Apple uPod history.

Posted: 23 October 2008 04:36 AM

An updated table of Apple’s guidance and performance:

A few notes:
    1: calculations may not be consistent due to rounding.
    2: EPS for 2009q1 are my calculations by using the mid-point in the range supplied by Apple.
    3: I haven’t made any estimates for 2009q1 yet.

A few observations:
    1: EPS uPodding has been toned down in F2008 to an average of 23% from an average of 52% in F2007.
    2: Apple guided at most $1.35 EPS for 2009q1. If it beats that estimate by 25%, the most recent uPod, EPS will be $1.69, in line with analyst estimates.

We live in interesting times.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 23 October 2008 05:33 AM #1

FWIW, these are all pretty obsolete now, with the rise in percentage of sales subject to “Subscription Accounting” at almost 40% the amount shown doesn’t even come close to providing meaningful information on how well the company is doing.

For example, this past QTR showed EPS of $1.26

When they were “really” $2.69 only they banked the actual money, and will slowly trickle it out and show it as “earned” at the rate of 1/8th per quarter.

That means they “actually” “made” “banked” over 144% *MORE THAN* that which was shown and reported.

I believe we REALLY need to pound this one home, everywhere, here and there, to try and jumpstart a few sleeping brains out there as to the reality of what massive increases AAPL is now achieving in YOY sales and profits.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 23 October 2008 05:46 AM #2

[quote author=“TanToday”]FWIW, these are all pretty obsolete now, with the rise in percentage of sales subject to “Subscription Accounting” at almost 40% the amount shown doesn’t even come close to providing meaningful information on how well the company is doing.

You are correct, but this is a chart of Apple’s guidance versus Apple’s actual results and a measure of managing expectations. I am quite sure that management knows very well the difference between GAAP and non-GAAP reporting.
    Let’s try to keep responses within the theme of the thread title, no matter how valid they may be.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 23 October 2008 06:08 AM #3

awacabot,

Recall subscription accounting has a negative impact on first few quarters’ eps because sales and admin costs are not deferred. This together with “foggy holiday season” justifies “lot of prudence”.  uPod of 25% is too low. 30%-50% is better.

Hence, GAAP eps could be between $1.76 to $2.12.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs