they’ve sold off their personal computer business, they certainly don’t make cell phones, have an online application store or music distribution business, and they don’t make operating systems that compete with OSX. The only overlap I see is XServe and that is a very small part of Apple’s business. All of the legs of Apple’s “stool” have no overlap with any of IBM’s business, which should mean: they don’t compete.

From a technical and practical standpoint, Papermeister’s initial position at Apple doesn’t appear to be competitive with IBM today; and from what I’ve read, doesn’t sound like it’s competitive with the work he was actually doing at IBM.

Just because IBM thinks that at some point in the future, Apple may compete with them, in my opinion isn’t grounds to prevent Papermeister from working at Apple. Fortune-telling isn’t part of no-compete agreements, as much as the past employer would like to make it so, whether they think that someday in the future, Apple will compete with them and that Papermeister will be part of that effort. Technically, what matters is the current state of affairs. (Otherwise, any company would be able to prevent their employees from working at any company they decided might be competitive with them in the future. Courts are not going to want to interpret no-compete agreements that way).

My take is this: Papermeister’s current job position at Apple doesn’t appear to compete with IBM, nor does the work that he’s being hired to perform (initially); I don’t see that Apple competes with IBM, or that IBM currently competes with Apple. If Papermeister’s job function stays the same for the next year, the spirit, intent, and functionality of the no-compete will then have been met. (Of course, it’s up to the court to actually decide this, and the arguments from both sides will be ongoing).

As far as -trade secrets- go: these are typically covered by non-disclosures. Non-disclosure is completely separate from a no-compete which ends after a year. Non-disclosure of trade secrets is typically not time limited… There’s no need for a no-compete to protect a company’s trade secrets from use by a departing employee as long as they’re covered by non-disclosure.

• Posted: 09 November 2008 02:17 PM #67

Sony BMG to Offer DRM-Free Music on Apple’s iTunes?

Sunday November 09, 2008 01:34 AM EST
    Written by arn [Mac Rumors]

9to5Mac believes that Sony BMG will soon begin offering their music catalog to Apple in the iTunes Plus format. iTunes Plus is Apple’s marketing term for higher quality (256kbit) audio tracks without any copy protection (DRM). Apple first started selling iTunes Plus tracks from EMI in May, 2007.

Despite Apple’s willingness to sell DRM-free music, the other major record labels have withheld this ability from the company in an effort to reduce iTunes’ marketshare in digital music downloads. The biggest beneficiary appears to be Amazon who currently offers DRM-free digital downloads from all four major music studios.

Sony BMG’s iTunes participation would leave Universal Music Group and Warner Music Group as the remaining Apple holdouts. If true, Macworld San Francisco could be a possible announcement date for the new agreement.

Posted: 09 November 2008 07:35 PM #68

I know the news about the TV tuner that Softbank plans for the iPhone in Japan was already mentioned before, here are two articles that details more what Softbank plans to do with it’s total cell lineup for the next few months

SoftBank to Release 1seg TV Tuner for iPhone 3G
    Article highlights:
    - one seg tuner to be released in another month or so
    - iPhone users in japan will get free wifi access at softbank mobile access points (eg. Mcdonalds Japan)
    - “emoji” (smileys et al) for email has been confirmed as coming soon.

SoftBank Announces 16 Handsets
    Article highlights
    - a new touchscreen model,supposedly with “multitouch”
    - a model with an HSDPA modem built in.. maybe “tethering” is coming ot Japan too?
    - a “Tiffany” model that believe it or not will sell for around US$120,000.00 (yup I double checked the zeroes)

Jose

• Posted: 10 November 2008 05:55 AM #69

9:39 (Dow Jones) Apple (AAPL) needs to make room on the trophy shelf. IPhone has now surpassed the Motorola (MOT) Razr as the top-selling cellphone in the US, according to NPD Group. The Razr has led the category since NPD began keeping count in 2005. More impressive, the iPhone costs $200 with a contract,  while Razrs are typically a free phone given away to new service subscribers. 

Overall, handset purchases fell 15% from a year ago in 3Q. The Blackberry Curve was No. 3.

Posted: 10 November 2008 06:21 AM #70

Profile of Tim Cook

Fortune has published a fairly extensive profile of Tim Cook.  He sounds like an ideal operations officer: low-profile, humble, exacting, knows manufacturing, inventory, negotiations.

On the other hand, would those qualities make for an ideal CEO, especially for a company as high-profile as Apple?

Personally I suspect Cook would only provide a temporary CEO.  Someone more ‘visionary’ seems necessary.  Ive is the obvious internal candidate in that regard, but is he at all interested in running a massive corporation?

Whilst I think the details of the article should be reassuring, another reminder of Steve’s health issues rarely makes the markets happy.

Edited: Fortune has another pro-Tim Cook piece , attributing AAPL’s late Feb recovery to his q&a session at the Goldman Sachs Technology Investment Symposium.  Maybe we need Tim to hold our hands again this month.

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

Posted: 10 November 2008 12:25 PM #71

I’m not sure how much I trust the ChangeWave folks, but their research suggests Apple kit maintains its desirability this holiday season.

“It’s not easy to increase market share in one of the worst spending environments in years,” writes Carton, but Apple seems poised to do so. Among those few consumers who plan to buy a laptop in the next three months, one-third said they planned to buy an Apple ? up from 29% in September.

The MacBook refresh is contributing to holiday shoppers’ interest in Apple.  Perhaps Andy Zaky’s Q1 forecast isn’t altogether mad.  :wink:

Signature

Ah, love, let us be true to one another! for the world… hath really neither joy, nor love, nor light, nor certitude, nor peace, nor help for pain

• Posted: 10 November 2008 02:28 PM #72

Two sides of the same coin (Krugerrand?)

Side one

Side two

Posted: 10 November 2008 03:19 PM #73

[quote author=“willrob”]Two sides of the same coin (Krugerrand?)

Side one

Side two

Side 2 discredits iPhone quality by using one persons app crashing experiences (his own).  I don’t think this is even worth the read.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 10 November 2008 05:43 PM #74

[quote author=“Winterpool”]I’m not sure how much I trust the ChangeWave folks, but their research suggests Apple kit maintains its desirability this holiday season.

“It’s not easy to increase market share in one of the worst spending environments in years,” writes Carton, but Apple seems poised to do so. Among those few consumers who plan to buy a laptop in the next three months, one-third said they planned to buy an Apple ? up from 29% in September.

The MacBook refresh is contributing to holiday shoppers’ interest in Apple.  Perhaps Andy Zaky’s Q1 forecast isn’t altogether mad.  :wink:

Actually, the dip last month for buying intentions for apple was used as an excuse for the fall in stock price…. Anyhow, the variability in the data seems to point more towards unavoidable errors and variance in the data than to anything real. The data needs to be averaged over at least 3 or 4 months to smooth out the random noise. It is unfortunate how these commentators deliver statements that are based only on the last little step (the month-to-month “jumps”), which has all the characteristics of being random noise, thus making any statement a random statement in itself.  rolleyes

Posted: 10 November 2008 06:38 PM #75

A view of the tech carnage to come.

This will be real bad for the NASDAQ of course:

A view of the tech carnage to come.

Signature

“Whatever happens in the stock market today has happened before and will happen again.”    - Jesse Livermore